What is the best rod for under $250.00?

fishinginasuit

fishinginasuit

I know, I know. That is quite a question. One as wide as the Plains, right? Sure. Basically, I am looking for some or any input on the decision.
Obviously, it goes without saying that I want to get my hands on the some of the top runners and give 'em a swing. Also, I'll be going to the Fly Fishing Show in Jersey this weekend so that should help some too.
The rod in question will need to be suited to roll casting on streams of 50 feet or less in width for the wiley trout wherever I may find him; from the industrial Bushkill in Easton to the scenic Upper Delaware River above Hancock, to the trickle of Tom's Creek. We're talkin' a basic Eastern U.S. trout fishing rod. Mostly Eastern Pa. but will probably hit Maine over the summer. I don't have the money to travel West yet and my wife doesn't want fishing to be our family vacation so...
Basically, I'm thinking TFO, Redington, Sage, R.L. Winston. On paper going into this thing before I test 'em. I started fly fishing last year and bought a thrifty rod to give it a try and see what I think. Now that I have dabbled I want to upgrade a slight. Notice that word, slight, and the price in question in the subject heading. No Z-Axis's here baby unless you're buying it for me. LOL!
Anyways...
TFO: Great warranty and great reviews but some have been mixed at times and rating lower aestetically. Thinking the Finese or the TiCrX.
Redington: Great warranty. Connected with Sage; need I say more. Good reviews. Rates higher aestetically. Thinking the Wayfarer or Red.Fly I believe.
Sage: Great warranty. Great reviews. Rates high aestetically. Thinking Fli due to its reviews but its over my target price a slight or thinking Launch which has less stellar reviews but a nicer price.
Winston: Great warranty. Havn't read any reviews on the only one in the price range which is the Ascent but I found one on the Vapor and it didn't fare too well.
Also, what could be a whole other subject but hopefully won't need be would be a reel to back to the selected rod. But heck, maybe I should pick the rod first, right. But if you just can't help yourself make the reel less than $100. I have less to say about these but would like it to be a larger model and no plastic need apply.
On paper I am thinking Fli or TiCrX or Finese as the frontrunners but what do I know. Anyways gut feeling says TFO for all the right reasons. Those being price and quality and with the former being low enough to save me some dough and enough to make it worth my while to dump a Sage.
So what'ya think?
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks much.
Chris

Oh also...
I fish mostly nymphs and dries as they apply. Very little streamer and bugger throwing so should I keep with the 5 wt. or go for a 4wt, etc?
Thanks.
Chris

Why not keep the 5wt and get a 4wt too...?

Throwing names and models (TFO, Redington, Sage, R.L. Winston Fli or TiCrX or Finese) will get you no where, no matter who you ask...its all greek to me anyway.

If you know all that stuff you spend too much freakin time reading catalogs and not enough time fishing....

What you need to do is throw some line. Everyone is different. Get to a shop or shops and test them in the parking lot or wherever they'll let them try it out. If they don't there are other places that will and that's where you should buy it.
Good luck man.

try ebay , they have sages in that price ranger ,,just be patient .. Wit to the last minute to bid .. I do this alot . I have accumulated tons of sage xp's that ... I would go a 9ft 5 weight , anything less for nymphing is silly . I have a 0ft 4 wt but for dries only ... if you can getg a 9ft 6 weight get it . A great nymph rod by Sage /////

my 2 pennies worth

Was at Cabela's tonight, and they had a Scott A2 9 foot 4pc 4wt on sale for $180. That's a heck of a deal for a $300 rod! If you get a fast action 4wt, it would work for a lot of the nymphing scenarios you listed, and be great for tossing dries as the need arises. I primarily nymph fish, but I like to be able to switch over to dries if the fish are looking up. My usual weapon of choice is a 590-4 XP, but it is a bit of overkill fishing Tricos. My newest XP is a 486-4, and it is a pretty good "Jack Of All Trades" rod. Powerfull enough to sling some lead, but still enjoyable with the small stuff. A 9' 4wt would work well unless you're throwing streamers on the Delaware - I use a 6wt for that. A 6wt is overkill for most streams around here, and if I was only going to fish big water occasionally, it makes good sense to get a rod that would be tailored to the most frequent situations I'd be in. Just my 2 cents worth - the other $179.98 is up to you.......Ed :-D

I spoke with a gentleman who specializes in Orvis. He even showed me his Orvis Guide Memebership card. He said without a doubt the best rod for the $ is St. Criox Avid series. For what you get at around $220 you would have to step up to the T3 Orvis which cost about $500. I am certainly not an expert but this guy seemed to be.

Good luck

Fishinginasuit

Good idea going to the NJ show, should help you a lot deciding on your rod!

Good luck!

I worked for Orvis for years and no way is the avid close to the T3, The TLS yes. There isn't any thing out there that is like the T3.The technology is different. and I'm not an Orvis fan..or sage, I do like St. Croix.

Instead of one rod for $250, since you're starting out, relatively. I would suggest getting two rods! I like St. Croix.

One would be a 7'-6" 4 wt. Triumph or Reign.
The other an 8'-6" 5 wt. Triumph or Reign.
Either are made in 2 piece or 4 piece, your preference depending how much you travel, bike or backpack, if at all.

Then you can take the extra you saved, and get a reel for one of them.

The 4 wt lets you fish almost any small, brushy stream where you'd be hindered by the longer rod. And the 5 wt can handle most nymphing in most medium to larger waters.

Now you'd have solid, quality rods, at a good price, that enable you to fish just about any water in the east.

I recomend St. Croix - Avid. It is $240 and is a phemonenal rod. Go 9' 5wt. Besides, there is no need to spend more than $250 on a rod.

Both the Sage FLi and the Winston Vapor are nice rods for around that price range. I am a Winston fan, so I would steer you that way. Cast one at your local fly shop... thats the best way to decide.

Gota love the Fenwick HMX Fly Rods...they are only around $160. I absolutely love my 8 foot 5 weight.

As much as I hate to say this and some wil disagree.. A 250 dollar rod is by far diiferent form a 600 dollar stick. You can not compare a TLS to a T3 or a Sage FLI to a XP(z axis) there is no way its all about materials . IF any one cares to discuss scrim and such thats fine . Bottom line is a high end stick will cast farther with ease , be precise and much lighter . . A the end of the day its how much time you spend onthe water .. I still say check online for closeouts get the best rod you can you wont regret it .... Sorry if this hurts so feelings .. just my 2 cents

I still can't afford them when they are discounted thats my problem. Its all what you get used to using. I know some guys that still use the old Fenwick rods that weigh 10 pounds and are like 30 or 40 years old and can catch the fish with the best of them. Its what you get used to and can afford. Yeah I hope spending $600+ on a rod would give you some kind of advantages...just are they worth the extra $? maybe to some but not to everyone. Its like buying an expensive reel...I don't see a reason to if you are fishing here in central PA. I maybe if I would be going to Erie for stealhead all the time but I don't need a reel with high tech drag systems or anything like that. I get maybe 2 or 3 fish on the backing a year and I don't "reel" fish on the reel I strip them in and control the pressure myself so I don't let the drag really do anything and I've never found it to be a problem. If I was fishing bigger water I probably would have a different idea about this but high tech isn't always needed in a lot of situations. A lot of these high end products are more of a status symbol I feel then an actual advantage to fishing. Not in all cases this is true but I know several where it is.

One can really only say what feels right for themselves, so all opinions will be subjective. For my part, the St. Croix Avid series is a fine product for the price. I'd buy that rod and fish the heck out of it before any Sage or Orvis. However, that doesn't mean I disagree with anyone who'd say there's no way a St. Croix Avid is better tahn and Orvis.
Coughlin

Forgive me for being blunt.

The rod you describe (casts typically never longer than 50 ft and roll casts well) would best be a moderate action rods. Most of the rods you mention are quite fast. The TFO Finesse would be the slowest of the bunch and its still fairly quick.

In your price range go out and CAST (forget the reviews) a Scott V2, a lower flex rated Orvis Clearwater, a TFO Finesse, Cabelas PT, St. Croix Reign/Premier/Triumph or find a used Wnston IM6/WT or Scott G/G2 (both probably still hard to find under $250).

There is no "best" rod, only a "best" rod for you.

Back