Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Wading boots?

From Luzerne County, PA
Last outing of last year my Frogg Toggs split the sole off the boot, I'm in the market for new boots, any suggestions? Would like to keep it under $100 and hopefully a boot that lasts more than 1 or 2 seasons.

Posted on: 3/27 6:28

Re: Wading boots?

From collegeville, pa
Simms Freestones are $99...I had an old pair a few years ago and they were tough. Getting the new version now with felt.

Posted on: 3/27 7:22

From South Lebanon Township, PA
FWIW, I’ve never gotten a pair of wading boots to last more than 2 seasons before the stitching blows out. I know they get wet and all that, and I’m climbing and flexing them a lot but I don’t get why they don’t hold up that well. For comparison sake, I have a pair of Columbia hiking boots that are 7 years old and get way more miles than my wading boots do, and the stitching is still perfect in them.

Posted on: 3/27 8:13

From Gettysburg
Quote:

Swattie87 wrote:
I know they get wet and all that, and I’m climbing and flexing them a lot but I don’t get why they don’t hold up that well. For comparison sake, I have a pair of Columbia hiking boots that are 7 years old and get way more miles than my wading boots do, and the stitching is still perfect in them.

I agree. It's been my experience that liberal use of Shoe Goo can help keep wading boots patched and allow maybe one additional season out of them.

Posted on: 3/27 8:18

From Gettysburg
Quote:

henrydavid wrote:
Last outing of last year my Frogg Toggs split the sole off the boot, I'm in the market for new boots, any suggestions? Would like to keep it under $100 and hopefully a boot that lasts more than 1 or 2 seasons.

The Cabelas Ultralights (there's another current thread on 'em) are a good price and I have had them hold up for 2-3 seasons.

Posted on: 3/27 8:19

From Lambertville
I've only used Orvis and always been happy with them but I never tried this model:

River Guard™ Clearwater® II Boot

Resized Image

They're on sale $69 (felt) - $89 (studded non felt).

Their River Guard™ Easy-On Brogues are on sale also but only small sizes are left.

Posted on: 3/27 10:25

From Clinton County, Pa.
In my experience with wading boots you get what you pay for. I went the cheap route once. The boots did'nt even last one season. Never again. I bought a pair of Simms "Guide" boots with Vibram soles and they lasted 5 full years. I just bought my second pair last spring and plan to get at least 4 more years out of them. IMO the best of the least expensive wading boots on the market are the Simms "Freestone" with felt soles. They are good quality. The sole is sewn on, not glued and they are a reasonable price. I just bought a pair at the Flyfishing show in Somerset NJ. so I would have a second set of boots.

Posted on: 3/27 11:35

From Bucks County
I have a pair of Weinbrenner Ultimate Wading Shoe. They have lasted me 8 years with moderate use each season. Best 130 dollars ever spent. I can't find them anymore. Nothing lasts forever :(

Posted on: 3/27 15:08

From Luzerne County, PA
Thanks for the replies, what I've heard from various sources is that most wading boots don't last more than a couple seasons. If you do any amount of bush wacking or scaling up and down creek and river banks your wading boots are going to take a beating.

I'm considering a pair or packable boots for warmer weather, hiking down to the spot in jeans and boots and changing into the waders streamside.

For the early spring I'm going to need warmer all around boots and I'm still pricing and tossing it around, trying to protect my first pair of Simms waders.

Posted on: 3/28 17:46

From Ohio
I would get the simms Feestone boots. I have a pair of Simms rivershed boots I've had for 5 years of tough use. They are about done, the soles are beginning to split at the toe and the rubber that goes around the lower part of the foot from the toe to heal is splitting where it comes together. I just bought a new pair of boots, but the old ones will be retained as a spare set.

Posted on: 3/28 18:02

From Erie, PA
Simms, toughest I have ever worn. Currently have the riversheds. got 3 years of a lot of days on them. Still going strong.

Posted on: 3/28 19:45

From Luzerne County, PA
Thanks again guys, hoping to buy these locally so I can get out next week. I've never used Felt boots before, will they grip the rocks on the Lehigh?

Posted on: 3/29 16:31

From Media, PA
I also have the Cabelas Ultralite boots. Pretty solid boot and the cleats will help a lot in the slime and alge. I think this is thier second season, but might be the third. Boots are holding up, but the cleats are ready for replacement.

Posted on: 4/5 11:17

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
My Simms guide boots are entering their third season and won't make it through. I should be replacing before I fall on my face. No tread left. I don't even fish that much.

But, thats as long as any other boots have ever made it for me. More expensive, though. Stitching is still good.

My next boots, I will go back to Chota. Mid-priced but have been comfortable for me and lasts as long as anything.

Felt grips rock better than rubber. Studded felt better than studded rubber. But studded always beats non-studded. And thats on rock. Rubber wins on soil, mud, or snow, plus dries quicker for invasive.

Posted on: 4/5 13:04

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Quote:

henrydavid wrote:
Thanks again guys, hoping to buy these locally so I can get out next week. I've never used Felt boots before, will they grip the rocks on the Lehigh?

Felt will grip the Lehigh rocks. Especially with studs. Check out the Chota Abrahms or the Stl's.

I am currently trying to decide on a pair of felts as I have to send my Simms in for repairs\replacements. Well I don't have a back up pair so I don't want to send them in until I buy another cheap pair.

Posted on: 4/5 13:11

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com