Would you buy this rod?

gfen

gfen

Let's say you had a chance to get a pretty fine offer on a used rod that was listed as "cosmetically damaged?"

THis is fiberglass blank from a well known boutique maker that has been well used. The enamel is chipped off, but I've been told by the seller that damage is the enamel only, and does not affect the blank materials.

I'm up in the air, if it were graphite I wouldn't go near it, but its not. As it is, the rod's price is very fair, and I'd be able to get out what I put into it (assuming it doesn't shatter in use) when I decide to build my very own, but htis is a good way to decide if I want to invest or not.

Whatchoo say?

Attachments

• IMGP0417.JPG
    IMGP0417.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMGP0418.JPG
    IMGP0418.JPG
    193.7 KB · Views: 3
Depends on the amount of investment and the return policy + your ability to repair said damages (or willingness to live with them).

I could care less about appearances, all I care about is it splintering in my hands on one of those massive 13" fish I occasionally catch. :)

Its a private sale.

Looks like someone bonked Barney on the noggin with it. :lol:

Fiberglass is some tough stuff - more than capable of standing up to a fight with one of those Crooked River giant suckers.

I'd say go for it...

If it's a good deal, I say go for it! Even if you only get a couple of uses out of it....it sounds like it might be a perfect litmus test to see if you want to delve into glass on a serious level. That's what I did with bamboo not too long ago, and it worked out well for me.

Its more than a minor fundage, I wrote the guy back and asked for his word. If I go for it, I'd say its a fair price for the rod. When I build my masterwork, I'll be able to recoup my full investment on it.

gfen, you could always do a repair wrap over the area, first fill the damage with a little epoxy, let dry and sand smooth, then wrap in white silk and finish it with spar. the silk will vanish and the repair will be hard to see, and it would give you a little piece of mind.

It is done. McFarland is mine.

Between Biker's advise here and in PMs, and some research on guys who strip glass blanks to bare surface and repaint (orly!), I'm ready.

When I'm tired of it, I'm confident I'll recoup my costs. They're not cheap rods, and I'm told he's done selling blanks.

I have a 7', 3/1 McFarland three weight. I've cast many of his other rods and fished with a few. If this rod is typical of Mike's offerings, you have a hell of a rod. Enjoy it and let us know how you like it.

Rolf

Why not contact Mike and see what advice he can give you?

Back