Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Wading boots

From Hanover, PA
Korkers!

Posted on: 2011/5/18 13:32

Well I would have said lorises guide boots and think I even may have on another post..... BUT.... I sent mine back I'm 2 weeks ago and have yet to hear back from them! This is the 2nd time in 8 months I've sent them back. Love how light they are how quick they drain and the boa lace system... BUT.. First return I was in Erie in the fall trying to land a chromed up male and the entire runner sole of the boot came off! I was standing on a rock fish ran I moved, slipped and that was it. Couple weeks ago the mesh that provides the fast drainage simply came out. They were great on first issue but the jury is still out on this one. Guy I tt said they charge for damage caused by misuse, which sent me into an email frenzy about quality -vs- price etc. IMO when you pay that kinda money you should be able to keep these things for years. I'll let you know what hapens.

Posted on: 2011/5/21 6:55

Update. I just received an email from korkers and seems they have completely replaced the boots again! No charge!

Posted on: 2011/5/26 6:28

Didn't read all the other posts but I just got L.L. Bean River Treads with studs and theyre great.

My dad got me 2 sizes too big (whoops) and I fished with them for about a month and spent alot of time on my butt. Took them back, and they gave me 11's, no questions asked. Fished all day yesterday with 0 problems. Theyre a fantastic boot and very well built.

Posted on: 2011/5/26 7:55

Ty
Keystone Fly Fishing

From chester ct
If you're talking felt, Chotas have been the best I've had among the dozens of Orvises (pretty good), Cabelas, Simms and random boots I've worn out over the decades. Furthermore, Chotas are the most comfortable I've had, so much so that they contribute to wading safety.

I haven't dipped into the rubber/Vibram soles yet.

hp
les

Posted on: 2011/5/26 14:30

From Scranton
Ok, so im new to this whole thing and im currently looking for a pair of wading boots to replace the 4 year old pair of walmart boots ive been using over my waders. My main question is on studded soles. How or why do studs on the bottom help with traction? All i can imagine is slipping even easier on smooth or round river rocks.

Posted on: 2011/5/29 14:32

The studs help tremendously with grip. I dont have any fancy explanation other than the metal grips onto the rocks. They dont stick out super far like you may think so it's basically just extra grip for the really slippery rocks

Posted on: 2011/5/29 17:47

Ty
Keystone Fly Fishing

From Elizabethtown
I've had two pairs of Korkers that held up for years under heavy use the only problem with them is that they are constantly changing the design of the interchangeable soles and it can be difficult to find the right ones for your particular boots

Posted on: 2011/5/29 21:46

I had several pairs of Orvis rip at the toe seams. I think sinks may be the most durable as far as seems go. I will be switching to Korkers this yeas since they fixed the issues with the soles not seating correctly. Get back to you in a year or so and let you know how they do:)

Posted on: 2011/6/2 0:56

Update.

I kist received a brand new pair of corners (guide boots). No charge! This is the 2nd free replacement I've received. Not sure how happy I am with the longevity of the boots, but customers service and standing behind their product is 2nd to none.

Posted on: 2011/6/2 6:31

After reading through this thread and countless reviews I've narrowed my wading boot selection down to Weinbrenner felt with cleats and Chota STL rubber with cleats. Could anyone with some experience with these help me make the decision? The prices are close enough that it's not an issue.

I tend not to take any big fishing trips, so I stick to PA streams. Due to that, I feel like I can justify felt bottoms. Though, I'm 29 and do a lot of hiking in and out, going up steep, rocky banks. For that, maybe the rubber would be better.

My previous waders were Orvis bootfoot felts and were pretty good, but I slipped a ton on muddy shores, rocks, banks, etc. I even banged up my rod and reel a few times taking spills.

So, should I go with the classic style of the Weinbrenners (which are also discontinued, I believe) or the Chotas. These are Chota STL, but not STL Plus, I think. Does anyone know the difference between regular STLs and STL plus?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Posted on: 2011/6/8 10:03

From Dauphin PA
I'm on my third pair and my buddy is still using the Chota boots he go 6-7 years ago. That alone will have me looking at them once my current boots wear out. I don't think you can go wrong with Chotas and the price is fair!

Posted on: 2011/6/8 15:19

From Bozeman
Chota manufactures for Cabela's too. The cabelas branded boots that look like chotas are chotas. They even still have the chota branded instructions for stud installation. You can save a few bucks that way, which appeals to me since I rock a pair of didymo boots. The cheaper chota made cabelas boots are perfect.

Posted on: 2011/6/8 15:21

From Harrisburg
Dear beefheart,

While they aren't the lightest boots made the Weinbrenner Ultimate studded wading shoes are the finest, most supportive, and most ruggedly built wading shoes you will ever own.

If you are over the age of 30 you might not last as long as the boots! If you wear the soles out a shoemaker can replace them easily.

Madison River Fly Shop had them on clearance for $ 69.99 but them may all be gone now.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2011/6/8 18:14
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

I like my cabela's boots with studs and an aggressive sole. Can't complain about the quality or wear, and the price was great.

Posted on: 2011/6/8 20:02

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com