Zingers (Simms and Fishpond)

G

gibsygoldtop

I am looking for a new zinger. Broke my third one this weekend and looking for something new. I am thinking about either the Simms retractor or the Fishpond 360.

I have a Fishpond chest pack so I do have compatibility there. However, I can get 2 Simms for the price of the Fishpond.

Anyone using either and want to share what they think? How does the elastic coil hold up? I got to pull on the Simms the other day and it has nice spring back but don't know how long that will last. Haven't had the chance to see the Fishpond, but like there stuff. Same spring action?

Thanks!

Simms retractors are the only kind I use anymore. I got too sick of breaking the other kinds. I put mine on every pack I use. They hold up like nothing else. I've never had one fail or lose it's springiness. I'm actually surprised at the low relative cost of these zingers.

For my tippet nippers, I use a curled rubber chin strap that I cut off of a craft foam hat from Michaeals ($1.00). Whipped loops on each end. Could prbably do the same thing with telephone cord just cut to length.

I get em at work, which isn't uncommon. If you have to wear a badge at work, then check around, most places offer pretty good zingers to hold your badge on your belt.

I have owned and used a Simms zinger for the past 8 years and it has never failed me. Best buy out there.

I have two of the Fishpond 360 zingers. I bought them about 4 years ago. They are expensive but they last and work great.

Been using the Simms plastic coil zingers for many years. Never had one break (to my suprise, actually). I usually fiddle with the clasp so it won't come undone once I hook it to where I want it.

peace-tony c.

I have 2 zingers built into my LLbean pack that look just like the Simms ones. It's night and day compared to the cheap ones you get at work or elsewhere. for $10 it's worth it IMO, especially if you have a $20 set of nippers or hemos and the crappy zinger breaks and you lose everything.

Simms retractors are the shizz! If there is anyone out there that is hard on gear it's me. The Simms retractors have held up to everything. Theres a reason why it says the toughest retractor on the market right on the packaging.

i still have a few spring loaded ones from years a go, still work..I do break a few now and then but its all i have used for years, will have to try the coiled type this year for comparison...the orvis ones I have had if they broke they would replace it..

I have the Fishpond 360 and use it on my Waterdance waist pack. I needed something that would "swing" up to me in order for it to be long enough to use. Works great... and I trust it.

I have the Simms on my vest. Works fine... and I trust it too.

I have an older Orvis round zinger that still works. But I don't hang anything from it that I'm not willing to lose. Those things just suddenly break.

I use the Fishpond 360s. I have a Fishpond vest and there are two spots on the front to connect the top of the barrel thingy and secure your nippers and Hemos from dangling.

Fishpond 360 is the only zinger I will use. All others have broken or wore out.

Simms is not as much of a zinger as it is a retractor. Having said that, they incorporate them into their waders, jackets, vests and bags. Given those applications I have quite a few of them and have never had an issue with them losing recoil ability or breaking. I use them quite extensively. The recoil material they use seems to be identical to Fishponds. It's pretty simple stuff. Mechanical zingers will always have a greater tendency to fail.

Back