Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Where to buy Fishpond?

Yes, minimum price enforcement is judged on a case to case basis and flyfishing happens to be one of the cases where it was judged OK. Hence, the reason why all the major manufacturers dictate prices.

Back to the original poster... The price for current fishpond items is the same everywhere. Shops may try to discount the price to make the sale but if they get caught doing this Fishpond has the right to discontinue them as a dealer.

Posted on: 2009/5/21 23:16

From Greensburg, PA
Again...buy last year's model. It doesn't have to play nice with the price fixing crowd.

Posted on: 2009/5/22 1:08

From Westmoreland Co.
Some shops will discount pretty readily, but not on individual, name brand items. Their approach(Feathter Craft does this alot): spend $100, get $20 off. Spend $200, get $35 off, etc.

This protects them from the liability of discounting name brand product. Works out the same but the manufacturers MSRP appears well protected, despite the bottom line.

Posted on: 2009/5/22 10:07

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

Spyder20oz wrote:
Shops even get in trouble when they try to sell new products cheaper on ebay and risk loosing the manufacturer.

Do a bit of research before you speak
[url]http://ffotw.com/?p=1348[/url]

After nearly 2 decades in both national and local retail, (and many, many company meetings regarding competitive pricing, gross margin determinations, and vendor contracts) I can’t say that I haven’t done my research…but I might not have done my research recently enough. That ruling was passed right at the time I left. However, I will say that I have never been able to decipher legal rulings accurately, which is why I always relied on a legal team to tell me the practical ramifications of a ruling...and will continue to rely on such a source.
I will add that it doesn’t sound like the ruling eliminates the fact that vendors can, and will, give special price dispensation (cost or MSRP) to companies based on sales volume, price / market testing, QA issues, shipping issues, proprietary products, business development, etc., so I would still recommend nosing around for better prices.
You also seem to assume that every outlet is afraid to “get in trouble” or to lose their vendors…there are many times when a store wants to change vendors or wants to put pressure on their vendors to make them more competitive.
Stores also must try to stay competitive with other stores that are offering incentives (retail price alone isn’t the only enticement…there are many other tactics to lower the consumer’s cost such as free shipping, gift with purchase, store coupons, bulk discounts, loyalty programs, etc.) that are beyond the manufacturer’s price setting controls.
So whatever the affect of the ruling was, vendors have always tried to maintain their MSRP…but stores have and always will be looking for the competitive edge to increase thier own volume.
Even now, after the court ruling, I competitively shop and still find better prices when I look around.

Posted on: 2009/5/22 12:35

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

LigonierA1 wrote:
Some shops will discount pretty readily, but not on individual, name brand items. Their approach(Feathter Craft does this alot): spend $100, get $20 off. Spend $200, get $35 off, etc.

This protects them from the liability of discounting name brand product. Works out the same but the manufacturers MSRP appears well protected, despite the bottom line.

That's a great point. I have a card right now that would get me 150 dollars off a 500 dollar purchase at Cabelas. If I used it on a Loomis and got a 150 dollar discount on a Loomis rod, they don't really have a recourse.

Posted on: 2009/5/22 13:14

From Dillon, CO
$119 at everestgear.com. Bought my open range vest there, love it.

http://store.everestgear.com/figoratepa.html

Posted on: 2009/5/23 18:38

From Clearfield Pa
Thats where I ended up ordering mine from a couple days ago. Decided for a few extra bucks I'd get the Open Range.

Posted on: 2009/5/23 21:54

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com