Wading Boots

F

fisherboy3

I currently have the Simms G4 boa boots, but it seems the threads for the studs inside the boot have stripped and no longer hold, even with loctite. Any recommendations for new boots besides simms? How are orvis and patagonia boots? I am looking for a boot that will keep the studs in, tired of losing studs especially when simms charges $30 a set. How are those aluminum bars patagonia makes?

Thanks

Kev

Korkers devils canyon. The souls are removable which is great if you fish areas where you can't use felt. They offer many options on soles for all sorts of different situations. If you fish in anything that is nasty and slippery(like the north branch of the Potomac) get the studded rubber souls, they grip like you won't believe on round rocks. Not the most durable sole they sell but the traction is worth the cost.

I have heard the korkers soles fall off thougg?

I just got back from a week long trip to Montana, which included fishing the 2 slickest rivers I know, the upper Madison and the Gallitan in the canyon. Prior to the trip I threw out my old Patagonia studded felt boots and was determined to commit to the rubber sole boots. I had a pair of Patagonia rock grip boots in the closet with the aluminum bars. My first day in the canyon was miserable, fell several times and was scared to wade much deeper than calf high due to the horrible traction on slippery boulders. I was so regretting my decision to toss the felt studs. Headed over to the Slide a few days later after fishing some easier to wade rivers and my troubles got even worse on the Madison. Desperate, I started discussing my troubles with John and Kelly at the Slide Inn and they both praised the Patagonia foot tractor boots. These are 2 guys that I trust not to blow smoke up my arse just to make a sale, so I purchased a pair based on the recommendation. All I have to say after fishing with them for 3 days is WOW, These boots are so good they are dangerous! They grip slimy boulders so good that I often found myself getting into situations that I had no business being in because I was so confident in the grip these boots provide. I never thought I would say this, but these boots are better than studded felt on slimy rocks. They are pricey, but with the new danner/Patagonia boot coming out shop owners are probably willing to cut you a good deal on a pair to get them out of the shop.

Chota Caney Fork boots are a "best seller" at Feather-Craft. I don't own them, but my good friend Salvelinus seems to like them, and he posted how good their customer service is.

On another note, I wouldn't wear boots that didn't have soul.

fisherboy3 wrote:
I have heard the korkers soles fall off thougg?

I had heard that about the first line of boots they made but that was a long time ago. Never had an issue with soles coming off and I've had quite a few of their boots throughout the years.

Gotcha okay. Gonna be a tough decision.

timbow wrote:
I just got back from a week long trip to Montana, which included fishing the 2 slickest rivers I know, the upper Madison and the Gallitan in the canyon. Prior to the trip I threw out my old Patagonia studded felt boots and was determined to commit to the rubber sole boots. I had a pair of Patagonia rock grip boots in the closet with the aluminum bars. My first day in the canyon was miserable, fell several times and was scared to wade much deeper than calf high due to the horrible traction on slippery boulders. I was so regretting my decision to toss the felt studs. Headed over to the Slide a few days later after fishing some easier to wade rivers and my troubles got even worse on the Madison. Desperate, I started discussing my troubles with John and Kelly at the Slide Inn and they both praised the Patagonia foot tractor boots. These are 2 guys that I trust not to blow smoke up my arse just to make a sale, so I purchased a pair based on the recommendation. All I have to say after fishing with them for 3 days is WOW, These boots are so good they are dangerous! They grip slimy boulders so good that I often found myself getting into situations that I had no business being in because I was so confident in the grip these boots provide. I never thought I would say this, but these boots are better than studded felt on slimy rocks. They are pricey, but with the new danner/Patagonia boot coming out shop owners are probably willing to cut you a good deal on a pair to get them out of the shop.

I've been interested in these boots since they came out.
But haven't heard any reviews - from this site anyway - about them. (till now)
And wasn't ready to shell out $300 for them.

So, if they're being phased out, I should probably be able to get them this fall on closeout?

Ive been leaning towards the foot tractor. Ive heard great things except on slate rocks. A few streams i fish have big slate rocks and dont want to go skating down them.

Check out the studded light boots from LL bean with the Boa lace system. I like them better than my Chotsas witch I love and my Simm's Guides.

I've owned the LL Bean West Branch boots with studded Aqua Stealth rubber outsoles for 7 years. Actually, I went through 2 pairs so far with free replacements.

The boots are comfortable and the traction is great on land and in water. I thoroughly tested them over the years on the Lehigh, Panns, and many other streams, including long walk-in situations. I will get the same boots when these die.

dryflyguy wrote:
timbow wrote:

I've been interested in these boots since they came out.
But haven't heard any reviews - from this site anyway - about them. (till now)
And wasn't ready to shell out $300 for them.

So, if they're being phased out, I should probably be able to get them this fall on closeout?

I was told that the Danner boots won't be available until Spring 2019.

I've been using Korkers for the last year and haven't had any problems with the soles falling off. Korkers DO stand behind their products and their warranty process is great! Much better then my experience with Simms! I had the Korker K5 Bombers but had the one boot lace holder rip out. All I had to do was send a photo. They replaced them with the Raptrs and I must say they are by far the best boot I have ever worn! So impressed with them!

I had the Simms G3 boots before this and had the same issue with the studs falling out. Sent them back twice under warranty and told them to keep them after the second time. The red guts that were supposed to anchor the studs were ripping right out with them. Any screw in system for the most part just cannot hold up to the torque put on them. My second pair of Simms G3 boots had the rubber soles ripping and even had a shoe lace break all within a month and a half of use. I bet between the 2 pairs of Simms I lost probably 50+ studs/cleats. I'm not a fan of Simms after how they handled my warranty claim either. I really just wanted my money back but they refused and just gave me credit.

Unfortunately I'm on my second pair of Chotas in two seasons, the first ones fell apart within months, these ones the sole is falling completely off, and the stud holes are bored out completely (soft rubber = studs fall out). Never buying chota boots again

I should mention I fish often, these boots werent just used twice and fell apart, more like about once or twice a week, I was still hoping for them to last longer than a half season, and barely a season respectively

Kev,

Have you tried anything else besides locktite? Try filling one hole with shoe goo and insert the the stud. Let it dry for 2 days or so and see if that helps.

Fly-Swatter wrote:
I've owned the LL Bean West Branch boots with studded Aqua Stealth rubber outsoles for 7 years. Actually, I went through 2 pairs so far with free replacements.

The boots are comfortable and the traction is great on land and in water. I thoroughly tested them over the years on the Lehigh, Panns, and many other streams, including long walk-in situations. I will get the same boots when these die.

The "free replacements" is over now, bean had to change their policy.

Andy,

I have not tried angthing else. But I also do have the red guts falling out of the stud spots as well, basically showing they’re shot. Plus i dont want to spend another $30 on a set of studs. That would be the third set Ive bought for these boots in less than two years. Just want something else a little more reliable.

Kev

I've had a couple pairs of G3 felts...some studded, some not. They have lasted okay but not nearly as long as I'd hoped. I know several guys with Chota STL boots. I've gone through 2 pairs of G3's (or more) before they had ANY issue with that boot. It will be my next pair.

ryansheehan wrote:
Fly-Swatter wrote:

The "free replacements" is over now, bean had to change their policy.
Not necessarily, it's basically discretionary at this point. The King of Prussia store happily replaced a pair of waders for me a couple months ago, no questions asked. I think the new "no replacement" policy isn't for legit buyers but really just for people who take advantage (ie, craigslist buyers who ry to make returns, or folks who want to return something that's 15 years old and worn out and "defective"). I wouldn't hesitate to buy stuff from Bean.

My korkers finally gave out first it was the back strap on the interchangable soles had one break then the side near the toe blew out but still cant complain to much lasted about 5 years with a lot of walking and 0 problems with the boa lace system found it very nice to put on and take off.

Back