Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Which mid level waders?

From Nazareth PA
I had a pair of Beam waist highs that started to leak. I took them back with my sales slip and they refunded every cent to me. You can't beat that.
I would go with the LL Beam waders again.

Posted on: 2013/6/4 9:29

" It has always been my private conviction that any man who puts his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming"...John Steinbeck

From reading/susq. co. native
Fwiw I just exchanged a 5 yr old pair of the Cabelas Premium DP waders today. I just told them there was a leak in the seam and they had me out with a new pair in about 20 minutes.

Posted on: 2013/6/4 15:57

From North East PA
I'll enter another vote for LL Bean

I had purchased a pair of their Emerger II series of breathable waders. (Due to a tight budget at the time)
While walking streamside through some heavy brush, I fell and landed on a sharp stump from someone's brushcutting. Poked a nice hole in the waders. I used the kit that came with the waders and an Aquaseal repair kit to fix the puncture. No problems going forward and, when funds loosened up, I upgraded to the Bean's Rapid River waders.
Regulated the Emergers to backups until my brother had trouble with his waders. He used the Emergers a few times, but there was trouble with a leak in the non-patched leg.
I called LL Bean and explained the situation to customer service. They said to send the waders in and they would replace them. Just got a call from them today and the new waders are on the way.
The customer service person said they had some issues with that model and if I had any problems, to contact them right away and they would deal with any issues I had.
Great customer service from the Bean and great products.

Posted on: 2013/6/4 19:37

"Hey, Wait, that rock is moving" - Pat D, Newbie Jam, 3/16/13

From Eastern PA
Quote:

whheff wrote:
I had a pair of Beam waist highs that started to leak. I took them back with my sales slip and they refunded every cent to me. You can't beat that.
I would go with the LL Beam waders again.

out of curiousity, when did you get them and did they suddenly fail?

Posted on: 2013/6/4 21:25

From SEPA
Quote:

jhedge wrote:
You are correct the majority has said ll bean. I guess that'll be my first stop then. Is it really that easy to walk in and out? Do they have a limit on how old the item is out anything like that?

Yes, it really is that easy.

I had no sales slip, and still left with the current product they sell in under 15 minutes from coming through the door. This includes banter with the sales girl, laughing at the manager's baldness, and waiting for them to pull one off the shelf.

I suspect that if the product was a past generation, it would've been somewhat more involved, but Bean really pushes, and stands by, the originial Lifetime Satisfaction garuntee, matter of fact, the bald manager has encouraged me to take advantage of it even when I don't think I would be in the right.

Lifetime means lifetime. Bean means your lifetime, should you choose to take advantage of it.

Cabela's has changed, now its 90 days, or for Cabela's branded clothing, a "lifetime of use." What's that mean? Depends. But I assure you I wouldn't get new waders if I walked in and handed them to them after 2 years.

On the other hand, even if Bean encourages you to use the lifetime commitment, I think there's a point where one's simply being a twat and taking advantage of it, but you're free to make that distinction to yourself. They'll let you do whatever you feel comfortable doing, because that's their thing.

Stop in on a Tueday night, take advantage of the free fly tying class.

Posted on: 2013/6/4 21:50

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
gfen, the length of your posts seems to be increasing. Might I even say approaching pcray-ish!

Quote:
On the other hand, even if Bean encourages you to use the lifetime commitment, I think there's a point where one's simply being a twat and taking advantage of it.

Definitely agree here.

The way I see it. They have a great warranty. I respect them for that, and wish more manufacturers would have such warranties. It makes me more likely to buy their stuff, and I will use it if necessary. But it only makes business sense for them, or others, to have such a warranty if the majority of us aren't twats about it. If a mid-priced breathable wader lasts me 3 years, that's better than the competition in that price range. IMO, that means I got my money's worth. I'm not going to claim dissatisfaction. I want to reward companies like this, not rip them off.

3 years I think is my mark. Yeah, I'm tough on waders. Mountain goating, crawling, etc. through thick stuff doesn't help. Remember, I don't wet wade.

And if I would get a pair replaced without paying, then whatever life they give me is added to the original, it doesn't start the clock over till I pay again.

Posted on: 2013/6/4 22:07

From Monessen, PA
I am humbled by the compassion being expressed for BigBox outfitters such as LL Bean. Their lifetime warranty is truly priceless. They honor it "no questions asked," other than: "Where shall we ship them?"

Posted on: 2013/6/4 22:19

-- Leo Tolstoy

From reading/susq. co. native
Just to clarify that the waders that I returned were only used 7 times in those 5 years. I use waist highs for 98% of my fishing in PA(maybe two seasons out of these). The chest waders are used only for "big water" and winter steelhead. The customer service rep @ cabelas thought they were new. If it was a gaping hole or a tear I would have just patched them or purchased another pair.

Posted on: 2013/6/5 16:49

From Pgh
Quote:

Thanks for the heads up jhedge. Just got the Frogg Toggs. Needed new ones desperately but couldn't afford a decent pair at full retail right now. At $89 + shipping (I had a coupon, too.) even if they only last a year they're worth it.

Posted on: 2013/6/6 8:51

From Fountain Hill, Pa
Glad to help! Let me know how they are.

Posted on: 2013/6/6 20:33

From Pgh
Quote:

jhedge wrote:
Glad to help! Let me know how they are.

Gave the new Frog Toggs Anuras a full day workout on the Yough. I figured 800cfs pushing on them all day would be a good test.

Even before I stepped in the water the waders got good grades. The material seems to be thick and pretty well made. Once on, their trim cut made them feel more like a pair of pants than the typical baggy waders (ORVIS) I've had in the past. Although someone who is stout may have a tougher time.

I waded from ankle to waistline all day. I did some bushwhacking on shore. No leaks. They did not seem quite as "breathable" as the ORVIS, but standing in 50 degree water most of the time, they were comfortable and kept me warm.

Of course, the true test will come with time to see how durable they are. But so far so good. And at that price, they seem like a great deal.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 10:09

Cabela's waders come in tall (I am 6'2" so the LT works for me)...sometimes they are on sale for like $125...get the breathables.

EDIT: Oops...posted in the wrong spot. Sorry!

Posted on: 2013/6/11 13:11

From Fountain Hill, Pa
Thanks for the review green ghost! So many choices...

Posted on: 2013/6/11 21:31

From United States
jhedge,

Bean waders will serve you well if you're a close drive to an LL Bean store. They are very good about replacing them.

That said, you will have to have them replaced.

If you start taking trips, I would seriously consider looking into a pair of Simms or Patagonia waders as they are much more reliable.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 14:06

From Eastern PA
Quote:

tridentfly wrote:

That said, you will have to have them replaced.

If you start taking trips, I would seriously consider looking into a pair of Simms or Patagonia waders as they are much more reliable.

Meh. I have two pair of Simms G3 and have had as many issues with them as my Bean waders. Much easier to deal with Bean.
Sorry.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 22:32

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com