Wading Boots 2.0 (That aren't Korkers, please!)

Nymph-wristed

Nymph-wristed

I didn't want to hijack a previous post about wading boots, but I was curious about how much the Korkers lovers fish a year because I was very disappointed with durability of the soles, especially. My local shop stopped carrying them for that issue too, and the last pair I had was in the sale pages on LL Bean, which usually means they got many, many returns and are not carrying them anymore.

If price was not an option, and you fished 100+ days a year, what would you guys own for durability + comfort?

I did fish 100+ days last year, and mostly wore Korkers. No problem with them at all.

I use Simms my "travel" boots (for fishing other streams than Gunpowder Falls, which is my home stream and didymo problems) and they last pretty well.

The only boots I've used that don't wear well are Chota.

I’ve worn Korkers for atleast 70 days since I bought them. I have the Buckskin model, with rubber soles, felt and studded felt. I’ve had no issues.

A few a things I've learned about burning through wading boots for many years.

1. All streams are not created equal. One day on the savage river=ten on the yellow breeches. The torque and impact that the slick round rocks put on the sole and toe box can tear them apart quickly, especially studs. When folks talk about number of days on the river a boot might last you are missing some important information.

2. Everyone's shape, gate and pressure points in their foot vary greatly. I have a buddy with the same size foot as me. We both purchased a pair of orvis boots(a number of years ago) on the same day. I tore a seam on the boot in two trips, orvis replaced them and it happened again three trips later. His lasted over two years and countless all day trips to some treacherous rivers. Those were the most durable boots he's ever worn, me not so much. We were fishing the same water together, for the same amount of time.

3. There are trade offs when it comes to durability. In my experience the heavier, stiffer boots last longer but are a little less mobile. The lighter more flexible boots tend to get beat up quicker. When selecting a boot know what style of wader you are and what kind of streams you mostly fish. Almost all the boot companies I have worn have heavier and lighter models. To just compare simms, korkers, chota, etc without taking into account the model is like comparing a mustang to a tacoma, it doesn't make sense.

My concern with Korkers is not with boots themselves but the soles wearing out at 40 or 50 bucks a pop. An innovative idea, sure, but gluing different soles to the same orange plastic base from what I have experienced. I have used the brand for jetty jumping for years and years, and my original Korkers that I can tie over a boot are still working a decade or more, but this boot design is not great, at least for me. Looking for recommendations of comfortable, durable boots. I have owned some, so I know they exist!

ryansheehan wrote:
A few a things I've learned about burning through wading boots for many years.

1. All streams are not created equal. One day on the savage river=ten on the yellow breeches. The torque and impact that the slick round rocks put on the sole and toe box can tear them apart quickly, especially studs. When folks talk about number of days on the river a boot might last you are missing some important information.

2. Everyone's shape, gate and pressure points in their foot vary greatly. I have a buddy with the same size foot as me. We both purchased a pair of orvis boots(a number of years ago) on the same day. I tore a seam on the boot in two trips, orvis replaced them and it happened again three trips later. His lasted over two years and countless all day trips to some treacherous rivers. Those were the most durable boots he's ever worn, me not so much. We were fishing the same water together, for the same amount of time.

3. There are trade offs when it comes to durability. In my experience the heavier, stiffer boots last longer but are a little less mobile. The lighter more flexible boots tend to get beat up quicker. When selecting a boot know what style of wader you are and what kind of streams you mostly fish. Almost all the boot companies I have worn have heavier and lighter models. To just compare simms, korkers, chota, etc without taking into account the model is like comparing a mustang to a tacoma, it doesn't make sense.

Good point on number 3!

I've had good luck with Korkers.

This is including a pair of the older version that I got used from a fellow board member. This was the version with velcro sole connections rather than the current rubber and button. I beat the crap out of equipment and wade tough waters along with beaches and jetties. I did glue a new layer of felt on the removable soles....Think I had that pair for about five years. I patched 'em with Shoegoo and screws and finally had to replace them about a year ago as the removable soles no longer stayed in place.

At that time I bought some new Korkers (I think it's the Buckskin - has laces not boa) and am very pleased so far. The new sole system seems much stronger. I doubt I'll buy an entire new set of soles when the felt wears out but will instead probably just glue new felts on to the old ones, if I can still find fresh felts.

FWIW I should, once again, point out my usual disclaimer when I'm offering my opinion on gear: I have a high tolerance for gear variation and I'm not picky about details and the finer qualities of rods, reels, and wading shoes. Minor issues that I don't notice would likely draw notice from other anglers who are more particular or choosy.

I bought a pair of Korkers for my nephew who can ruin anything in short order and they are still going strong.

As for me, I use Chota STL's and they hold up well for me.

To be honest, we are all asking a lot out of footwear that is expected to get repeatedly soaked and dried out and in the meantime, have the crap kicked out of it many times a year.

I bought a pair of Patagonia lightweight wading boots, which I've used for the past two seasons. They are the most comfortable wading boots I've ever owned. And have no real signs of wear so far.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again

So far my Korkers K-5 Bombers are holding up 10x longer then my Simms G3 lug soles. I went through 2 pairs of Simms G3s in a month and a half each. The second pair the soles were literally tearing on the sides and the shoe lace even broke. Probably lost 20 studs on each pair. I have yet to have an issue with my Korkers. To be honest though I don't think I have had a pair of boots make it through an entire season without showing some sign of failure. I was returning a pair of Orvis wading boots every year almost under warranty. They finally changed designs to the point where I'm not that happy with what they have to offer right now.

I do not believe there is a boot out there that can hold up to lots of fishing abuse. If these Korkers fail the test I'm going to be getting cheap boots and just replacing them every few months.

I had a set of Korkers KGB's a few years ago, absolutely worst wading boot I have owned since my high school days 15 years ago.

Sheehan makes a good point, pending on your style of fishing and where you fish dictates durability a lot. I'm a walker of railroad tracks and I fish a few very strenuous streams - my boot life is always one season max.

I had cheap Redingtons that I got a ton of use out of. Sure they started to fall apart but they are still functional and they are here for people to borrow. I currently have cheaper Orvis boots I bought from FFP and haven't used them enough to comment yet. Maybe 30 times. But I use my gear a lot and get out a fair amount. I mainly buy cheaper boots and just buy new..but I fish a lot and get a satisfying amount of use out of them..

3oh4 wrote:
I had a set of Korkers KGB's a few years ago, absolutely worst wading boot I have owned since my high school days 15 years ago.

Sheehan makes a good point, pending on your style of fishing and where you fish dictates durability a lot. I'm a walker of railroad tracks and I fish a few very strenuous streams - my boot life is always one season max.

North Branch is a boot killer!

It's almost like that place lacks Gravity and you have to take extra energy to cling to the Earth. I'll never understand why it is so much slicker than anywhere else.

I have Simms G3's for the past year. I dont think I have 100 days on them but I certainly have at least 1/2 that many days on them and so far they look about as good as they did new. They are comfortable for me and I will probably buy them again when this pair eventually wears out.

I just saw that TCO has their big sale on right now. Looks like they have a lot of boots.

Thanks guys. The search continues. Eff Korkers....

I feel you on the Korkers. I've had issues w/ them. Didn't get one season out of them.

I got LL Bean Gray Ghost, and I LOVE them. So comfortable, and pretty durable to boot.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
I feel you on the Korkers. I've had issues w/ them. Didn't get one season out of them.

I got LL Bean Gray Ghost, and I LOVE them. So comfortable, and pretty durable to boot.

I have a pair of LL Bean boots that are so narrow I can't even wear them. I have yet to ever find anything from LL Bean that actually fits me.

Where you fish and how you fish has a lot to do with how your boots hold up. I'm not changing where I fish or how I fish, so I've resigned myself to the fact that my boots aren't going to hold up. I often walk as much on trails to get to a spot on a stream as I do fishing on a stream, and I tend to fish small streams, so a day on a stream might be four miles in, and another four miles (or more) following the stream bed as it winds around. Or, the boots will bear the weight of a 35-40 pound backpacking on a 25 mile fishing/backpacking trip. That's a whole different set of wear and tear on a pair of boots that might otherwise hold up fine in a big river, where you move a couple hundred yards in an outing.

I'm also a firm believer that the geology of the area you fish in can affect your boot wear and tear (and also impacts the stickiness of the soles, if you fish with rubber soles).

I've had a couple of pairs of Korkers boots die prematurely, and one pair of Korkers soles that delaminated and shredded from the plastic bottom. I believe they were Klingon. I've been fishing with the Idrogrip studded soles and have been pleased with them. Pleased enough that I've forecast that the soles will probably outlive the boots they're currently attached to and I picked up the next pair of Korkers to move them to when the time comes. But nowhere near pleased enough that I'd ever pay full price for a pair of their boots; I only buy them if I can get them at half or more off of retail. Overall good customer service, but I only know because I've had to use it too many times.

Back