balancing fly rod w/ hacksaw

k-bob

k-bob

Got a zippy new greys gs2 7' 4pc two weight on $81 closeout. For brookies, of course. I like the casting, but it was unbalanced even with a light reel. (I've seen this before: too much reel seat weight on a shortish fly rod. Same reel seat used on 8' and 7' models?) Overall, the rod felt "tip light," even with a very lightweight reel.

Removed some overhanging length of reel seat, now use just one locking ring ... balance is just right. Wood rasp levels cut blank/seat composite nicely. Dash of caulk in open base of blank. Need to not lose the two rings that hold and lock the reel - no end cap to keep them on.

Resale? Warranty? It was cheap, it's a nice caster, and I don't care -- I wanna fish.

Attachments

• 9684486127_6e14b2384b_c.jpg
    9684486127_6e14b2384b_c.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 4
Look at all that "excess" metal on that reel. ;-)

If you boiled the end you cut off, you should be able to re-use the end cap of the reel seat...

have leightened reels before but think bout leverage...getting weight off end does more

plus the reel is magnesium and magnesium filings are what flares are made of?

now aluminum reels -- you can lighten those up right? :)

So what happens if/when you use a different reel?

the threads still work (wider ring holds reel, second ring locks) so I can remove the reel. could not use a reel with much longer foot, but a Forbes magnesium is the logical reel. even a BBS 1 would be too heavy.

I fish a lot of 6'6" - 7'3" rods (echo 2w, batson, tfo finesse 1w) so I have several Forbes magnesium reels.

good question about another reel... only other one I have is a BBS, fits on just the same but of course heavier....

what did you save 1/2oz. maybe ?

the weight reduction is about two tenths of one ounce... but if you think about it in terms of leverage, given the location, it actually makes a pretty big difference... weight removed from furthest distance from balance point... rod went from being tip light to just perfect.

I fished with the modified fly rod today it was just great for the very small brook trout streams I was fishing. 3 w line #14 Adams... balance just right.

have ordered another cheap one on the internet as backup and have the saw ready

rod reel line that is 7' and 5.2 oz TTL is part of the story

What if you don't put any backing on the reel? I doubt you need it for the brookies....

using 2.2 oz (empty) Forbes magnesium w/o backing... arbor increased w pipe insulation, reel w about 45-50 feet fly line weighs 2.7 oz.

right don't need backing for brookies

I've always been amazed at what slight weight differences do to the "feel" of the rod.

My short rods feel right with my reels.

But my longer rods need to go the other way. Need heavier reels. Specially the boo. I was considering just finding a way to attach lead to the butt, but I don't want to permanently alter the rod.

I sometimes put self-adhesive lead tape made for tennis rackets on reel arbors to add weight. better if you have a spool or reel dedicated to one rod. dicks sporting goods sells the tape I think

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13015634

When you determine the balance of the rod, do you do this while the fly line is strung through the guides or without the rod being strung up? I imagine there would be a difference. Just a thought.

Back