Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Who knows about kayaks?

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
I just got a prowler 13 of CL for a great price and its almost new. not sure what your price range. SOT are much better IMO but they cost more. the prowler is an all around good yak and can hold a lot of weight.look around test them I wouldn't buy one just to get one. and to stand you are better off with a SOT yak.

marc

Posted on: 2013/2/4 20:32

From York, PA
Quote:

GonePhishing wrote:
in the Harrisburg area, head over to Blue Mountain Outfitters in Marysville.

GP,

I forgot all about them. I passed Blue Mountain Outfitters hundreds of times on my way to Perdix where I used to wet wade for smallmouths.

Thanks so much, dude. I'll stop there when it warms up a bit.

Posted on: 2013/2/4 21:25

From Souderton PA
I have been planning on buying a kayak for lake fishing for a couple of years now and just have not gotten around to it. John Shein's book is really worth buying. It's loaded with information. He also has a store in NJ that I cannot rember the name of, but maybe someone else knows or you can find it on the google. From what I heard he is very good at outfitting kayaks for fishing and has test rides etc.
Mike.

Posted on: 2013/2/4 22:33

From Mont Co, Pa
There's a great kayak dealer in Brick, NJ called New Jersey Paddler. It's near the intersection of Rt 88 & Rt 70. They have a great selection of all types of kayaks and accessories. There is also a place near there where you can test them out.

Posted on: 2013/2/5 10:30

From Perkasie PA
lots to read through. thanks everyone. I think I'm just gonna go with a sit top ocean or frenzy off Craigslist for now and if I like it, I'll invest more into a nicer one. I figure in the bay, I'll just paddle back to a sandbar or island and get out and fish. Lakes should be much easier with calmer water and no current.

Posted on: 2013/2/5 10:44

From SE PA - Montgomery County
Get 12' at least. Smaller ones are obviously cheaper, but you may regret it.

Posted on: 2013/2/5 12:29

From lepnun county
If you are interested,I have a 14' emotion fisherman pro,with slider fishing system on it for sale

Posted on: 2013/2/7 5:38

From Johnstown, PA
Behind the Firehall in Perdix was some of the best summertime smallmouth and panfish fishing in the world at one time , from reliable sources , folks who had the3 ability to go anywhere in the world to fish........sorry for getting off track the but 1wt saying Perdix brought back some great memories. I don't own a yak , but i do own a small inflatable raft , Sea Eagle , six different air chambers with a plywood floor , which make it possible for me , i'm an amputee missing my left leg below the knee , to stand up in it comfortably. Greenhouse Park in the Riverside area of Johnstown in western Pa hold an annual event tthat the closest thing i can compare it to is our JAM. There is a whitewater park there , manmade on the Stonycreek river , agreements for water releases from 3 different impoundments. Folks come from all over the world. I met folks from Australia , Russia , even China. If you really wanna see the whole scope of what's out there and learn more than you will ever use , i would try to attend one of these "JAMS" the thing is free if all you want to do is research , or you can camp there for a fee , they have the hook ups for RV's i think , and the crown Jewell for the hard core , OHIO PILE............heh........is about a half hour to 45 minutes from there. HAPPY FLOATING!!!!!!

Posted on: 2013/2/7 6:45

From Cleona, Pa
I know you've had alot of replies, here's my 2 cents. GET A SIT ON TOP. I had a sit in and sold it. they sit further down in the water and its harder to cast. They are easier to get in also.

It also hurt my back that was the big reason, I'm going with a float tube, plus I already have a scanoe.

The positive of a sit in is you stay alot drier.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 7:52

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
one thing you have to take into consideration is that a smaller yak is gonna be slower. which means its gonna take more effort to paddle. the other thing which is more important is the longer the yak the better it will track in the water. a small yak will get pushed around with in the equation wind. that's why its better to go with a longer yak. this is more important for fishing the ocean and large bays. not so much ponds and lakes. 13 feet is kind the middle 10 is on the small side and they get up to 16 feet but I feel its to much of a pain to transport it. around there is no need to rush when its still freezing out.

marc

Posted on: 2013/2/7 21:51

From Gettysburg
Dub,
I'll second a visit to Blue Mountain Outfitters.

There's all kinds of kayaks and I've tried many of them. Lots of folks like sit-on tops, esp down south. I tend to prefer sit-in type or "decked" yaks. A good and popular type of kayak for what you're thinking of would be the "Pungo" which comes in a fisherman's version or you can get the basic one and add on as you go. Some years ago, there was a whole gang of anglers targeting northeast stripers from Pungos although I think this was a few years ago - there are so many fishing yaks now the Pungo may not have as many fans.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 22:17

From harrisburg, pa
How much?

Posted on: 2013/2/8 1:08

From Archbald
I've not read every post on this thread, as I am quite tired, but I wanted to throw you some advice I learned from my first Kayak. Buy a sit on top and enjoy your well bought investment. I'm a little on the heavy side (200lbs) and when I flipped my sit in I had trouble getting out of it. Not the type of trouble where I almost drowned, but a few more seconds fooling around getting my legs out of it and I might have been in trouble. God forbid I was in fast moving water when it happened. I was on a lake. I got rid of it the next week and though I still haven't looked into another, my buddy loans me his sit on top from time to time and I absolutely love it.

Posted on: 2013/2/8 3:39

From Gettysburg
Just a quick sidebar if you haven't been out in your yak or canoe in recent months: The PFBC now requires you to wear (not just have in possession in your boat) your PFD during the colder months of the year. Maryland has had this rule for years but PA, I think, just had it put in effect a couple months ago.

Posted on: 2013/2/8 7:59

From Lititz, Pa
Just so you know John Shein was at Sommerset. He had a booth and did a seminar on Kayak fishing. He will also have a booth at Lancaster. I don't know if he will be do a seminar. His book sells for $29.00 and he was selling it for $10.00 at the show.
Rick

Posted on: 2013/2/8 12:51

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com