Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Waders again.....
From Dallastown, PA
Afish,

I am over the color thingy...after realizing they are tan and my monitor is shot. Anyway, I still don't like tan either but life is full of compromises. I think Tan is too light a color for fishing. I am an olive or brown guy.

RLP,

It was me with the Weinnebrenners. They are junk. Just to restate the facts on the desintegration of an american made brogue. After 1 year of hard service (as some would say) they began to come apart at the seams, toes, etc. I contacted their factory Customer Service department with hi res pictures. and they got back to me saying "they were out of warranty but may be able to be repaired" I was irritated that I paid $150 for something that fell apart in a year but figured I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and sent the boots back ($13.00) out of pocket. They didn't respond for a week so I emailed again and they said "they had them there and looked at them and sent them back already" with a note: "These boots are too far gone for repair."

I was furious that I had to spend $13 more dollars for them to put the nail in their customer service shingle.

In the end, I sewed the toe on them and since then gooped them up and am still wearing them. I gooped them agian today. In fact the goop is still drying on my fingers as I type this. The studs are great and the support as well. It is just Weinnebrenners workmanship and customer service SUCK!

thanks for giving me the opportunity to blow my horn for them again.

Here is the weinnebrenners after 12 months of wear. (60-70 days on the water) Also check out how the left boot lace rings don't line up. If I had sent this issue to Orvis or Bean I would have been apologized to ad nasium. In fact i believe they would have never shipped them in the first place. Whatever. I am moving past this....until the next time.

Attach file:

jpg  WeinnebrennersA.jpg (0.00 KB)

jpg  WeinnebrennersB.jpg (0.00 KB)

jpg  WeinnebrennersC.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2007/11/6 12:20

Guest_
Maurice;
You're surely "not the first" to complain about Weinnebrenners; "shoes, and/or, service"! I've tried two pairs, of their boots over the years, (OBVIOUSLY, being a slow learner) and had trouble with both pair either just "falling apart, slowly" after a short while, or, merely "blowing up, like a bomb", all at once. Naturally, each instance was "MY fault" in some way.

With the length of time I've been wading, like others here, I've tried an awful lots of boots. Orvis.. as already been stated, stands behind their products very, very well. But so does "Korker", brand of boots and if you've never had any, or tried them out, I'd suggest them wholeheartedly.

I have the "multi-soles" model of Korker boots and have worn them, now, for 5 years and that's fishing about 130 to 160-some days a year, with them. I think I FINALLY was able to "scuff" one of them, after this amount of wear and tear! Plus, being able to "switch from felt, to hiking sole, back again, or to a felt/spike or spikes only", I really like, when fishing and walking on an all day trip.

I also love the Chota "boot foot" wader/boot, combo. Their all rubber/neoprene boot construction is second to none for comfort and so far, (after a few years), they've held up extremely well with no rips, tears, or, leaks.

Posted on: 2007/11/6 16:28

From Pittsburgh
I am surprised to hear about the problems with weinbrenner boots.
I had a pair I bought 15 -20 years ago - called Borger boots - and they lasted me a good 5 years of hard fishing. And even then, they were still in decent ship, although most of the felt had worn off. I would have bought them again, but they were a little on the a heavy side, and not real confortable. They were also american made, which I guess like everything else, they're now made over seas.

Posted on: 2007/11/6 17:14

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

dryflyguy wrote:
I am surprised to hear about the problems with weinbrenner boots.
I had a pair I bought 15 -20 years ago - called Borger boots - and they lasted me a good 5 years of hard fishing. And even then, they were still in decent ship, although most of the felt had worn off. I would have bought them again, but they were a little on the a heavy side, and not real confortable. They were also american made, which I guess like everything else, they're now made over seas.

Nope, they are still American made....have a US flag right on the tongue. Thats a big reason why I bought them actually. They are the Gary Borger, ULTIMATE wading shoe. Yeah right?!?

Flybinder, Which Korkers did you have? I am going with the Korkers. I decided on the Streamborn model, I listed a link above. Is it worth the extra $30 for the Guide model?

Posted on: 2007/11/6 18:02

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
Mo,

I got a pair of Korkers Wetland boots this past spring (now a discontinued model). I've been very pleased with them and I'm sure you'll like the Streamborn model. I've been mostly using the studded aquastealth sole for mine. Looks like that sole isn't an option for your model. Are you leaning towards the studded felt or the monster studded rubber soles?

Posted on: 2007/11/6 19:02

From Dallastown, PA
Greg,

I didn't realize the Aquastealth w/studs was unavalable. Shoot. For now I am going to give the felts a try but I know I will be wantin studs....More to ponder....

Posted on: 2007/11/6 20:57

Guest_
Maurice;
I wear the "Outfitter" model.
I also just checked Korker's web site, (because I couldn't remember, the name of my boot model!, I've just always called them "Larry") and saw that they're having a "2006 close out sale" for 25% off on these wading boots. ( www.korkers.com ).

The "Outfitter", comes standard with 2 pairs of soles....... 1ea. Felt pair & 1ea. Hiking Boot sole. After those, 2, there's about 6 more combos of soles to choose from, at about $30.00 a pair.

I was asked to try out these boots, when they very first came out, so was also given all the different soles to try, too. Studded Aqua Stealth, studded felts, straight studs, straight felt, the "Boat Deck" sole", etc. etc. the only sole, I would NOT recommend, is the straight Aqua Stealth sole.

I've heard a lot of hype on this "new rubber technology", as being "as good, if not better then, felt", and so on, but I've worn both-L.L. Bean's, Aqua Stealth and the Korker ones and spent more time on my BUTT, in ice cold water, than I ever did standing upright! Now, coupled with STUDS, which I also have, Aqua Stealth seems to work very well. (Korker's brand).

If you want to go "up in price a few pennies", then their "Guiide Model" is a really well made and VERY comfortable boot. These have 6, different, soles available for them. I've worn my "Outfitters" for over 5 years now, and just tried out the new "Guide model", this past season. But, I'll be wearing them, Steelheading all this winder, too, so that should really be the test for these new boots.

Nope, "I don't work for Korkers"!! And, no, I don't get paid to endorse anything they make! But a fishing buddy of mine, owns a fly shop and he asks me to try out new products, since I fish a hair more than the average Joe, I guess. So, "MY opinions" on things, like these Korker boots, are just that........... "MY" opinions, only Maurice!!

So, I was sold on the Korker boots, ONLY because I hate bruises, twisted ankles and having a sore butt, for half a season from slipping and falling down!!

Posted on: 2007/11/7 3:39

I had bad luck with Hodgman and Cabelas waders. I bought a pair of Simms, not the extremely expensive ones but some that cost around $230 or so, which seems like a lot to me. But they lasted a full season without leaking, which is a first for me.

I've heard that the Dan Bailey waders are good and reasonably priced. Has anyone had experience with these?

A tip to make your waders last longer. Make sure that your wading shoes fit properly. If they are too tight, that is bad of course. But if they are too loose, then the foot will slop around inside the wading shoe and wear out the neoprene at the heel and you get a leak at the heel that is hard to repair.

So take time in trying on wading shoes with the waders and socks etc. that you will be wearing and get the fit right. The sizing of wading shoes varies a lot. Sometimes they size them quite big, and your normal shoe size will be too large, so you may need to go a size smaller than your normal shoe size.

If your one foot is slightly bigger than the other, like me, then it gets even trickier. :-0

Posted on: 2007/11/7 9:58

From Enola, Pa.
Troutbert

I had Dan Bailey waders for three years now, best waders I've ever owned.

I know a couple other friends that have them and are very pleased with them!

PaulG

Posted on: 2007/11/7 10:28

I have a pair of the korkers guides- my only knock is that are not as supportive as some other boots. If you really look for support in the ankle there are others. I really need superior support due to my weight.

Posted on: 2007/11/7 10:30

korkers and simms

simms is much more stout

Attach file:

jpg  boot1.JPG (878.90 KB)
772_47321500223e7.jpg 2150X1613 px

jpg  boot2.JPG (504.53 KB)
772_47321512afba2.jpg 2150X1613 px

Posted on: 2007/11/7 14:42

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com