Walkie-talkie recommendations?

steveo

steveo

Anyone have a recommendation for a set of walkie-talkies for under $50? The wife and I are renting a cabin in an area with no cell coverage and she would like to able to reach me when I'm fishing. I probably won't be more than a mile or so from her however the terrain is pretty rough. I've got zero experience with them so I'm not even sure what features to look for.

You want an FRS radio and Motorola makes a nice product in their Talk About line. I wouldn’t worry about features (the basic features will do) and regular AA batteries last for more than a day for me.

You may want to look on eBay for a set of used because keeping it @ $50 may be tough and cheap radios don’t always equal their higher quality counterparts in range and voice quality.

Also, be forewarned range is 1000% relevant on terrain with hilly and mountainous geographies offering a range of less than a mile.

In other words, no matter what you buy you may not get the coverage advertised so if you can borrow a set, you may be better off versus spending the $$$ and finding out they didn’t solve your problem.

Get waterproof walkies.

Something like these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Motorola-TalkAbout-MT350-FRS-GMRS-2-Way-Radio-Walkie-Talkie-Ni-MH-Rechargeable-/172001191459?hash=item280c11e623:g:Dx4AAOSw4UtWSkTW

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-NEW-Motorola-MT350R-FRS-Weatherproof-Two-Way-Radios-Walkie-Talkies-MT350-/400820847783?hash=item5d52c8c4a7:g:S5gAAOSwj0NUhBwa

LOL. Didn't see your post and we posted the same thing.

"Weatherproof" would be good. Waterproof would be better. Wonder how they would survive a quick dunk. Not that I ever fall in...

I have been using walkie-talkies while fishing for close to 20 years and mine aren't waterproof. I'm not saying waterproof is bad, just maybe not essential. When I go tubing I put mine is a small dry bag. If it rains while fishing, it goes in a pocket.

Also, I can't emphasize enough how much better & convenient being able to use regular batteries is. While rechargeables are nice, you have to remember to recharge them and the battery life is less than alkaline or lithium. Make sure any radio you consider can use both rechargeable & regular batteries.

Also, the GRMS dual function is nice but you are required to get an FCC license to operate them in the US. I looked into it once and deemed it not worth it.

Again, not to say a dual function radio is bad, it just may cost more and offer no benefit unless you plan to pursue the license, which BTW isn't free.

Back