What do you use for a tape measure?

salmonoid

salmonoid

My fishing tape measure finally bit the dust about two weeks ago. I had been using an old Ace Hardware retractable freebie for about ten years, but it finally rusted out and the tape blade broke. Prior to that, I was using an identical Ace Hardware retractable freebie, which also broke (but I had picked up two of them when I was a teen, which is how I managed to make them last twenty years).

So what do you use? I'm looking for something small (inch diameter or so), and it only needs to be three feet or so in length (biggest fish I have ever caught is a 30" steelhead). I'd prefer a built in zinger or carabiner (something like this SilverStone FlyFishing offering from China, which looks strikingly similar to an Orvis label offering. A non-metal tape would be nice, to avoid the rusting, and the handful of times that I've metal-tape cut my fingers.

I haven't made a trip to Home Depot or Lowes or the local hardware store yet (or Cabelas), to see what trinkets they might offer, but figured I'd poll the collective wisdom of the Internet to see what others use.

I was in Home Depot the other day and there was a bin at the end of the aisle with trinkets for $2.97. One was a 24" syringe style "grabber" and telescoping magnet. The other was a smallish tape measure, I think it went up to ten ft. maybe it was 3ft. Not sure but I thought when I saw it, would make a nice vest dangler.

I no longer use any measuring device for fishing. I can tell with a glance a 6", 8", 10", 12", 14" and 16" fish. I have not caught enough fish larger than that to instantly tell its size but it no longer matters to me.

You could put tape or some other marking on your rod to use as a measuring device.

most of my rod builds have a signature wrap about inches from the end of the rod, gives me some type of idea how big a fish might be. but honestly, I really don't care, I usually just release em and get back to fishing.

I keep my forceps clipped to my vest with one of these things. Figure they'd be on a zinger anyways, so it might as well do double duty.

That said, I've never used it to measure a fish. It does work nicely as a zinger though...

I put a 20" mark on all my freshwater fly rods. I'll take a quick pic of a nice fish and then can later line up the fish with the marks and get an idea of the size. My little brookie rods also have a mark at 8 inches.

The opening for my net measures 14" longways, I think it's 22" overall length, so that's a good reference. Or from the inner crook of my elbow to tip of my fingers is 18".

i use a little knitting measuring tape, well thats what my mom used it for at least. its soft and rolls up small so i can get a girth on fish if im that interested. no zinger on it though, but you could prolly just put a hole through one end and attach one.

Those measure nets are really nice. You can measure a fish without taking them out of the water.

P7040004.JPG

in my trout vest i carry one of those small key chain tape measures. when i'm fishing for larger species that could exceed the 30 inches or so of the smaller tape measure i use tailor's tape. It's waterproof, it's huge, and most of all it's cheap. i got 6 of them for i think a dollar or two. the only downside is it's a bit of a pain to roll it back up.

From the end of the palm of my hand to my middle finger is 8". Gives me enough reference for 90% of the trout I catch.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
From the end of the palm of my hand to my middle finger is 18". Gives me enough reference for 90% of the trout I catch.

fixed that Squatch! :-D

ryguyfi wrote:
The_Sasquatch wrote:
From the end of the palm of my hand to my middle finger is 18". Gives me enough reference for 90% of the trout I catch.

fixed that Squatch! :-D

+1. But Squatch, there is no minimum size on Chubs...you don't need to measure them!

I don't carry a tape or any other device for measuring, my rods aren't marked. I don't fish for, or catch a lot of big fish (Trout anyway). Estimating is fine for me. Of bigger concern for me is usually whether I want a picture of it or not...and that's usually determined more so by its coloration/pattern than size. If it's one I'd like a measurement of for some reason I lay it along the rod and take its picture...measure later.

Hey, if I'm catching fish that consistenly measure 18", that'd be sweet!

I haven't caught a chub in over a month. Sweet bliss.

Go to the sewing section of walmart and they will have retractable tpaes that usually go to 3'.

You can also buy tape measurers that stick to your rod.

I make small 1/8" wraps on my rods at 14, 16, 18, and 20"es.
This is something you can even do with factory rods.

I do this as well... ^^ Nothing extra to carry.

I ended up going the sewing tape route, which had definitely escaped my initial trains of thought. I appreciate all the suggestions; however, if I didn't want to measure fish, I wouldn't be asking for what people use for a tape measure :)

Using a net or a measure net - I don't always fish with a net, so that possibility wouldn't satisfy my requirements all the time.

Marking up a rod - I only fish factory rods at this point, and I while I don't have a ton of rods that I fish consistently (maybe two or three) a part of me doesn't want to mark them up. I could identify key lengths of certain features of each of the rods (grips, distance to first ferrule or segment on the six piece rods) but then I'd have to remember all the measurements.

I can sight guesstimate lengths, but the reason I want a measure is so I can confirm when I finally catch my first 22" wild brown, or my first 13" wild brookie. I don't measure a lot of fish, but when I do, I want to know the exact length.

I looked at Bass Pro the other night and I could find was this gaudy thing, which looks like something a wife would buy for her fly-fishing husband, because its cute. I also looked at Walmart but could only find a combo tape measure kit and I already have enough 25' tapes for work. I couldn't find a sewing tape with a fastener on it in the store.

But, I eventually honed in on the Hoechstmass picco model, which appears to be quite a bit more quality made than the advertising promo trinkets that the logo marketing people are trying to hawk. It meets all my requirements - relatively small, lightweight, retractable, not a metal tape, and has a ring for fastening.

I use my hand, then my rod. I know the width of my hand, tip of the thumb to the tip of my pinky, it's 9 inches. After that the grip and reel seat are 10 inches the hook keeper is 13 inches, the first guide is 15 inches and so on. My are is 22 inches from the crook of the elbow to the tip of my middle finger.

If you hold the fish away from your body and closer to the camera the fish will always look bigger than it is. No tape measure necessary. Just decide on what size fish you believe you have caught and stick with it.

Back