Who knows about kayaks?

D

dubthethorax

Looking at getting a kayak this year. I'm a big guy so I want something comfortable, and something I can fish from. It would mostly be for small lakes around me, and I'd like someone that's easy enough to strap on the roof of the minivan and take down to the shorehouse on the weekends to hit the back bay stripers and blues in the evening.

I don't want anything too pricey. I found a few under $300 but not sure if they are even worth it. Was also considering a sit on top one because they look easier to deal with overall and some you can stand on.

thoughts?

Dear dub,

If you want to hit a broader base of people go to paddling.net and ask your questions. They have a section in their forum devoted to fishing from kayaks and canoes.

You can also read reviews of many different kayaks there.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Mike,
Check your PM's. I may even have one for you!

Most places do "paddle for free days" where you can try any kayak they sell. Best way to fun what you want just like a rod. Harry's Army Navy in bordentown Nj has them 2-3 times a year at mercer park.

I've been considering a kayak too. They seem like fun but I wonder about how easy it is to fish from one. How do you manage paddling to casting? Seems like you would need a third hand at times! I've been in a Kayak once and it was close to 10 years ago, so I'm clueless.

If you're ever in the Harrisburg area, head over to Blue Mountain Outfitters in Marysville. They can answer any question you'll have and they have test days where you can take boats out on the river. I got my two sit on tops there and am really pleased with them. Mine is an angler model that has 5 rod holders, 1 being a scotty that sits right in front of me when I'm paddling. Its an Emotion Stealth FWIW.

If you are talking lake fishing ,spring for a Hobie-infinitely easier than arm paddle canoes as you pedal with your feet. This leaves your arms free for such mundane things as casting or snacking as you cruise to or from your spot.
Don't let anyone kid you,they are worth the difference.
Creek fishing they aren't quite as handy as the paddles extend below the craft..

As everyone has said, the best thing to do is try them out somewhere. I will say this, I won't go cheap on a kayak ever again - I tried it. Most of the lower end models don't track real well, aren't real comfortable to sit in, and have poor seats. I have a pungo angler 120, and love it. Four rod holders, camera mount, fish finder, etc., and I have lots of room to move around and storage for overnight trips.

Last year I bought fishing kayak, similar to this one and used couple of times.
Very maneuverable, surprisingly (not like my inflatable previous one) this one is fast.
Because the hull is short you can easily move in tight places or between rocks.
This kayak is strong and light, you can carry it in one hand.
Gives you stability and is fine for rivers or lakes.
[color=0000FF]~~~[/color]

Attachments

• Fishing_kayak.jpg
    Fishing_kayak.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 4
Nice thing about Hobie, is that you can pick up the mirage drive{finned paddles} and just paddle with the oar.then when depth returns replace the mirage back into the slot an start kicking.
I also like the Freedom Hawk But the cats meow would be a mixture of these . used to be a site called Kayakfishingstuff.com. they had a retail outlet near Ledgewood NJ , and also they have a forum full of info. They use to hold s KAyak day at the local lake and you could sign a waiver an then take any kayak out an try it or hell try em all out. Theres also a site called....NewEnglandKayakfishing that is also full or info , as well as a website called Kayak Angler. FWIW my buddy turned me onto kayak fishing, he owns a few Hobies and also enters Kayak fishing tournements along the New England Coast,has won a few also. I really liked the Hobie best IMHO.

Nice thing about Hobie, is that you can pick up the mirage drive{finned paddles} and just paddle with the oar.then when depth returns replace the mirage back into the slot an start kicking.

Hmmm, what about the slots and water intake from them with the drive removed? Can you float a river without the drive in place?

Dot

yep no problem unless you weight 1,000 pds.
Hobies ain't cheap and you don't want to drag them over rocks but they are worth the money.
Suggest you go for the 11 footer over the 9 footer as they are much faster as they ride a little higher weight for weight.You would be surprised the difference those 2 inches make.sorta like trying to keep up with a 1,000 cc bike using a 750.Tried that once in the paradise valley in Montana back when there was no speed limit.Broke my heart but he pulled away from me at speeds where telephone poles looked like a picket fence.I was about 40 years younger and dumber.lol
No kidding,length is an asset,not a liability.However we are talking $1800.
Fish a lot-worth it,if not well there are others but I love my Hobie down here in Florida.It becomes part of you.I have handled rough water that would scare you [huge wakes from big ships] as long as you are length ways you bob like a cork.

I've been buying high end kayaks for years. Unless youre trying to get "tricky" on whiterwater, I've found that if it's plastic and floats it's a good boat. If your concerned about getting stuck upside down, you may want to consider a nice wide sit-on-top and add after market foam rod clips.

my little piece of advice is to get a Sit on Top vs a Sit In. If you happen to flip it, you can get back in a Sit on Top A LOT easier.

i'd keep an eye on craigslist, plenty of old ocean kayak's around.

for the sea i'd suggest a sit on top, unless you are proficient in eskimo rolls with a spray skirt.

i've fished several times out of kayaks and found i didn't like it - much more difficult to position than a float tube or canoe, when chasing stripers that are moving.

most of my buddies either troll lures from yaks or just use them to get from point to point and then wade and cast with the kayak tethered on a leash.

fishing lakes for trout and bass is a different matter, very easy - just drift and cast the drop offs or weed beds,points , gaps etc.

for that, i prefer the canoe again - 16ft minimum, cos i can also use it for camping out too.

i'd see if you can borrow a friends to fish in, before you invest in your hard earned, then keep an eye out on craigslist.

me,i'm waiting for a merrimack osprey that i can fly cast on a pond or lake standing up ;-)

I just got a prowler 13 of CL for a great price and its almost new. not sure what your price range. SOT are much better IMO but they cost more. the prowler is an all around good yak and can hold a lot of weight.look around test them I wouldn't buy one just to get one. and to stand you are better off with a SOT yak.

marc

GonePhishing wrote:
in the Harrisburg area, head over to Blue Mountain Outfitters in Marysville.

GP,

I forgot all about them. I passed Blue Mountain Outfitters hundreds of times on my way to Perdix where I used to wet wade for smallmouths.

Thanks so much, dude. I'll stop there when it warms up a bit.

I have been planning on buying a kayak for lake fishing for a couple of years now and just have not gotten around to it. John Shein's book is really worth buying. It's loaded with information. He also has a store in NJ that I cannot rember the name of, but maybe someone else knows or you can find it on the google. From what I heard he is very good at outfitting kayaks for fishing and has test rides etc.
Mike.

There's a great kayak dealer in Brick, NJ called New Jersey Paddler. It's near the intersection of Rt 88 & Rt 70. They have a great selection of all types of kayaks and accessories. There is also a place near there where you can test them out.

lots to read through. thanks everyone. I think I'm just gonna go with a sit top ocean or frenzy off Craigslist for now and if I like it, I'll invest more into a nicer one. I figure in the bay, I'll just paddle back to a sandbar or island and get out and fish. Lakes should be much easier with calmer water and no current.

Back