Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Wading boots

Been looking into a new pair of wading boots and i am just wondering what boots some of you find to work well and are priced decently. I have been wearing a pair of cabelas ultra light wading boots this past year and like every paur of wading boots i have ever owned they dont make it from year to year without falling apart. I am on the stream 150+ days a year and i decided to go for something that will last and be comfortable without breaking the bank. Anyone ever try the simms blackfoot boots i see they have a vibram sole and i have always used felt. Do the vibram soles work as well as felt i dont want to be going for the big dip everytime i go out.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 15:57

Re: Wading boots

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I loved my Cabela's ultralights too, but I had the same problem, they fell apart in under a year. Personally I like anything made by Chota, which includes some Cabelas branded boots. They're very comfortable and seem to last me a few seasons at least.

On leather wading boots, a little leather conditioner goes a LONG ways in the longevity fight. The stuff I use is made from beeswax I think.

Can't say on the Vibrams. The people I've seen wear them like them, and I have to say they seem to get around just fine. I haven't made the plunge myself yet, can't bring myself to replace a perfectly good pair of boots, and the super sticky rubber varieties are just starting to make it on boots in my price range.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 16:14

From Lewistown
Chota Citico Creek, can't beat up.

$90 with felt and studs. Super comfortable and my last pair lasted me 5 years. They are still wearable, but the padding is gone adn the leather is starting to crack. So I bought another pair.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 16:41

From Fayette Co, Pa
I got a pair of the simms freestone wading boots with the vibram sole, and was skeptical at first because I had only used felt before. They were only 130 and they seem like they should hold up very well. I have not had any issues with the vibram sole yet, stick well to rocks and work better in mud than felts do too.

My friend has a pair of orvis boots with the vibram sole also and he loves them.

I would definitely recommend any wading boot that comes with the vibram soles, can't beat them.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 17:32

From SEPA
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
I loved my Cabela's ultralights too, but I had the same problem, they fell apart in under a year.

Split along the edges where the front toe piece stitches to the side? Chalk up another victim.

I assumed its because I wore mine hard over the last three years, including some saltwater tours and spending last summer on top of my car every day.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 18:10

I really like how light the cabelas ultra lights are and the felts grip well but i wore the felts off my last pair in 6 months. I am also concerned that if i buy another pair of boots with felt soles that PA will ban them before i get my money out of them. I am looking for a pair that drain well to. I may consider the simms blackfoot boots and stud them. If anyone else has any good ideas or coments about there wading boots i would like to hear them. Thanks to all who reply.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 22:14

Korker guide boots. I love the lacing system no more tying. There is interchangeable bottoms for whatever you want. Had the first pair and ripped the bottom off on 4 th outing company couldn't believe it sent brand new pair and have had mo problems since. The empty out quick and are super light. Haven't ha the new pair long so can't tell you if they'll last years bit a biddy has had the same pair 2 years no problems.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 6:21

From Enola, PA
I bought a pair of Cloudveil's 2 years ago at the Somerset show for approx $60. Love them, light weight and comfortable. They are felt. When i do go to rubber soles the Cloudveil's will be close to the top when I start looking.

Posted on: 2011/3/30 9:23

uhh...nevermind

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

Crotalus wrote:
I bought a pair of Cloudveil's 2 years ago at the Somerset show for approx $60. Love them, light weight and comfortable. They are felt. When i do go to rubber soles the Cloudveil's will be close to the top when I start looking.

Good luck on that, Joe. Cloudveil got out of the fishing gear business.

Posted on: 2011/3/30 19:59

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
Anyone have experience with the Grey's Platinum wading boot?

http://www.wyomingflyfishing.com/Grey ... ding-Boots-P2253C313.aspx

My Patagonia boots are coming apart and I'm in the market too.

Posted on: 2011/3/30 20:12

From Enola, PA
Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Quote:

Crotalus wrote:

Good luck on that, Joe. Cloudveil got out of the fishing gear business.

Crap! Didnt know that. Might have to start looking for a pair of left over 8x Grippy boots.

Posted on: 2011/3/31 7:25

uhh...nevermind

From harlansburg
love my llbean gray ghosts!

Posted on: 2011/3/31 8:14

From florida
Quote:

albatross wrote:
Anyone have experience with the Grey's Platinum wading boot?

http://www.wyomingflyfishing.com/Grey ... ding-Boots-P2253C313.aspx

My Patagonia boots are coming apart and I'm in the market too.

I think Maurice bought a pair during the Jam? Said they were good.Latest Cabelas sale catalog had Simms Freestones for $109.

Posted on: 2011/3/31 9:11

From Enola, PA
Well thanks to this thread I got to thinking about that $100 Cabelas card that has been in my wallet since January. I might have to take the plunge into the rubber sole world.

Looking at the Simms Riversheds and the Korkers Chrome/Metalhead.

Posted on: 2011/3/31 10:40

uhh...nevermind

From Gamehendge
You guys might think im crazy but i have a pair of 20 dollar proline boots and they are awsome!! i have had them for 3 years now and the only thing i have had to replace is the laces. I spend a good bit of time on the water, and they have yet to fail me. I cant justify spending a ass load of money on something you can get for well under 100 dollars. Just my .02$

Posted on: 2011/3/31 17:38

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com