Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

What do you use for a tape measure?

From Lancaster County
My fishing tape measure finally bit the dust about two weeks ago. I had been using an old Ace Hardware retractable freebie for about ten years, but it finally rusted out and the tape blade broke. Prior to that, I was using an identical Ace Hardware retractable freebie, which also broke (but I had picked up two of them when I was a teen, which is how I managed to make them last twenty years).

So what do you use? I'm looking for something small (inch diameter or so), and it only needs to be three feet or so in length (biggest fish I have ever caught is a 30" steelhead). I'd prefer a built in zinger or carabiner (something like this SilverStone FlyFishing offering from China, which looks strikingly similar to an Orvis label offering. A non-metal tape would be nice, to avoid the rusting, and the handful of times that I've metal-tape cut my fingers.

I haven't made a trip to Home Depot or Lowes or the local hardware store yet (or Cabelas), to see what trinkets they might offer, but figured I'd poll the collective wisdom of the Internet to see what others use.

Posted on: 2012/10/7 21:20

Re: What do you use for a tape measure?
From Dallastown, PA
I was in Home Depot the other day and there was a bin at the end of the aisle with trinkets for $2.97. One was a 24" syringe style "grabber" and telescoping magnet. The other was a smallish tape measure, I think it went up to ten ft. maybe it was 3ft. Not sure but I thought when I saw it, would make a nice vest dangler.

Posted on: 2012/10/7 22:03

From SW PA/Tioga
I no longer use any measuring device for fishing. I can tell with a glance a 6", 8", 10", 12", 14" and 16" fish. I have not caught enough fish larger than that to instantly tell its size but it no longer matters to me.

You could put tape or some other marking on your rod to use as a measuring device.

Posted on: 2012/10/8 2:41

From harlansburg
most of my rod builds have a signature wrap about inches from the end of the rod, gives me some type of idea how big a fish might be. but honestly, I really don't care, I usually just release em and get back to fishing.

Posted on: 2012/10/8 6:59

From Lehigh Valley
I keep my forceps clipped to my vest with one of these things. Figure they'd be on a zinger anyways, so it might as well do double duty.

That said, I've never used it to measure a fish. It does work nicely as a zinger though...

Posted on: 2012/10/8 8:18

From Gettysburg
I put a 20" mark on all my freshwater fly rods. I'll take a quick pic of a nice fish and then can later line up the fish with the marks and get an idea of the size. My little brookie rods also have a mark at 8 inches.

Posted on: 2012/10/8 8:23

From down the block from the Letort.
The opening for my net measures 14" longways, I think it's 22" overall length, so that's a good reference. Or from the inner crook of my elbow to tip of my fingers is 18".

Posted on: 2012/10/8 9:13

From bucks county
i use a little knitting measuring tape, well thats what my mom used it for at least. its soft and rolls up small so i can get a girth on fish if im that interested. no zinger on it though, but you could prolly just put a hole through one end and attach one.

Posted on: 2012/10/8 9:26

Those measure nets are really nice. You can measure a fish without taking them out of the water.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/10/8 9:32

From lebanon, pa
I use a tape everyday. So I don't need one for getting things to the nearist inch or so.

Posted on: 2012/10/9 19:53

From West Chester
in my trout vest i carry one of those small key chain tape measures. when i'm fishing for larger species that could exceed the 30 inches or so of the smaller tape measure i use tailor's tape. It's waterproof, it's huge, and most of all it's cheap. i got 6 of them for i think a dollar or two. the only downside is it's a bit of a pain to roll it back up.

Posted on: 2012/10/10 9:12

From Ephrata, PA
From the end of the palm of my hand to my middle finger is 8". Gives me enough reference for 90% of the trout I catch.

Posted on: 2012/10/10 9:36

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:
From the end of the palm of my hand to my middle finger is 18". Gives me enough reference for 90% of the trout I catch.

fixed that Squatch!

Posted on: 2012/10/10 10:29

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Quote:

ryguyfi wrote:
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:
From the end of the palm of my hand to my middle finger is 18". Gives me enough reference for 90% of the trout I catch.

fixed that Squatch!

+1. But Squatch, there is no minimum size on Chubs...you don't need to measure them!

I don't carry a tape or any other device for measuring, my rods aren't marked. I don't fish for, or catch a lot of big fish (Trout anyway). Estimating is fine for me. Of bigger concern for me is usually whether I want a picture of it or not...and that's usually determined more so by its coloration/pattern than size. If it's one I'd like a measurement of for some reason I lay it along the rod and take its picture...measure later.

Posted on: 2012/10/10 10:33

From Ephrata, PA
Hey, if I'm catching fish that consistenly measure 18", that'd be sweet!

I haven't caught a chub in over a month. Sweet bliss.

Posted on: 2012/10/10 10:43

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com