HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Wild Water Braided vs Blue Sky Furled Leaders

From North East PA
Here's another source you can check out:

http://streamsideleaders.com/

Came across it in a thread on furled leaders. I ordered 3 from this site and received fairly quick delivery with no problems.

I like the way they feel, but I'm a newbie, so your mileage may vary.

Dave

Posted on: 2012/2/17 10:45

From down the block from the Letort.
I've been happy with the Streamside linked above. Like them better than the BlueSky I used, which was furled mono or nylon something or other. Prefer the presentation I get with the furled uni-thread Streamside.

Have also used silk leaders from Terenzio that came with the lines I have and probably like them the best, though they're a bit long for tight, barely any line out the tip brookie fishing where I think the furled leaders really shine. Reminds me that I have two new ones I need to get broken in for the new season.

With all of them I'll add a short 12"ish section of 3x or 4x then tie on the tippet from there to meet conditions. They're all great leaders for dries, but if I'm expecting to do some nymphing with a two fly rig during the day I'll usually just use a regular tapered leader and adjust tippets as needed.

Posted on: 2012/2/17 11:37

From Enola, PA
Quote:

bam wrote:
Try to avoid thingamabobbers on them. They can kink your leader. The toothpick kind work well and stay in place. Putty works as a sighter if you're not looking to float nymphs

I have never had any problems with thingamabobbers kinking my furled leaders. I use both UNI thread leaders and fluoro leaders.

Posted on: 2012/2/17 12:42

uhh...nevermind

From Bozeman
Quote:

bam wrote:
Try to avoid thingamabobbers on them. They can kink your leader. The toothpick kind work well and stay in place. Putty works as a sighter if you're not looking to float nymphs

Mucilin worked into the furl + putty will float nymphs if they aren't too heavy. It's the way to go for shallower or slower water imo.

Posted on: 2012/2/17 13:45

From NE PA
Little update on the Blue Sky Furled leaders...

I picked up a couple (a light, and a medium) and gave them a try.

Both casted extremely well, and they do turn over nicely.

Couple notes...

The directions say to grasp the leader by both ends and give it a good tug to remove the memory. This works fine on the light model, but not so good on the medium model. There is still a lot of "curl" in the medium leader even after a few stretches. I'm sure it will eventually come out after a little more usage, or after a few good smallies give it a workout.

Also, the tiny loop to attach the extender and tippet looked a little flimsy to me. I just cut it off, attached the extender, applied some pliobond... and I feel much better about the connection.

Obviously, the leaders need to get a good workout to see how they perform under all conditions and they hold up long term... we'll see.

Posted on: 2012/2/26 11:52

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time.

From Central Pa
I've been using my blue sky and still really like it. It has no memory at all, even after being on my reel when I pack up my rod and reel after fishing. Today I even had a pretty long tippet and still turned my fly over beautifully. It's the light furled leader, 6" of 3x, and today had about 6 ft of 5x on the end. I'm very happy with this leader but would like to try the uni-thread leader.

Posted on: 2012/2/26 17:29

From Etters,Pa
I've been using Cutthroat leaders for the past 2 weeks and LOVE THEM! I cant believe I wasted my time with others leaders. Give them a try trust me you wont be sorry.

Posted on: 2012/2/26 19:23

From Central Pa
Quote:

delta_dog wrote:
I've been using Cutthroat leaders for the past 2 weeks and LOVE THEM! I cant believe I wasted my time with others leaders. Give them a try trust me you wont be sorry.

Just checked out the website. I think I'm gonna try these out. I'm thinking the camo nymph leader in 50".

Posted on: 2012/2/26 22:34

From Etters,Pa
I have the dry fly and hybrid nymph in 4,5,6 and 7,8 and the 50" floro hybrid in 4,5,6. Love them all. The floro hybrid gets you deep FAST.

Posted on: 2012/2/26 22:47

From Central Pa
I was told flouro gets brittle when the water temp gets below 40 degrees. Is this true?

Posted on: 2012/2/27 5:51

From NE PA
Interesting.

The guys that manufacture the mono furled leaders say they are superior... the guys that use thread say they are superior.

Anyhow, the breaking strength of the thread leaders is pretty light on the trout leaders. I guess you would have to be careful not to put an "extender" on the thread leader that wasn't stronger than the thread itself... or go straight to the tippet material.

I'm interested in seeing how both kinds hold up. I'm betting that I'll be going back to a regular old hand tied, or straight tapered mono leader on my bigger rod that I use for smallies. That "medium" Blue Sky still hasn't straightened out.

Posted on: 2012/2/27 6:43

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time.

From Hershey
OK, I'm giving in. I posted earlier in this thread I use the Blue Sky leaders exclusively. I checked out the Streamside site and have ordered three to try out. They look nice and I'll be giving them a whirl. I do like to support the little guy and this obviously isn't a big company.

I ordered them this past weekend but haven't heard anything back from the seller. Has anyone had problems with the guy or is this normal. Normally I get an email my order was received or something like that.

Posted on: 2012/2/28 18:09

From North East PA
Just emailed him with a question a day or so ago and got a quick answer.

Can't remember getting an acknowledgement from hin for the order, but he shipped pretty quickly.

Dave

Posted on: 2012/2/28 18:46

I recently ordered from Streamside and the custom color leaders arrived a few days later. I was impressed with the service and got the colors I wanted. I am anxious to try them and like the idea of the tippet ring instead of attaching my own loop like the main brands.

Posted on: 2012/2/28 20:02

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (28)
Who cares? It beats work. 30% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com