Wading pants

gulfgreyhound

gulfgreyhound

Any recommendations on wading pants other than jeans?Jeans have that hem? that creates a wad of material that is just plain annoying and creates a welt on the ankle. Advise?

Jeans are terrible wading pants IMO.

I have a pair of quick dry redington wading pants. They were $30 or so on sale at a big box store. They dry within minutes, and are very lightweight.

What about something like this. They probably still have a cuff. Were you gonna wear them for wet wading or for under waders?

Gulf,

I'm not entirely sure on your question. If it is for wet wading, try any number of the lightweight, quick-drying wading pants available for sale.

If your question is for underneath your waders, I've found sweat pants to be the ticket. Try to find sweat pants without the elastic at the hem. I just fold the bottom of the SP around my ankle and slide over a thick pair of socks. It elimates the bunching up of material at the ankle. HTH.

Oh and for your trip to US NY this fall, polar fleece pants under your waders are the cat's behind!

I have a pair of Ex Officio zip off pants that I really like for wading. They dry fast and are very light weight. The only downside I found is the price. I got mine on sale and they were still around $50.

10 years or so ago, Columbia Sportswear and Patagonia came out with the zip-off leg nylon fishing pants to go along with their even more expensive fishing shirts. The copy cats came out with competing models quickly, and those in turn got to sale racks quickly, whereupon I bought 4 pair, at about 10 bucks each.

Mine have wide mesh underwear built in, but I bought sizing large enough that I could wear them with boxer briefs or without for wet wading. I would suggest the same, but size differences among product lines means you should try them on first to know the size is right.

They have held up just fine. They can be washed by soaking in a bucket of water with dish soap in your motel room and rinsed in the sink, then hung to dry quickly like others have said. And they are so thin the "sock tuck" does not create an annoying binding seam against your leg like jeans, which are also too uncomfortable in warm weather. Near perfect fishing equipment in my book.

As it gets colder the fleece pants are good to have.

Afish,

You can get sweat pants with the elastic and modify them easily. Just slit through the elastic cuff and give em a yank.

Under waders,left that out.I have the fleece ones and there ok,have the zip off leg pants, sort of thin for chilly weather.Maybe some chinos would work.just thinking ahead to Ontario tribs in Nov.

Chinos...anything thin like that. I roll mine around the lower shin and pull my sock over them to keep them in place above the boot line. For me its usually either fleece or shorts up here though.

I bought these to go over everything under my waders and also when I hunt and other things. holds everything tight socks and all.

LINK

I've seen those and thought they would just create more bulk...

I always go the cheap route...mesh shorts. No lie, the first 20 minutes are pretty brutal in the fall (especially if you're too cheap to buy neoprene), but once you lose feeling in your shins you're good to go.

I would advise against the undershorts only idea. I tried that once last year. Once was enough. On a related note, I learned a lot about how much pressure 4 feet of slow moving water can apply...

For warmth I have one word... UNDERARMOUR.

I got some cold gear last year and it is fantastic. Yeah you have to get past the tightness thing, but it's just like long johns but works twice as well. There's a few cheapo brands out there that I'm sure work just as well too.

I'll second the Underarmor stuff. I also have a closet full of the Redington Versi-pants, and for anything down to the mid 40's, I just use the Underarmor pants with the Redington pants over them. I also use those neoprene pant cuffs to keep everything in place, but last year I found a pair of really thin ones at Spruce Creek Outfitters that work great. For the really cold days, I sub fleece for the last layer under the Gore-tex waders/jacket.

Your feet are a crucial part of the battle to stay warm. Wicking socks followed by Merino wool works best for me.

Headwear is also important - a ballcap combined with the hood on my wading jacket works for me on all but the nastiest days, then the wool ski cap comes out. I have a Gore-tex/Thinsulate cap w/fold down earcuff, but everytime I wear it, I have the urge to say:

"Shhhhhh - be wary, wary quiet. I'm huntin' wabbits."
:roll:

Look for polyester, nylon or lycra fabrics..

just bought a couple pair of exofficio "Amphi's" Like them a lot and they're vented at the knees..Perfect for wet wading or for wearing in waders...

Thanks for all the info.I usually try to fish in thermals , jeans, wool shirt,blend socks, and Carry a light rain jacket.Usually don't have trouble with cold feet, lucky i guess.The bulk with the jeans when folded is the problem. Chinos probably will solve that. Thanks again.

world wide sportsman-out door angler[bass pro]$19.95

Back