Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Wading Boots 2.0 (That aren't Korkers, please!)

From Flourtown, PA
I just saw that TCO has their big sale on right now. Looks like they have a lot of boots.

Posted on: 2/6 10:28

From SEPA
Thanks guys. The search continues. Eff Korkers....

Posted on: 2/8 20:44

From Ephrata, PA
I feel you on the Korkers. I've had issues w/ them. Didn't get one season out of them.

I got LL Bean Gray Ghost, and I LOVE them. So comfortable, and pretty durable to boot.

Posted on: 2/8 23:30

From Williamsport, PA
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:
I feel you on the Korkers. I've had issues w/ them. Didn't get one season out of them.

I got LL Bean Gray Ghost, and I LOVE them. So comfortable, and pretty durable to boot.

I have a pair of LL Bean boots that are so narrow I can't even wear them. I have yet to ever find anything from LL Bean that actually fits me.

Posted on: 2/9 10:39

From Lancaster County
Where you fish and how you fish has a lot to do with how your boots hold up. I'm not changing where I fish or how I fish, so I've resigned myself to the fact that my boots aren't going to hold up. I often walk as much on trails to get to a spot on a stream as I do fishing on a stream, and I tend to fish small streams, so a day on a stream might be four miles in, and another four miles (or more) following the stream bed as it winds around. Or, the boots will bear the weight of a 35-40 pound backpacking on a 25 mile fishing/backpacking trip. That's a whole different set of wear and tear on a pair of boots that might otherwise hold up fine in a big river, where you move a couple hundred yards in an outing.

I'm also a firm believer that the geology of the area you fish in can affect your boot wear and tear (and also impacts the stickiness of the soles, if you fish with rubber soles).

I've had a couple of pairs of Korkers boots die prematurely, and one pair of Korkers soles that delaminated and shredded from the plastic bottom. I believe they were Klingon. I've been fishing with the Idrogrip studded soles and have been pleased with them. Pleased enough that I've forecast that the soles will probably outlive the boots they're currently attached to and I picked up the next pair of Korkers to move them to when the time comes. But nowhere near pleased enough that I'd ever pay full price for a pair of their boots; I only buy them if I can get them at half or more off of retail. Overall good customer service, but I only know because I've had to use it too many times.

Posted on: 2/9 16:47

I've been wearing Simms vapors and really like them. I do alot of wading in the Susquehanna and where I fish getting to the river is no walk in the park. The fibram soles are holding up fairly well their not super tacky on rocks but I like wearing a boot that feels and acts like a good pair of hiking boots. Their at their best fishing in the warmer months with a good pair of neoprene socks. Their comfortable enough that I've left them on doing lawn work around the house after a day of fishing.

Posted on: 2/14 19:01

From United States
I thought I might be able to offer some additional insight as well.

Boot durability - I like to think of these as the uppers. I've never had an issue with Korkers or any other boot here, but all of my Simms G3's have been bomb-proof. Definitely heavier though...

Sole durability - the Vibram sole that is used on Simms will certainly last, but it's also really slippery. Once you add studs, the durability of the sole is reduced to the durability of the studs which come loose and wear out rather quickly (compared to the soles themselves).

Posted on: 2/15 16:33

From Delaware Co.
Love your shootouts keep them coming . The main part I appreciate is the honesty and unbiased info that you report. Thanks

Posted on: 2/16 9:46

From Pittsburgh
Has anyone tried the Patagonia foot tractor wading boots? They have the aluminum Z bars built into the soles for traction.
Seems like they would be very comfortable. But I wonder how well they perform in different stream situations.
And they're quite pricey

Posted on: 2/16 21:40

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Should curling be an Olympic sport?
Yes 84% (43)
No 15% (8)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2018/2/19 12:33
6 Comments

Copyright 2018 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com