Winston BII vs. BIII

englishprof

englishprof

Have read good things about both. Is there a real difference or is this simply another marketing scam?

Check out one of the older "shoutouts" from yellow stone angler - take comments with a grain of salt - or call winston and ask them.

I have two of the B2X's: a 9' 7wt and a 8' 4wt and have cast both the 9' 5wt and 8 1/2' 5wt, also.

By comparison I have cast the B3X 9' 5wt twice.

My impression was that the B3X was a little stiffer and did not load as deeply or have as soft a tip as the B2X. To me, I liked the B2X better. I cast the B3X with an old Sharkskin line so maybe pairing it with a GPX or similar 5 1/2 wt line would have sorted the rod out but to me it lacked some of the feedback that the B2X has.

Just my impression. I will add that I lean toward more mid flex rods after fishing a Sage XP for several years as I like to feel a rod as it loads.

Shock

Hey Prof,

Someone can give you their opinion about a certain rod and how it works for them, which may be useful. But long and short, try casting a rod before you lay down your shekels to buy. A great rod for one is not-so-great for another. It's best to test out a whole bunch of different rods. Buy a rod that you love or at least like an awful lot, especially for that amount of money. Good luck.

I fish both rod models. BIIIx is a bit stiffer throughout the entire rod than the BIIx. Both still have the nice Winston feel at the tip of the rod. I like both rods but for power and fishing in the wind I would go with the BIIIx. It really depends on the type of fishing you do. Either one will get the job done.

Ron

Back