beginner fly fishing outfit for a kid

mcwillja

mcwillja

Hello forum,

Can anyone give me a good recommendation for the best cheap flyfishing combo/outfit for my 12 year old nephew? I can't spend more than $50.00 which is fine because he wants to learn how to flyfish but I am not sure he will stick with it because he has so many other activities/sports? Any help or feedback would be appreciated. I was thinking probably a 7'6" up to a 8'6" 4wt. combo.

Thanks

Not sure how good they are but Cabelas customer service is great so you can always return it but the prices are right.

Wind river

Coper river

Thank you Nate. The first rod is a bit out of my price range and the second is a possibility but was really hoping for a 4wt. with a max length of 8'6''

Yeah the Copper river is a 5wt. I understand the budget this but at 69 bucks that a great deal for a starter setup. Its normally 120. Good luck in your search.

mcwillja-

I'm in a similar position. I am giving my cousin around that age a bunch of old stuff (rod/reel/vise/fly tying gear, etc.).

I bought a Scientific Anglers System 1 456 reel on ebay today, then remembered I had a reel I could give to him. Long story short, if you want the reel I'll give it to you. I should get it sometime next week. I'm in Cuse during the week, so if you're in Cato I can meet up and give it to you. let me know if this works.

yo J,

Here's a bass pro combo for $49

http://www.basspro.com/White-River-Fly-Shop-Bugger-Fly-Rod-and-Reel-Outfit/product/1503121827/

That Copper River setup just dropped price again its down to 29.99

in all seriousness. Find a quality fly rod outfit that YOU like.. let him use it, and if he loses interest then you have yourself a quality backup rod, or one that you can sell and retrieve some of that investment back.

moon1284 wrote:
mcwillja-

I'm in a similar position. I am giving my cousin around that age a bunch of old stuff (rod/reel/vise/fly tying gear, etc.).

I bought a Scientific Anglers System 1 456 reel on ebay today, then remembered I had a reel I could give to him. Long story short, if you want the reel I'll give it to you. I should get it sometime next week. I'm in Cuse during the week, so if you're in Cato I can meet up and give it to you. let me know if this works.

Moon thank you so much for the offer but its ok I do have a few extra reels myself I could use. I really do appreciate the offer and it still amazes me the generosity on this forum.

Back