Winston vapor or orvis trout bum

fishrich

fishrich

Thinking of buying a orvis trout bum 805 or a winston vapor in around same size. I was looking for a little overall advice? I will fish small creeks like ridley and valley creek but also the yellow breeches and the letort. all styles :-D

I fish Ridley all the time and I love my 7' 9 5 wt trout bum rod I used it at Penns, smokies, Tully, Valley, Little Lehigh , Darby , Chester, French without any complaints . I have never used a vapor but I can't imagine fishing for trout without my trout bum rod :-D

my opinion, the 805 bum is an out west rod and way over gunned for around here. I was using a T3 8'4" 3wt as an all around rod but now only using it for indicators and went to a 6'9" 4 wt bamboo or 6'2" 2 wt babmoo for all other approaches for Valley. Ridley I generally fish a 9' 4 wt cause I have never hit it when bugs are coming off. guess it depends on how many rods you have but if you are buying ONE rod for ridley and valley (and have others, possibly arleady a 5 wt) I would lean more towards a 3 or 4 weight with the orvis being a great choice. Vapor not even in the same class as the Trout Bum, but not bad for the price (i'd rather fish a GL3).
Again, my opinion.

tight lines,

skiltonian

fishrich wrote:
Thinking of buying a orvis trout bum 805 or a winston vapor in around same size. I was looking for a little overall advice? I will fish small creeks like ridley and valley creek but also the yellow breeches and the letort. all styles :-D

I recently bought the 7'6" 6 weight Winston vapor and it's fast becoming one of my favorite rods.

I understand what skiltonian is saying about the 3 and 4 weights but if you throw an occasional streamer they just don't cut it (IMHO).

go with the trout bum, it will be better all around

BTW the Evening Hatch shop in White Haven carries both so if you get up that way you could cast em side by side then decide. Not sure if any shops in SE PA carry both brands.

One thing I've learned is to try casting a rod before I buy it.

Back