Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

What gear do I need....

From Bucks County
Hey guys,

I plan on doing some shopping and am wondering what I am going to have to look into.

What do you have in your vest, chest, lumbar pack? I do not have really anything at the moment....kinda been lacking on keeping my gear in order since it has been a while for me to actually hit the water...

I am thinking I need a thermometer, leader straightener...and other various things.

What would you tell someone who is starting out to buy....?

I thought I would ask here because I might be forgetting things.

Posted on: 2011/7/30 0:58

Edited by thebassman on 2011/7/30 1:47:27

Re: What gear do I need....

From Elizabethtown, PA
Things I always make sure to have are, tippet, flies/box, nippers, knife, drying patch, split shot, extra leaders, pliers and hemostats, dry fly floatant. Those are my necessities, that's all I really need.

You should list out what you plan on buying, not really sure on what you already have.

Posted on: 2011/7/30 2:11

From Bucks County
lets say I have nothing....cause I really...well...have nothing at the moment

Posted on: 2011/7/30 2:23

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Drift boat.

Posted on: 2011/7/30 9:58

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From SEPA
Quote:

thebassman wrote:
lets say I have nothing....cause I really...well...have nothing at the moment

some guy wrote this out. maybe its helpful?

Quote:
A nippers: Nippers. Fancy fishin' talk for something to cut with. You can buy a fancy one, or you can use a nail clipper if you're cheap. I'm cheap, but I still bought a decent nippers with a nail knot tool on top. I find it invaluable.
Hemostats: More than just a roach clip, you will use this to crimp barbs, remove hooks, crush shot, hold your J, occasionally assist in knot tying, etc. I usually use, and lose, the $1 Pakisteel jobs, which are servicable.
Floatant: Helps keep waterlogged flies up top. You can use any number of things, but Gink is cheap and effective. Albolene is way cheaper, and the same as Gink, if you'd rather.
Sinkers: Split shot, soft tung putty, lead, tin, whatever. The putty is nice because you can use as little as you want. The shot is cheaper. Fly fishing usually uses little itty bitty shot sizes, not the Watergremlin stuff you can just buy at a tackle shop.
BobbersIndicators: Bobbers. Thingamabobbers, yarn, foam pinch on, etc etc etc. Some guys don't use them and think they're a crutch. If you're going to make me nymph, I need a crutch. YMMV. I make my own. I told you how to do it, too.
Tippet: You could use fishing line, but just spring for a couple spools of tippet. Here in SEPA, you could live with spools of 4x, 5x, and 6x and never really worry beyond that. Flourocarbon is stupid expensive and doesn't break down when left outside. I never use it, mono is good enough for me.
Glasses: Yes, I've got to spell it out because some people think they won't need them. Some people like me. I'm sold now. Not only that, but when I got a good pair instead of the cheapest polarized glasses I could find, things got better. I accomplished this cheaply with a rad pair of clip-ons for my prescription #OOPS#. I would suggest the little nerd strap that holds them on though. Ever pick $300 worth of glasses out of 4' of cold spring creek all the while wondering if they shift how far they'll float away and if you'll ever see them again? I did. Once. Then I bought the nerd string. If you're picking a shade of lens, let the following guide you: Grey will preserve colour defination, amber will cut the most glare, and yellow will make you look like a #OOPS# but preserve more clarity as the sun slips into shadow.

(note, some guy might be me)

Posted on: 2011/7/30 11:49

From Ephrata, PA
Night vision goggles.

Posted on: 2011/7/30 11:49

From Pittsburgh
If you did forget something important, you'll likely find out after you hiked a few miles into a secluded spot.
Usually how it worked out for me

Posted on: 2011/7/30 12:37

From Pittsburgh
a plethora of zinggers for the lot of it all

Posted on: 2011/7/30 13:30

From Bucks County
So I just got back from the shopping trip and here is a list of what I purchased...

Rio 9ft 7x Leaders
1/2" Multicolor ThingamaBobbers
Nippers
Leader Straightener
Stream Thermometer
zinggers
Gink
5in Forceps
Wind River Gear Medium Fly Box

I also picked up...
white and chartreuse clouser minnow
white and chartreuse popper
and night vision goggles....

also picked up some slick trick magnum broadheads...but thats a different topic.

Am I missing anything...I found some tippet material that I had already so I did not buy that....I need to pick up some shot or the tung putty stuff...

Posted on: 2011/7/30 16:37

From Altoona
If you're fishing for bass/trout, the 7x leaders will be too light. Especially for bass. Unless you're throwing tricos.

Posted on: 2011/7/30 16:46

From Bucks County
this is not for bass.....this would be for some trout. I went with 7x just because I always used 2lb test mono when I would use spinning gear for trout in MO. The streams there where fished so much that anything more would spook the fish.....maybe its to light....I will just have to be smart when fighting a fish

Posted on: 2011/7/30 17:01

From Altoona
It can be done, some guys do use it. But I think most guys on here agree that it's unnecessary for our PA trout. Usually, 5X is the thinnest you need to go, sometimes 6X. The 7X leaders will work, but you may lose a bigger fish on it.

I didn't mean to rain on your parade. lol. That's the only problem I personally found in your list.

Posted on: 2011/7/30 20:55

From Bucks County
No raining done....I have never really fished for trout in PA so I just went with what I knew....I purchased three of them and I expect to buy more soon....Being so new I bet I am going to be snagging in trees and whatnot... I will purchase some 5x or 6x next time if these do not work out.

Posted on: 2011/7/31 1:14

From Altoona
If you're a dry fly guy, 5X is definitely the norm. On some streams, you may have to bump it to 6X.

If you nymph, 4X can be used early season, but by May/June 5X is mandatory IMO.

Posted on: 2011/7/31 1:34

From Chester County
Quote:

thebassman wrote:
this is not for bass.....this would be for some trout. I went with 7x just because I always used 2lb test mono when I would use spinning gear for trout in MO. The streams there where fished so much that anything more would spook the fish.....maybe its to light....I will just have to be smart when fighting a fish

B-man, in FFing, you really can't pick one size tippet and fish it for all flies and methods of fishing. While water clarity and flow is a factor, the size of the fly is a huge factor in selecting your tippet size, ie you can't fish buggers with 7x or midges on 4x. You will have great difficulty casting a large or even a average sized fly and getting it to turn over with a light tippet, and you see that they will spin in the air and twist up your tippet and break off. In the opposite scenario, a heavy tippet will drag a small fly. In addition, fishing weighted nymphs with 7x will also be futile and very frustrating.

A simple formula to use as a guideline for selecting a tippet is to divide the size of the fly by 4 and add 1.

Size 12 / 4 = 3 (+ 1) = 4X
Size 16 / 4 = 4 (+ 1) = 5X
Size 20 / 4 = 5 (+ 1) = 6X

I hardly ever use 7x, only for very small midges. If you buy leaders, I recommend you try a 9' 4x. You can use a 4x tipper for bigger flies and nymphing or tie in a 2' tippet of 5x for size 14- 18 flies. For smaller flies cut back your 5x tippet to 12" or so and tie in 2' of 6x tippet. Unless your fishing midges or tricos (very small flies that hatch in the summer), leave the 7x at home.

HTH

Posted on: 2011/7/31 7:02

Edited by afishinado on 2011/7/31 7:18:01
Edited by afishinado on 2011/7/31 7:23:35

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com