Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Would I be happy with a switch rod???
From Gettysburg
I'm intrigued with the idea of a switch rod too and am thinking about trying to build one. I do a lot of bassin on large rivers, mostly wading, and sometimes wear myself out double hauling. I think a switch rod would offer some good capabilities for this sort of game. Other than making a couple casts at the beach with Frederick's switch, I've never fished two handed rods. I normally use a 9" 7WT or 8WT for river smallies. Jcspey has some good ideas. What would you recommend as the best switch rod substitute - and what line would best match such a rod?
Thanks in advance....

Posted on: 2010/1/26 10:14

Hi

As for building a switch rod, I have not built one just converted a 10'6" Gander Mountain Steelhead Light Action rod to run switch/fly lines on by changing out the guides.

If I was going to build one from a kit, I would go with a Rainshadow Forecast Switch Rod kit in either a 5/6 or 6/7 wt, hands down, IMHO.

They are med fast actions, which makes them best for switch rod work and overhead or spey presentations.

I have a 11'6" Rainshadow Forecast spey rod that i used for bass and general fishing and love the rod, I use the same lines as recomend below for switch rod on it, its just not a switch rod.

As for lines it is determined by the grain window or the rod they are to be used with.
I don't know if you intend to spey or only overhead cast, but
matching the rod to a correct Rio AFS or Rio AFS Outbound spey line for spey or switch presentations is recomended. As for overhead casting a Rio Outbound line is my choice.

I have used two hand rods and switch for bass bot overhead casting and speycasting. Hope all this help. let me know if i can help any more.

PS your location is not to far from my mine, if you are interested in try out a line or rod once let me know.

Jcspey

Posted on: 2010/1/26 18:52

From Spring City, Gaines
I built my switch rod with a Rainshadow RX7 10' 8" 5wt blank. I wasn't aware that they made a Forecast switch rod blank but everything that I've seen from Batson has been a really good value.

Posted on: 2010/1/26 21:32

From New Castle, PA
In my experience the effortless casting that is valuable during long days of repeated casting is only achieved when using a spey style line or something similar. Essentially an overweight, short head, WF line. A switch rod with a standard line is just a long single hand rod. The line is an essential factor in the technique. You can fudge it with a standard line and may do OK, but if you want the effortless casting you need a specialty line, IMO. The difference is like night and day. For what it's worth, it is easier to cast overhead with a spey line then it is to execute a spey cast with a regular fly line.

BTW, Many switch rods are rated for the line needed for standard overhead casting and generally work best with a heavier line when spey casting.

Kev

Posted on: 2010/1/27 6:49

totally agree.

On my switch and two handed rods I use Rio AFS lines. They are spey style lines that are intended to be spey cast, but because they are short and heavy they can be cast overhead too.

I have found in my experience with spey and switch rods that a line for overhead casting tends to be lighter than the line used for speycasting. For example my 5/6 rod I use a 340 grain AFS line for spey or crossover ( switch from overhead to speycast) casting. And a 7 wt 275 grain Rio Outbound for mainly overhead work.

If you look at the head profile you see that the mass of the weight on the Outbound is in the front and in the back of the head on the AFS line.

The different in line weight is because in overhead casting the whole head beyond the rod tip loads the rod and with a spey cast only the arialized portion of line between the rod tip and anchor loads the rod. Check out Rio's link below it is a good explaination of different lines and casting style.

http://www.rioproducts.com/photos/fil ... 20Spey%20lines%202010.pdf

jcspey

Posted on: 2010/1/27 16:30

From Spring City, Gaines
Thanks for the link, that's some great information.

Posted on: 2010/1/27 17:21

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (28)
Who cares? It beats work. 30% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com