HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Wading Boots

From Williamsport, PA
Quote:

Sylvaneous wrote:
That Vibram wading sole is not good. They keep pimping it, though, and they keep selling it because, hey, SIMMS, right? The only rubber wading sole that I found acceptable is the Aqua Stealth sole sold on the LL Bean boots.

Sylvaneous

I 100% agree that Vibram wading sole is not good! When I lost the screw in studs I felt like I had the worst grip ever. I never did so much slipping around. That rubber sole design just didn't seem to grip at all and I've had several pairs of rubber sole boots (always had the studs built into them however). I see they use different designed soles for their other boots. I just thought over all the G3 boots were a poor design at least for me. They also are an extremely heavy boot compared to what's on the market.

Posted on: 1/17 8:59

From Philadelphia/Andorra
My favorite days fishing also involve a good hike. I wear the Korker K-5's with the vibram hiking soles (studded and not). I also swap out the insoles for Superfeet carbon insoles. Sierra trading has most sizes of the K-5's for $120 currently. Hiking soles are extra ($40-50).

Posted on: 1/18 5:00

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

bigjohn58 wrote:
Quote:

Sylvaneous wrote:
That Vibram wading sole is not good. They keep pimping it, though, and they keep selling it because, hey, SIMMS, right? The only rubber wading sole that I found acceptable is the Aqua Stealth sole sold on the LL Bean boots.

Sylvaneous

I 100% agree that Vibram wading sole is not good! When I lost the screw in studs I felt like I had the worst grip ever. I never did so much slipping around. That rubber sole design just didn't seem to grip at all and I've had several pairs of rubber sole boots (always had the studs built into them however). I see they use different designed soles for their other boots. I just thought over all the G3 boots were a poor design at least for me. They also are an extremely heavy boot compared to what's on the market.

It is not the Vibram rubber or tread that is the problem. Virtualy all rubber sucks for traction underwater. The problem is that for the longest time they've applied this sole over a layer of fairly soft, almost foam rubber material. The Virbam rubber layer is far too thin to hold the screws effectively and the material underneath is not up to the task either.

Other brands have addressed stud retention much better. Chota's for instance, have hard plastic mounts in the sole to which you can add your studs. I lost only a couple studs in the 3 years that I wore chota's

Supposedly Simms has updated their soles to include a hard plate which provides a better hold on the studs... ...but I'm probably going to wait and see what others have to say about the new models of boots before I purchase another pair of Simms boots.

Disclaimer: I love Simms stuff for the most part. Their waders are still the best out their IMO and much of their clothing is good. However, I have had both good and bad experiences with their wading footwear. I wish they still sold the old L2 boots with built in studs.

Posted on: 1/18 10:55

being new to all of this, what sole type is best for the freestone streams in SW PA?

Thanks!

Posted on: 1/21 21:13

I'm not sure about SW PA, but felt will usually give you the best grip anywhere. I'm pretty sure it will hold true for SW PA as well.

When stream bottoms get slimier as the summer goes on, studs may be needed as well.

Posted on: 1/21 22:30

From Burke VA
If you cross over into Maryland from sw PA felt is a no go. There is a substantial fine if you're caught with felt boots.

Posted on: 1/21 22:42

appreciate the replies.

so, is felt "wrong" environmentally here, even though it's legal?

is there a way to disinfect felt between streams?

thanks!

Posted on: 1/22 6:42

From Williamsport, PA
Felt is completely legal in PA...I would say 99% of the time I am fishing I'm basically in the same watershed so spreading evasive species is not really a risk. If you travel a lot just make sure you clean them appropriately. I believe a lot use bleach on the felts.

Posted on: 1/22 8:36

appreciate the replies!

Posted on: 1/22 18:55

From Burke VA
Maryland over reacted with the felt ban. I would wear them without hesitation.

Posted on: 1/22 19:01

From Gettysburg
Quote:

coyote wrote:

so, is felt "wrong" environmentally here, even though it's legal?

is there a way to disinfect felt between streams?

The issue of whether felt is bad for the environment has been discussed quite a bit here. Attitudes have changed somewhat on this nationally. A decade ago, felt soles came to be vilified because an invasive algae called didymo (or "rock snot") was turning up in a lot of streams and it was thought that wet felt soles being worn by fishermen was the likely explanation for how this didymo was spreading. Obviously, boot felt is thick and dense and takes a long time to dry, sometimes days or weeks if the boots are in a damp place or weather. At least two states, MD and VT, banned felt soles.

In the last few years, however, the consensus has been that felt soles are not really the problem and that didymo may already have been present in these streams. VT lifted their ban on felt. Some folks, like Ryan above, feel that MD over-reacted too.

I'm a fan of felt soles and feel that its stream gripping and safety aspects are excellent. I do try to clean my boots after I leave a stream known to have didymo or other issues (such as the mud snails in Spring Creek). I do this by putting my boots in a basin of water in the trunk of my car that has bleach mixed in. If you let your felts dry thoroughly in the sun, this will do the trick too.

Posted on: 1/22 20:47

From Burke VA
With the current information it appears didymo has been there all along.
Why they haven't reversed the law yet, well that's anyone's guess. I guess you could make an argument for preventing the introduction of future invasive species.

Posted on: 1/22 21:19

From WV
I'm a mess with wading boots. I walk an insane amount of mileage and I just wear down my boots to the point that I never get more than a year out of any of them. The only boot that I have found that doesn't break down for me are Simms Freestones. They are heavy but well made and don't give out at the seams. I have collapsed arches and have blown out every other boot I have tried except the Freestones. I had a pair of Korkers KGBs they literally lasted about 4 trips before they were blown out and I had to get my money back. I even tried higher end Simms Vapors and blew them out quickly. I'm probably going to get another pair of Freestones but like many I am sick of the Vibram soles. They add no traction and wear out way to fast, its basically a hiking boot until you add studs. But last years' pair of Freestones I kept losing my studs (Kold Kutters) the first day I put them in, I had to turn to sheet metal screws that were wide enough to grab a hold, but they rusted and wore down so fast I was changing them every two trips.

I'll never understand why they don't try a tread such as something you would see on tires of an off road vehicle.

Posted on: 1/23 9:55

From Morgantown, PA
Felt went from being only for spincasters, back to the new boo. All in one thread!

Posted on: 1/23 13:47

Any more links for close outs or sales?

Posted on: 1/24 11:09

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Should curling be an Olympic sport?
Yes 84% (43)
No 15% (8)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2018/2/19 12:33
6 Comments

Copyright 2018 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com