Wading Staffs - A Comparison

jdaddy

jdaddy

I recently had the opportunity to compare three commonly available wading staffs side by side. The 3/4" Folstaf, the Spring Brook and the Zephr.

The Folstaf is $99.99 at Cabelas, item IK-311576. It has a cork handle that floats the staff should it become detached from your possession. The model tested has a regular cork end on the handle. There is an option for a compass or camera mount. These options do not appear to be able to be retro installed. It has a long nylon lanyard which attaches to your wading belt so you can let it drag behind you in the river when not in use and when not collapsed. The Folstaf has a leather carrying pouch the is open on the sides to drain water. I would be concerned about long term exposure of leather to water. Folds up to 9" long and opens and closes easily. This staff is made in the USA. It has a life time warranty for defective materials and workmanship subject to a mandatory $20 charge for return shipping. The interconnecting double bungee cord inside the staff is heavy and durable. It quickly assembles the staff. The staff itself is composed of aluminum sections and is very sturdy. When filled with water the cork handle in fact floats the staff.

The Zephr is $39.99 at Cabelas, item IK-317967. The maker/model is not identified on the website, however it is identified on the actual product. It has a cork handle that floats the staff should it become detached from your possession. It has a retractable coiled plastic bungee which attaches to your wading belt so you can let it drag behind you in the river when not in use and when not collapsed. The Zephr has a heavy duty nylon pouch that has metal grommets on the bottom for drainage. The staff folds up to 11" long and opens and closes easily. The staff is made in Pakistan. Warranty is not expressed on the packaging and online searches reveal nothing about the manufacturer. I would imagine you are left to your own skills in any needed repair. The interconnecting double bungee cord inside the staff is heavy and durable (though the Folstaf may be slightly thicker). It quickly assembles the staff. The staff itself is composed of aluminum sections and is very sturdy. When filled with water the cork handle in fact floats the staff.

The Spring Brook is $90 at Cabelas, item IK-317374 (note Bass Pro sells a similar unit for $60) . It has a foam grip that is supposed to float the staff. This will be addressed later. The lanyard attaches to the end of the staff. The carrying case is a lighter grade nylon and seems small and tight. The staff breaks down into fewer pieces, thus is 15" when collapsed and much bulkier to carry. The staff is made of graphite versus aluminum in the Zephr and Folstaf. The staff is generally lighter than the other two units, but it use the weight differences are hardly noticeable. What is noticeable is a major deflection along the length of the staff when applying pressure. It does not collapse and I don't think it was in jeopardy of breaking, but why deal with this deflection when the other units do not have this? Additionally the staffs foam handle appears to be cheaper, more open cell foam and likely to fail over time. The foam handle has a problem supporting the staff once the staff has been submerged in water for a period of time and begins to fill up. This could result in the staff dangling at your feet versus flowing behind you, plus it causes undue pull on your wading belt. It appears that the Springbrook is made in Canada though not indicated on the staff. The Springbrook website indicates that they are a manufacturer, importer, exporter and distributor. They do limited production of products and are exclusive distributors of Fishpond, etc in Canada. They also appear to be heavily involved in TFO. Given the lack of focus of the company, the marginal quality of the product and the superior products on the market, I cannot see a reason to purchase this staff.

Given this side by side comparison, the Zephr is the clear winner. It is very comparable to the Folstaf, yet costs 60% less. When factoring in the $20 service charge from Folstaf, one could buy three Zephr's thus the warranty issue is moot in my opinion. Frankly, I don't see where either of these staffs are going to fail, other than the possibility of the bungee cord coming loose inside the staff walls.

There are three other real contenders in the market. First is a tree limb found on the side of the river. This is of course free. It would be handy to carry some rope for lashing the stick to you. Wood floats so that is a win. Durability is not an issue as it is easily replaced. Deflection will depend greatly upon the diameter of the stick. Sticks in comparable diameter of the above wading staffs would likely have too much deflection for major stream crossings. The second is the JayL paint roller extension stick. This can be had for around $5 at your local hardware store. It obviously is not collapsible. It does offer the benefit of being kiln dried, standard diameter throughout and has a handy dandy metal end. It is a bit more of a pain to carry through heavy cover than the collapsible staffs. Another potentially viable option is the Simms wading staff. It is around $130. There has been a recent recall on the product due to its not engaging properly and causing fall potential. I am not a big fan of that. Based upon reviews it does not appear to assemble as quickly and easily as the other staffs. If I get to try one out in a store or in the field I will further review the Simms.

Once on Penns, I picked out a place to fish the GD's and kinda campout awhile. During this time, got to talking to an older fly angler while we waited for the big bug.

Noticed the home made wading staff he made out of a plastic shaft (maybe broom mop or such)- I cant remember all the details but the things I recall he commenting on was it was durable, light weight and it floated. He wasnt a brush beating type but looked like a smart design.

Not a wading staff guy- yet. Just thought I would throw this out there for ideas.

I use one on penns and sometimes on the slippery rock if the water is high. I'm too cheap to spend 90 bucks on one though. I use a 10 dollar walmart collapsable hiking pole with a carabiner to hook it to my belt.
works for me.

thanks for posting this jdaddy. I've been looking for one and I think I'm going to pick up the $40 one.

Paint roller extension + old neoprene + wire + old fly line.

Wrap neoprene around the end and texture/secure it with the wire. Tie old fly line to it just under the handle. Tie a perfection loop in the other end of the fly line and loop it to your wading belt. Less than 5 bucks, and going strong for two years.

I included your paint roller extension in my reviews, however I have never actually saw said roller extension because you always forget it because it is cumbersome and you never carry it.

jdaddy wrote:
I included your paint roller extension in my reviews, however I have never actually saw said roller extension because you always forget it because it is cumbersome and you never carry it.

I saw that you included it, but I elaborated on how I made it.

We have never fished a stream that merited a wading staff, other than the salmon. If you recall, I pissed and moaned about forgetting it. It was wedged behind the seats in my jeep, and I completely forgot to grab it.

It's obviously more cumbersome than a collapsible, but it also cost me about $5. Much like my tying vise, I can't justify a costly upgrade.

When I am fishing streamers or czech nymphing, it's basically required.

I know, just busting your stones. I'd still have my stick in the garage and would have stuck with it had I not ran across that great deal I told you about.

I used to think that staffs were only needed as agility is lost but I have pretty darn good balance and find that they are really helpful in raging rivers.

Yep. Another great time to have one is when penns is chocolate milk during drake season. The fish were rising through the mud in the broadwaters, but you can't fish from the bank. It's about belly deep 2 feet from shore. You couldn't pay me to walk out there at night without a staff.

The beauty of a collapsible staff is the convience and ease of carrying it means you'll have it at that surprise moment when you need it.

I carry mine about 90% of the time, even when I'm fishing the exact same beat and I know every rock; I might have to beat back a hooligan and the carbide tipped Folstaff seems like a reasonable first line of offence.

I bought a Folstaff over the Simms because I figured my safety was worth it... At this stage, I'd probably spring for the cheaper one you posted, but wht the hell, I've got it now so I'll encourage everyone to overpsend like me.

The wooden staff floats behind me as I wade. I grab the rope/fly line and flip it into my hand in a matter of seconds.

The only drawback is that I needed to learn better line control to prevent getting wrapped up in it. I needed to learn that anyway.

As someone that stubbornly clings to kitschy traditionalism in almost every other context, you should appreciate my ghetto staff!

jayL wrote:
As someone that stubbornly clings to kitschy traditionalism in almost every other context, you should appreciate my ghetto staff!

I 100% support it based on my love of simplicity, cheapness, making due and general ability to not require excess raw materials in a consumer-centric society.

Although, to be honest, I'd probably have gone about trying to craft my own shilelagh by fire-hardening and then varnishing a yew branch, or whatever it is they use. :)

But, I also know that I'd never, ever, carry the damned thing if it were me.

I bought a "Hodgeman" wading staff when I started flyfishing and the second time I used it I lost the tip. It's stuck in Susky somewhere down around Halifax. I had a friend machine a new tip for me. I very seldom use it most of the time it stays in my gear bag. Maybe when I get older I might use it more often.

I might have to beat back a hooligan and the carbide tipped Folstaff seems like a reasonable first line of offence.

For what its' worth the $40 staff has the same carbide point on the end. Folstaff looks like theirs may be replaceable with a small screw on the bottom whereas the $40 unit does not have said screw.

For cheap, how about a yard sale ski pole? Nothing like recycling stuff.

hp
les

About 3 or 4 years ago i had knee surgery during the winter; when spring came i needed something for added support. this was the first time i ever used a wading staff, all other years I'd pick up a branch along the way if I needed something.

I bought a William Joseph from Jonas and the first time I used it i was climbing down a bank on Penns and the metal cracked near a joint after it get stuck in the mud. Took it back to jonas and upgraded to a Folstaf...been happy with it ever since.

It stays in the holder until i want to use it, and if the stream warrants it, i'll have it along since its like I'm not even carrying it. Not a single regret for buying it.

As far as price, hell, i could blow $90 having dinner and drinks in a night, then feel like crap the next day.

John

this might sounds stupid, but i acutally picked one sturdy tree branch from the woods, polished it, duck taped the top as handle. This stick has been fishing with me in the past two seasons, and is still good other than the chew mark from my short hair pointers.

Been using the 4 segment PROSTAFF from FM mfg for 36bucks.
Great wading staff, light and unencumbering. Only drawback was the crutchy-lookin' rubber nub at the terminus of the staff didn't last long, and the aluminum shaft poked through it. Five minutes and some gorilla glue was all it needed & been good to go ever since.

Hi guys
I'm a old guy and other than my sunglasses my staff is a must. I have 2 Folstaff one I bought, one I found in the Little J .
Then I have one that was made for me as a gift (Solid Wood ) its to heavy and it floats which I don"t care for. After 55 yrs of fly fishing I settled on a home made 5/8 aluminum tube from Lowe's, I drill holes in the bottom half so it fills with water when I'm wading and drains when I get out of the water. On the bottom I use a rubber stool bottom plug from the hardware store.
I noticed in your posts that the noise factor was not mentioned (My dislike for Folstaff) that tapping noise on the bottom is a dead give-a way for pressured fish. I know very good fisherman that will not wear studded wadding boots in the l j. IMHO.

Best

JAD
DISCLAIMER: One should not find this reply to be overly authoritative, highly assertive or more than a little offensive as the following statements are supported by the depth of time, research and extensive personal experience necessary for a well-reasoned, non confrontational discussion on the topic. Do not read the following statements if you are omnipotent or find yourself sensitive to the opinions of others.

Back