access vs. hydros

C

chrism80

So considering picking one of these two up in a 7wt 10footer for chasing steelies. They are both fairly close on price at the time.giveen the close out on the hydros. I've held and caste the access but not the hydros the access felt good. Anyone have the chance to compare the two? And anyone know the weight of the hydros? Can't seem to find the specs on it. Thanks

I've cast those exact rods side-by-side, at least I think they were both 10'. The access may have been 9', but I can't quite remember.

The access is a little slower and a good bit heavier. The hydros is a better casting tool, but if I were buying it for steelies, I'd go with the access. I like a little more flex in a steelhead rod. The access is a surprisingly good rod imo. Powerful and responsive, and at a good price, with a good warranty.

Not sure if you have an orvis shop or store nearby, but I'd go give them a toss.

That was my goal of casting them both. But they only had the accesses in stock. The access felt good but really wanted to feel the hydros. Did you happen to notice if the hydros was lighter? The access was listed as 3 /18 or 1/4 oz. On the orvis site they have the hydros listed at 4 oz which i don't believe to be right.

I tested both out and ended up getting the Hydros. It felt slightly better than the Access and I liked the looks of the Hydros better. Now with that being said, if Orvis wasn't kicking in the 150 dollar gift card, I would have went with the Access as the difference was very slight as far as the feel. I got the 4 wt.

The looks of the hydros are definitely more appealing. least from what i can see online. Hehe if it weren't for the price being so close it would be a easier choice

Back