Your Fly Boxes?

D

delfam

I've seen the posts about chest boxes and just wondering why some people have them. All I carry is a little flip case that can still hold like 150-300 flies and just put it in my vest.
Im just asking this cause I see these chest boxes and it looks like you could put a thousand in those. Usually I know what streams I'm fishing so I just take a small case with what I need.

Well let's see...

In a 3 tray Down's (45 compartments total)
One tray has PT's in all sizes and colors
The second tray has "realistics" aka specific insect matching patterns Mayflies.
The third tray has "realistics" to match caddis and midges. This is also the tray where I carry hatch matching mayfly duns.

I have a streamer tray that I seldom take and a generic nymph tray for stocked streams mostly.
I have a terrestrial tray and a bass tray.

I like the trays mostly for organization. Each bin might only have 6 flies in it. (6 X 45 = 270).

Yes my Down's, carrying 5 trays fully packed, could carry thousands of flies.

Wait until you drop your box in the water and can't reach it and have to say goodbye to all your flies! This has happened. Not to me but to several people I know. I like the chestbox because it is handy and hard to lose! LOL.

1. It's comfortable and light. Much better than a vest on my back. When I wore a vest, I tended to cram too much in it.

2. I'm disorganized. Yeah, for most outings I'd only need a small box. But then I'd need a different box for the next outing, etc. Instead of messin around and changing, I ended up carrying a bunch of boxes. Then you had to fish for them in pockets and such and find the right one. Much easier to just have them all in one place. When you get a chance to get out, no messin around, just grab and go.

For my trays:

Outer tray: top is a leader wallet. Bottom I have caddis. Dries, emergers, wets, nymphs. Scuds are also on this tray.

Middle tray: Mayflies. Nymphs, as well as the tiny dries on top. Bottom has dries/emergers/wets separated by species and type of fly.

Inside tray: Top has terrestrials, attractors, and egg flies. Bottom has the big flies. Streamers, big stonefly nymphs, etc.

Trying to cut it down to one small box.. Don't think I'll get to the 4x5" box I wanted, but it looks like I can pare it down to a single 4x8" compartment box. Its generic, and it'll stuff nicely into the belt pouch on my belt.

Back