Waistpack and deep wading

greenlander

greenlander

I'm curious how other waist pack users handle deep wading, or in other words, their waist pack getting wet.

Even though I have waterproof fly boxes (all of which are currently cracked and not waterproof from a fall), I'm sick of everything in my pack getting soaked. Even when I'm not wading above my waist, I'm still often crouching and getting the pack wet that way.

I'm thinking of moving to a waterproof waist pack as a result, specifically the Simms Dry Creek bag.

greenlander wrote:
I'm curious how other waist pack users handle deep wading, or in other words, their waist pack getting wet.

Even though I have waterproof fly boxes (all of which are currently cracked and not waterproof from a fall), I'm sick of everything in my pack getting soaked. Even when I'm not wading above my waist, I'm still often crouching and getting the pack wet that way.

I'm thinking of moving to a waterproof waist pack as a result, specifically the Simms Dry Creek bag.

Well I think it is pretty obvious how other deal with it. They either get it wet or they don't. LOL.

The Simms Dry Creek and other assorted waterproof Simms waist bags are excellent. I use that pretty much exclusively. My zipper did fail, so I will have to see if I can get it back on track. It keeps water out very well and is a decent size. Fishpond came out with an awesome, big waist bag but it is not waterproof.

jdaddy wrote:
Well I think it is pretty obvious how other deal with it. They either get it wet or they don't. LOL.

Agreed. I guess I phrased the question wrong. Was just curious whether I'm the only one that gets fed up with the wetness. I've seen a few other guys switch their pack to chest or take it off when wading deep. I won't be bothered by such nonsense.

Another question would be -- are the dry bags still going to let in water if you submerge them? Simms indicates that these bags aren't submersible and waterproof, so I'm curious how much water might get in if wading chest deep with a bag under water at your waist for 10 minutes.

If it is going to end up filling up, then you might just be better off with a pack that will drain.

No perfect solution, I imagine.

greenlander wrote:
jdaddy wrote:

Agreed. I guess I phrased the question wrong. Was just curious whether I'm the only one that gets fed up with the wetness. I've seen a few other guys switch their pack to chest or take it off when wading deep. I won't be bothered by such nonsense.

Another question would be -- are the dry bags still going to let in water if you submerge them? Simms indicates that these bags aren't submersible and waterproof, so I'm curious how much water might get in if wading chest deep with a bag under water at your waist for 10 minutes.

If it is going to end up filling up, then you might just be better off with a pack that will drain.

No perfect solution, I imagine.

I think a 10 minute full submersion is going to be problematic for the zipper. That's the weak point on the Simms (and probably any other bag with a zipper). Hell, let me go fiddle with mine and see if I can get that zipper back on track and I'll test it.

So what do you carry that can't fit into a short vest worn inside your waders?
I use to wade within two inches of the top of my waders-sometimes had to tip toe-you quickly learn just how little you need on a stream.lol

pete41 wrote:
So what do you carry that can't fit into a short vest worn inside your waders?
I use to wade within two inches of the top of my waders-sometimes had to tip toe-you quickly learn just how little you need on a stream.lol

Vests suck.

Any other questions?

+1

I've been wearing shortie vests ever since I started FF - so I guess I'm just used to them.
And I can't imagine intentionally putting all of my "stuff" into something that will be submerged - when I can carry it above the water

When wading in over my waist, I take it off and sling it over my neck. Yeah, like a chest pack. It's not a difficult move to make.

The large Sage Typhoon waist pack has two zippered pockets, one is submersible and the other is wateproof. The zipper on the submersible is a YKK zipper that looks like the zipper in the Simms G4z waders. I store things I need to keep dry in the submersible pocket and things that can stand a little moisture in the waterproof pocket. In practice, the only time water has gotten into the waterproof pocket was when I neglected to zip it shut. Because this pack has a magnetic weather flap that covers the waterproof pocket, sometimes I just use that to cover the pocket.

I really like this pack, but it is expensive.

Shane, which will and joseph pack did/do you have? Was looking at them at Cabelas.

Brandon - Shane has the Confluence pack - Cabela's in Hamburg doesn't carry them.

The new Confluence has magnetic closures on the two front compartments. I prefer the old style, with the zippers - Shane does, too (he had the old one, and now has the new style).

Here's a really good deal on the old zipper style Confluence. Link

Thanks, btw, I was looking the other week at LL. Bean there and either they were sold out or only had a small chest pack. I might have to look into what they have, as well as the quest for an 8 wt reel for salt.

They did have the magnetic closure ones there, I thought they were kinda neat, but could see them getting ripped open on a branch and losing stuff. The look on them was nice as well, at least if I don't catch anything, I would look good doing it!

BrandonMH wrote:
I might have to look into what they have, as well as the quest for an 8 wt reel for salt.

well, didja know that?

100_1003.jpg

Sucks that picture won't display, eh?

surprised me.

the store manager recommended that to me once, i said, "won't it just fall apart?" he laughed and said, "bring it back and we'll just give you a new one."

Deuterium wrote:
I really like this pack, but it is expensive.

Hadn't seen this one before, looks pretty interesting. You're not kidding about expensive, though. You can get a full size waterproof boat bag for that price.

What about a sling pack? I think I remember someone talking about those once before. You can slide them from back to front when you need to get things out and can slide it higher up near your shoulder for deeper water.

Back