Wulff triangle taper ambush line...It shoots.

B

brookiesRfun

I just installed on my 7.5 ft 4 wt rod the Wulff Triangle taper ambush line. Man it does shoot line with almost no effort. However when I double haul it my leader/fly makes contact with the line and sometimes gets tangled....Any suggestions? I think this line will work great on smaller streams where there is no backcast room and it shoots streamers well too. But the leader getting tangled on the line is a problem. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Greg

Without seeing you cast, I'll have to guess...

Double hauling is likely tightening up your loops. Are you raising your elbow on the back cast, and dropping it on the forward cast?

Doing this will put the line on a different plane between the back cast and forward cast.

See 2:50 in this video...

http://midcurrent.com/videos/joan-wulff-the-basic-cast/

Thanks for the information. The shooting head line must accentuate bad casting mechanics. It is less forgiving. After watching a few of the vids on the site I think my rod tip is deviating from a straight line somehow. The line is tricky to double haul as the shooting head is quite heavy. It does single handed spey and roll cast excellent though....The rod is a shorter rod and a 40 foot switch cast is easy to do with it.

I'm not surprised to hear that the TT line shoots like poop through a goose. I bought one of the original ivory TT's within a year or two of when they first came out (long ago, late 70's to early 80's maybe) and it was the best shooting line I ever owned. But I spooled it up in April and by mid-July, it was all checked, cracked and basically done for. So, I never bought another. In the interest of full disclosure, I'm tough on equipment in general and lines in particular. I seldom clean them and have a habit of walking on the coils of line at my feet.

So, there's that..

All the same, if the newer TT's have the same "shootability" and in the interim have also gained some of the durability of the old 444's (the only line I could walk on and have last more than a single season), I'll go out and buy one tomorrow. It was a sweet casting line..

RLeep2
Hello,
I really like the tt for its shootability. I was at a small pond doing 45 foot single handed snap T and Jump roll casts. This is on a little 7.5 foot 4 weight. The line will be perfect for rolling over heavy nymphs and weighted wolly buggers as well as streamers. The one disadvantage is It doesn't double haul very good. (I have only been at this for a little over a year.) Also it wouldn't work too good for drys where you need a delicate presentation. I read some reviews and it does reccomd lineing down one weight if you have a slow action rod.
I would like your take on it....You have more experience. I think it would work great on my 8 weight for steelhead when indicator fishing w a tandem nymph setup.

Hi Greg: I just now saw your most recent post here. If I have it right, you're considering loading this 4 wgt. TT on an 8 wgt. rod for use steelheading. While I'm sure it will work after a fashion, I don't think you'll be very happy overall with the result. The mismatch between the rod and line is too significant. But that's just my view.

I guess the other thing I'd say is not to sell the TT short as a line to make more delicate dry fly presentations. The configuration of the line is about getting it out there to the required distance and doesn't really have all that much to do with delicacy, which is more a function of leader compatibility (in terms of length and taper) with the line and especially, it is more of a function of how you execute the cast. There are a lot of ways to cast to maximize delicacy. One quick and relatively easy method is to imagine the fly has a parachute attached and your goal is to deliver it to a point a foot or so above the surface of the water and then let it waft down on its own from there. I'm not sure that was explained very well, but the point is to de-power the end of the casting stroke a bit to allow a more gentle arrival on the water. The way I learned to do this initially was with the parachute example.

Cheers,

Bob

Hello Bob,
I do have a orvis frequent flyer in an 8 wt I am thinking about getting the TT ambush for it In 8 wt.
I have yet to play w leaders with the new line. I am thinking of putting a furled leader of my make on it to soften the landing a little. I was able to get it to land softly but the line is not very forgiving if you misjudge a little. I found allow it to fall from about 2 foot off the water and it does ok. It is tough to get it to do that. Plus it is impossible to mend this line if its is out farther than 25 foot. It is basically a shooting head attached to running line.
Got any good ideas on leader length/design to help it land softly. If one line will do it I don't want to buy two.:)
Thanks,
Greg

Back