Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: What are your angling colors?

From harlansburg
next time I'm fishing the neshannock, I'm gonna wear an orange shirt and a hat with a propeller!! ha, bet I wont get crowded out!!

Posted on: 2011/2/24 16:55

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
I cover myself in tin foil...LOL any drab clothing will do even flannel

Posted on: 2011/2/24 17:09

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

I wear drab, earth-tone colors or camo. And I took it one step further: I bought an olive colored fly line for my new 6 1/2' 3 weight rod. Close fishing for brookies in small mountain streams. Will it make a difference? We'll see.

Posted on: 2011/2/24 17:56

From Central Maryland
I'm not super picky about what kinda clothes I wear on the water. I have two designated fishing shirts that are olive and tan. In the summer, I just try to grab a t-shirt that seems reasonable. Brown, green, and gray usually, but I'm not afraid to wear a bright red or orange shirt on the water.

Posted on: 2011/2/24 17:59

From Clinton County, Pa.
outsider, Did you buy the Cortland "Clear Creek" flyline that we talked about on the forum?

Posted on: 2011/2/24 19:44

From girard pa
most times i wear camo not sure if it helps. but most of my clothing for cold and wet is from hunting so its camo. In warm weather i wear a dark green or blue shirt. My warm weather waders are greenish color and my cold weather waders are camo.

Posted on: 2011/2/24 19:58

"outsider, Did you buy the Cortland "Clear Creek" flyline that we talked about on the forum?"

Yes I did. Can't wait to try it out.

Posted on: 2011/2/24 20:17

From Gunpowder River, MD
Quote:

acristickid wrote:
Do you believe in stealthy clothes to go along with your approach to the stream?

I feel most anglers believe that bright colors are a no-no.

What colors do you believe work best for fishing as far as clothing? Tan, green, blue or camo?

I am not overly concerned but try not to wear bright colors and don’t go overboard- unless in Florida. You?

For me chosing to wear stealthy colths in the field is all part of the process of getting into a state of mind that is condusive to good trout fishing. Even if clothing color did not matter, in the over all scheming process that goes into catching a trout, I would rather not fish in bright orange cloths.

Dark green.

Posted on: 2011/2/24 20:30

From Clinton County, Pa.
outsider, how about a report on the new flyline when you try it out? I think you will like it. I have that line in 2,3 and 4 weights and love it.

Posted on: 2011/2/24 20:50

From Dispositionally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
>"outsider, Did you buy the Cortland "Clear Creek" flyline that we talked about on the forum?"

Yes I did. Can't wait to try it out.?>>

It's a very nice line, IMO. I've been fishing them exclusively in WI and Iowa for the past 3 years or so. The price is right and I like to support Cortland, which I would imagine is in a fight for its life now with Rio, SA, Sage and everybody else and their left-handed brother in law in the fly line business. I don't know that the level tip makes that much of a difference, but it is a nice casting line, on all my rods anyway, which are all older, slower graphite.

The only down side I've found to them is that unless you keep right after them maintenance-wise, they start to crack and check fairly soon for what I've generally seen from Cortland lines, with the exception of the 444SL's. But, on the other hand, I'm tough on lines. I walk on them and seldom clean them and accordingly, I usually need a new one every season. The old peach 444's seemed to stand up to this and I could get 2 seasons out of them with a little care. But the Clear Creek seems to have a lifespan more like the 444SL's, somewhat shorter.

YMMV, of course..

Posted on: 2011/2/24 20:55

From Florida
There are a few places I've fished which require that blaze orange be worn. Though I'd rather spook a bunch of brookies than be mistaken for a deer, I've wondered if that bright shade of color spooks the fish, all other things being equal. What do you guys think? (EDIT: I wear a blaze orange ball cap where/when needed)

P.S. : I wear mostly grays and shades of green/olive when I fish.

Posted on: 2011/2/24 20:55

- Ray Bergman

Yea, for the most part I share the same thoughts.

Mostly I wear either a lighter green or a darker green shirt and a neutral colored hat. This year I might switch to a camo hat- if only because my current and favorite LJRA hat is getting pretty ratty and I actually own a camo hat already.

Have worn brighter colored shirts in Florida or when I have been fortunate enough to float fish.

Thought for sure someone was gonna mention a bandana.

Posted on: 2011/2/24 21:50

"outsider, how about a report on the new flyline when you try it out? I think you will like it. I have that line in 2,3 and 4 weights and love it."

It will be a while untill I fish it - probably a month. But I will report it. As soon as the back yard dries out I'll do some practice casts with it.

I don't understand why lines don't last for some people. I clean my lines every time I use one by running the line through a soft tissue and then I dress it. And I do take care of them when I fish. Honesty, I still use lines that are 30 years old.

Posted on: 2011/2/24 22:45

From Johnstown, PA
Cammo is the thing to wear if you want to blend in. I laugh every time i see an angler with a white hat on or bright blue shirt , do you think the fish are blind? Earthtones are for Orvis folks heh

Posted on: 2011/2/25 7:18

Well,if we are going to sneak up on them,sight unseen,wouldn't you need to wear reversible waders,hats,shirts,face paint?
A cameo outfit would be pretty obvious against a skyline and a bright blue or gray getup would stand out against a green or fall colored background.
Maybe a roll down thing on the hat?
I guess RLeeps idea is better.

Posted on: 2011/2/25 7:34

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com