Which rods for 2nd and 3rd?

trowpa

trowpa

So i've been given permission to spend some money and buy/build a new rod or two.

I've got dozens of spinning rods and surf rods -but for the past 11 years of fly fishing i've owned ONE and only one fly rod - a custom built 8'6" 4wt. I'm not sure what the blank is - i'm guessing a rainshadow/forcast or similar quality - its a pretty forgiving, slow, traditional action rod and I love it - no issues with its performance for all but the biggest, heaviest flies i use...so unless it breaks, i have no "need" for another rod for 90% of the fishing i do (little lehigh, monacacy, various area wild streams, etc). I've caught smallmouth and trout up to 20 inches with this rod..yet I enjoy the 8 inch fish well enough too.

However, I have the following "wants" in my future:

1. a rod that can handle a bit more wind than my 4wt can (better casting could also help that i know - but I've used my daughter's and father's 5wts and can see a huge difference in the wind)

2. a rod that can handle occassional trips to bigger water or fish (lehigh river, smallmouth trips, possible montanta trip,etc )

3. a shorter rod that would handle tighter wild trout streams easier

4. a rod that would be adequate if i make it to the erie tribs next fall.

I am considering 9ft 6wt as my next rod to cover 1,2, and 4 and then a 7'6" 4wt to cover #3.

But i wonder if a 6wt will be overkill for trout and only useful for the once in a lifetime montana trip and the once a year at most erie trip.
Would a 5wt be better suited in this case and still useable in montana, the lehigh, and erie?

I also wonder the relative usefulness of an additional 4wt. Perhaps I should go with a 5 and a 6wt? or a 5 and a 7wt?

Ideally i want a few 4wts, and one each 5wt, 6wt, and 7wt :) But like most, I have a limited fishing budget - looking for the best choice in my next 2 rods.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts as I choose my next 2 rods. I suppose this is a good problem to have :)

If it were me I would probably go with a 9' 5wt and a 9' 7wt. The 5wt can handle 1 and mostly all of 2. You didn't mention nymphing with lead, which the 5wt will also handle. I've used my 5wt with no problems out in Colorado and used it on bigger trout waters like the lehigh. The 7wt is a good steelhead and big river smallie rod. I've found the 6wt to be the poster child for "jack of all trades, master of none". It's the first rod I owned and I felt overgunned on trout and undergunned when fishing big smallie waters like the Big D or Susky (on a calm day I was pushing its limits throwing big clousers, on a windy day forget it). As far as your #3, while I don't fish small tight streams often, I would try overlining your 4wt to help load the rod without much line out of the tip. These are my opinions, ymmv.

I like the way that Jason thinks. But knowing you, and where and how you fish, I'm gonna take a different route.

I'd build a 10' 5wt if I were you. You'd get more use out of that than anything else, on a blank something like this.

As far as the big stuff goes, how often are you going to use it? Once a year? Why not just call one of your friends that has like 30 rods and just borrow one? ;-)

For the small streams, I have one word for you - Tenkara. Don't laugh - it's a blast!

Don’t let anyone tell you that having multiple rods is ESSENTIAL. I fished with one fly rod, a 9’ 5wt, for a long time when I was starting out and money was tight. Later I bought an 8wt wt for bass fishing. I caught tons of fish in a lot of different types and sizes of streams, rivers and lakes, and never really NEEDED more rods.

I now use a 9’ 5wt for trout fishing on the D and the big rivers out-west 90% of the time. Other than trying to cast big streamers with a sink tip line, a 5 wt will fit the bill for nearly of your trout fishing in big to medium waters. One thing, you may want to consider a little faster action rod for your #1, casting in the wind, and your #2 bigger water / longer casts.

For SM’s and Erie Steelhead I’d go with a 7wt, mid-action / mid-power rod.

For smaller streams, you can use your 8’6” 4wt, or get a 3rd rod, maybe a 7’ - 3 or 4wt. Also consider buying a 4wt rather than a 3wt since would save on having to buy another line and maybe a reel or spool. I like the punch a 4 wt gives on a small stream anyway, and use one for most of my small stream fishing.

Good luck on your quest.

All good advice from above...

My recommendation would be a 7' for #4 and a 9' for #7 or maybe even a #8.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
I like the way that Jason thinks. But knowing you, and where and how you fish, I'm gonna take a different route.

I'd build a 10' 5wt if I were you. You'd get more use out of that than anything else, on a blank something like this.

HA,

I was actually gonna recommend a 10' 5wt. Then I thought about all the times I came across a 10' 5wt rod in fly shops, which would be never. Granted I never specifically looked for that type of rod, so maybe I just didn't see them. However I didn't take into account that the OP builds rods, so I 2nd your recommendation.

For the small streams, I have one word for you - Tenkara. Don't laugh - it's a blast!

Gene,

Are you posting under HA's username? :lol:

Yeah, Ol' Miyagi finally got to me.

It really IS a lot of fun, though. I even got the double haul down pat on the first try! :-D

You're gonna want one.....resistance is futile.....

I'm sure I'll eventually end up with a tenkara. I could get a lot of use out of it on my local creek. But before I buy one, I need to get myself a nice 3 or 4wt to use specifically for tossing dry flies.

Heritage-Angler wrote:

Sure - if I have friends generous enough to lend me rods for an occasional trip, I have less need to go up to 6wt and 5wt will be more versatile in most of my fishing...but why so long? Can you expand on your rationale? For distance on occasional big water? Or for highsticking?

Btw - that link you provided goes to the 9ft 5wt.

And to fill in then blanks as requested- yes I nymph more than fish dries, but I need to be able to use it for both.

trowpa wrote:

Sure - if I have friends generous enough to lend me rods for an occasional trip.

What's this "IF" stuff? Don't make me come over there! :-D

Hopefully, our phone call answered the rest of your questions. I'll bring a half dozen or so 9 and 10 footers for you to try....remind me to let you try out my 7'6" Three Forks 3wt as well. For $50, it's a great little brush rod, and for that price, it's practically disposable.

Thank you Ed - you are very kind and generous. Just let me know when you know your plans and I'll figure out a way to meet up.

Heritage Angler, rod pimp.

;)

if I were you I'd go with a 9' 6 or 7 wt. it will not be too much for trout, especially big trout. it will have plenty of power for punching through the wind. it will also be perfect for bass and light saltwater and also steelhead. have one built with a removable fighting butt, you'll have a very versatile tool. I think a 5 wt would be very close to your 4 wt and not worth spending the money on.

if i were in this situation i'd get an eight or eight and a half foot six weight bamboo or fiberglass for trout and bass and a nine foot seven or eight weight graphite for light salt/salmon& steel.

what is your primary fishing ? trout ? build or buy a 7' 4wt for wild streams , buy or build a 9' 5wt for trout on windy days on big water , spend 20 $ on a scientific angler rod for a couple trips to erie or a couple smallie trips . get the 5-6-7 wt reel so u can use it on the trout rod 5 wt and on the 7 wt scientific angler cheapy for bass and steel , just my opinion

Thanks everyone for the input. I think i'm leaning toward building a 9' (or maybe 10ft - we'll see H.A.) 5wt.

then later another 4wt.

btw - perhaps this is a long shot, but does anyone here in the eastern PA area and own a rod built on a Dan Craft FT blank? I'd sure like to try one.... :)

trowpa
Did you get my pm I sent you ?
If not interested just say so !

beadhead2 wrote:
trowpa
Did you get my pm I sent you ?
If not interested just say so !

Yes i did - sorry for the slow response. I replied.

I agree with HA on the Tenkara. That rod is incredible. If you are in to fishing clear streams and need a real soft presentation, this is the rod to do it with. The line lands on the water softly and you can choose either a light, translucent green line or clear line both of which are extremely stealthy. I was checking out Big Spring for the first time and had my tenkara rod with me, fishing the ditch was a blast with that rod. The play in the rod is amazing when your hooked in with some feisty brookies, you feel every little twitch.

Back