Will a TFO Professional II 8wt do everything?

Wildfish

Wildfish

Kidding, sort of, but here's the dilemma. I used to have a beater Hobbs Creek 8 wt that I used for everything "heavy" including warmwater river and pond kayak as well as light saltwater (for example, trying to land a stray bone on a Caribbean trip, mostly hooking into small yellow snapper). I broke the tip and the warrenty didn't cover it. Oh well, time for a new beater.

But then I found the TFP professional II. I love the med-fast action, which is what I prefer for trout rods. So I bought it on sale. The problem, I'm now thinking, is that the med-fast action will reduce its "do it all" options. Will I be outgunned on a Caribbean trip? Will I lose distance or big bug turnover power on the lakes?

Any thoughts?

I have a tfo pro 8 ft 4 weight. In the wind, personally I would prefer something faster.

Yeah, you're thinking is backwards. That is, unless I'm misunderstanding and the Hobb's Creek was super fast action and the new, medium-fast is slower.

Every rod is different and there are slow rods that do well with weight and wind, and there are fast rods that offer excellent "touch". But that disclaimer aside, generally speaking, faster rods are more powerful, will cast farther, will cast heavier offerings, will handle wind better, throw tighter loops, etc.

Slower rods counter with a softer lay down, better tippet protection, a more relaxed casting stroke, and many say better accuracy. They are also generally easier for a beginner to cast.

Sorry I wasn't clearer pcray. Yes, the Hobbs Creek was a broom handle. Very fast to the point of being a chore to cast. So when I picked up the TFO, which is a solid med-fast, it felt like a dream (I prefer med-fast for most trout applications).

So to rephrase, do you see any problem with a med fast steelheader rod? I want to try it this winter. Or med-fast for some carribean early morning casting?

The med-fast will help protect the tippet when those steelhead take off like a freight train. My preference for most FW is also towards a med-fast. And from what I see and hear most of your pa/ny tribs aren't big enough that distance is gonna be an issue.

For trout you want something in the 4 wt. to 6 wt range, depending on the river or stream size you are fishing and weather there is wind or not.
An 8 wt is not a do it all rod, and neither is any other rod.

Of course. You missread the above. I use the 8wt as a do it all for "heavy" stuff--warmwater to salt. I have other rods (3, 4, 5, bamboo). The question is, will I lose versatility by going from a fast action to a slower one?

Still an 8 weight just seems heavy to me for anything but salmon. I don't even go that heavy for steelies, I use an IMX 6 weight, it's more then enough. Then again, there aren't any 6 weights that fast anymore.

A 7 wt is about perfect for steelies. But an 8 is fine.

For PA steelhead, I actually prefer LONG slowish action. The streams aren't big, casting distance isn't a huge deal. Nor are they tight, no concern about tight loops and the like. You want a long rod to help lift line and get a perfect drift. You also want a softer rod, with a lot of bend, as it helps protect the tippet by cushioning those head shakes and runs.

A 10 or 10.5 ft, medium action, 7 wt is about the perfect steelhead rod IMO.

Back