bamboo rod kit

R

rubby

has anyone made a bamboo rod from a kit? if so was it good or junkor should consider a custom bamboo

A couple thoughts:

The first is where is the blank being made. "Kits" usually have Chinese made blanks which have quality that varies widely. On the other hand they are usually relatively inexpensive. A blank made by an American (or other western country) maker is not going to be cheap in most cases. A ready to wrap blank from a skilled maker is going to cost several hundred dollars. Another thing to consider is the other components in the kit. Are they quality parts? Many of the kits I've seen tend to have somewhat cheesy if not just plain cheap components.

The other thing is what is your experience level? Have you built graphite or glass rods already or is this your first time for a rod building project? Assembling a cane rod from a blank is not much different than assembling a graphite rod, but varnish and silk thread can be more challenging than epoxy and nylon.

Finally I would not compare a kit or home built rod to a rod made from a experienced builder/maker. Unless you have a lot of experience building rods you will not end up with a rod of comparable quality even if you start with a good blank.

Kev

Make sure from the provider that the ferrules are already lapped and require absolutely no additional work - or find out if the provider can substitute ones that are for additional cost. Lapping can be a real pain.

Also if you've concerned with weight, know that those over 7'6" can weigh noticeably more than the graphite you're used to. That's why the shorter vintage bamboo rods on ebay typically sell for more than the longer ones.

I've had my eye on bamboo blanks from Hook & Hackle. The USA blanks are $385 with ferrules attached. Probably add another 100 for the other components.

The bamboo used in a cane rod is from china, right? I would think that putting together a cane rod would entail the hand shaping as well as the assembly of the bamboo.

As for custom cane rod makers, if they are not hand planing the bamboo then they are merely an assembler. I can assemble as well as the next fellow as long as I have the proper tools.

Back