What do you wear under waders in summer?

pcray1231

pcray1231

Ok, making my Christmas wish lists. Anyway, in cooler weather the options for under wader wear are endless. But what does everyone do in summer? (I'm not a wet wader)

I've not found the perfect solution.

1. I sometimes wear jeans. But they are cotton and hold water (sweat or minor leaks, not sure sometimes).
2. I sometimes wear shorts. But I don't like the feel, when you step in the water, of the wader getting pushed against the skin.
3. I've tried the light convertible shorts/pants things, and they're ok, but they're too loose fitting down low and ride up on me. Material would be ideal if they made em with stirrups or something.
4. I've tried just a light pair of under armor type bottoms, which work GREAT. But it sucks having to change your pants in the car before you go to the bar! They don't have to look good, but they do have to be appropriate to wear around without the waders.

I usually wear the hiking pants, but I tuck them in my socks, reducing the tendency to ride up. another option is ultra light weight silk longjohns, pretty close to wearing nothing, but they feel better than bare skin against the waders.

I typically wet wade in the summer. When I do wear waders in warm weather I wear capilene silkweight, probably a lot like the underarmor you described. Not good for the bar but the best stuff I've found to wear under waders in warm weather. I keep a pare of shorts in the car to change into after fishing. It's comfortable, but not convenient.

Lightweight fishing pants, the type with the zip off leg, I leave them as pants, I think I got them from Sierra Trading Post.

I have a pair of LLBean fishing pants that can zip into shorts ... only pair, always wear em and they've last abt 2 years so far.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/45464?feat=500356-GN3&page=men-s-tropicwear-reg-zip-leg-pants

I'm a sock tucker too. Whatever pants you pick won't ride up if you do that.

The streams I fish allow me to wear muck boots or barn boots in the summer.

If I do fish a bigger stream, and don't wet wade, I wear jeans under my waders.

I don't wear pants in the summer (too hot), so I just wear a pair of shorts under my waders.

Lightweight Dockers or dress pants. Also tuck my pants into the socks. I just have a duffle with old work slacks / socks that I recycle

Dickies work pants - which I also wear for my job. No bulk - and if you do get them wet, they dry very quickly. And with a very modest price, I don't think you can beat them for wearing under waders.

I even use them - over thermal underwear - in cold weather too.

I wear shorts or those light weight Columbia fishing pants. In the summer I almost always wear a tank top or sleeveless shirt. This offsets the extra heat created by wearing waders.... more area for the heat to escape.

Calf high thin Nike dri fit socks are awesome with gym shorts on summer days. I normally try to wear heat gear shorts by under armour.

I usually wear athletic shorts to the stream. I have a pair of LIGHTWEIGHT, synthetic longjohns that go on over them, then socks, then waders.

L.M.A.O. My Wife gave me a yellow thong with a picture of an 18" brown Trout on the front,it's my lucky fishing thong. I would show you a picture of it but it would start the old stocked or wild argument.

I have a pair of Simms fishing pants, core 3 that I just got this year. For almost 30 years I've worn jeans. The difference is unbelievable, the level of comfort is fantastic. I know pants like that are not cheap, that's what took me so long to get a pair. I'm very sorry it took this long. I just got a pair of pant height waders teamed up it's a beautiful thing.

Yes, lightweight, quick-dry fishing pants for under my waders in the summer. I also wear lightweight socks over the pant legs to prevent them from riding up. Jeans or sweatpants are way too warm and hold water (sweat) like a sponge. Also, I fold down my waders to waist high which keeps me cooler in warm weather.

Nothing but socks, like to stay real cool !

I either wet wade or wear light fishing pants and tuck them in socks.
Bill A

Back