Wading jackets

BrandonMH

BrandonMH

I have been looking at some wading jackets for over a year now. I was at cabelas today, got some more cold weather socks and some fleece underwader pants. I have been eye balling the orvis pro guide and tailwaters wading jackets, simms are nice as well, and a nice cabelas one, forget the name. Any recomendations out there?

I bought a Simms "Rivershed" wading jacket last year. It is Gore-Tex and only weighs 18.6 ounces. The fact this coat is very packable and made with Gore-Tex was the main reason I purchased it. It remains in the back pocket of my vest all the time. I have used it a few times with no complaints at all. IMO a very practical wading jacket.

I was looking at some packable ones as well. That is kinda what I want especially for spring/summer when pop up showers can happen. Still might/might not fish during winter, but at least I have some underwader fleece for even early spring wading if it is still cold. The one at cabelas was gore tex and green, kinda like the green to not stand out as much as other colors would. Although Simms and a few other companies are pretty slick looking.

If your jacket is not light and packable IMO you will more than likely leave it in your car or wader bag. As I mentioned I leave mine in my vest all the time. I can't even tell it's there until I need it. It has kept me nice and dry on several occasions. Good luck in your quest. Oh the "Rivershed" is charcoal gray and blends right in to the streamside environment.

Get something lightweight and packable. That way you only need to buy one jacket. If you get something heavy you'll only be able to use it during the colder months. You can always layer fleece underneath a lighter jacket, doesn't go the other way. I'd also recommend Patagonia's Deep Wading jacket. You can usually find older models for ~$150, making it one of the best deals out there for a quality jacket.

Was discussed in thread below before the thread got derailed (as usual).

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=15761&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

If you want a jacket thats really lite, packable and cheap that eill keep you dry, check out the new Frogg Togg wading jacket with water proof zipper chest pockets.

I have the Cabela's Gore-Tex wading jacket and I love it. Fits well, lots of pockets, keeps you dry and comfortable. Highly recommend it. The only issue I have with it is the velcro sleeve closure on the right sleeve catches my fly line every now and then when I cast. I have the older discontinued jacket. They may have addresed that on the new one. Not sure.

I bought a Field and Stream model at Dick's this summer on sale for $30. Light, packable, comfortable, durable, supposedly breathable. Good cuffs on the arm and a drawstring bottom, as well as a lack of anything that would soak up water if you waded over the waist, makes it a pretty good wading jacket. I noticed in warmer weather my arms would be a bit moist with sweat, so I don't think its super breathable, but it's not bad. For the price its a pretty nice option.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3034852&cp=2367438.2367824.2291514.2291526

I got an eastern mountain sports rain jacket that I keep in my vest. the thought of getting hit with a cold rain way out there this time of year was enought to get me to buy!

I actually picked up the Orvis Proguide stretch wading jacket a few weeks ago at A Sporting Lifestyle's moving sale,got it for a great price. Only had one left, got a large, which is a little smaller than I wanted it, but it is slightly longer than a normal large and will be fine with waders.

Bought the Chameleon jacket last year, and it kinda sucked.
The neck (with the bug net that zips over one's face onto the hood)
is too saggy and, even with the hood up in a light rain, water tends to quickly make its way down one's neck and back. I liked the pocket set up when the jacket is in 'butt-pack' mode, but the butt-pack mode also sucked because it looked like i was wearing a dork bomb tied around around my waist. Would like to get rid of the thing, honestly. Which is why i now use the Cloudveil Schoeller windstopping jacket. Awesome! Pulled it off the sale rack at a Spyder outlet. 200$ jacket for 50 bucks.

Back