Wader Recommendation

Z

Zmill

I am in the market for a new pair of waders (breathable stocking foot). I am hoping to stay below $200 if possible.

Anyone have recommendations?

If I were in the market right now, I'd take a good look at Orvis Sonic Seam waders. Mad River Outfitters has them on Sale. I saw these in a fly shop and they looked pretty solid. Also had thin suspenders and were lightweight but the material seemed durable.

Just get something that fits your proportions, consider warranty, and most important meets your style of fishing.

If you look on ebay, you should be able to find Dan Bailey light weights for around $200

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?allwords=waders&searchdescriptions=True

Wife has Patagonia set of waders I got earlier this year. She has worn them around 10 times and no leaks. For around $100 no need to worry about warranty, etc, though there is a warranty in place. Sierra Trading Post has different close outs all the time, just check back from time to time. Go to fatwallet.com or slickdeals.net and you can always find a 15 - 25% off coupons and usually free shipping.

I second the recommendation for Patagonia. If look around you can find them on sale. Their Watermaster waders are around $299 retail. There isn't a company out there that can match there quality and warranty. I've had mine for 3 years of really hard use and no problems. I'm getting ready to get a second pair in the rotation.

Check out LLBean. They have some pretty inexpensive breathables that have great warranties. Buy those and spend the rest of the money on other gear. All waders will leak eventually, get a good warranty and move on.

Thanks for your help, I will be checking all of these out and will see which one works best for me. Then its time to head to the closest stream!

Well, I've gone through my share of waders.

Hodgeman's. 3 pairs leaked on me, each of them leaked under a year and finally got replaced right about at a year. Heavy use though. No holes, the fabric just stopped being waterproof. They are easy on the wallet upfront, and were very comfortable, though.

Since then I've been an Orvis guy. The cheapo model (currently called Endura, they were about $130 at FFP) lasted me 2 years of heavy use before first leak and were replaced at about 2 1/2 years. My current pair are Silver Labels, which just hit 3 years and sprung the first (minor) leak shortly thereafter. Haven't yet gotten around to seeing if its fixable. I think they ran me right around $200. Love the easy conversion to waste-highs, though. Most waders say they can convert but few are as natural a conversion as the Silver Labels.

I would go with the Orvis brand. Their warranty is excellent! You can even chat live with the customer service department. I have the silver labels, yes I have had a few seams leak, and they are easy to fix. You can send them back for repair/replace if you can't fix them. I've done so and have been sent new replacement waders.

I have a pair of Proline breathables that I bought in 2002 for $89 that have never leaked until this year. No kidding! I don't even know if Proline makes them any more, but I'll buy another pair if they do. And I wear them probably 50 - 60 times per year.

i have a pair of orvis sonicseams. i wouldn't recommend them. they work fine but after wearing the Silver Labels with the integrated wading belt, i hate wearing waders without it... it's like i'm in a waterproof potato sack race!

You can get a wading belt for a few bucks at any fly shop. I agree, they are nice.

Simms waders seem to fit well enough that it's not necessary, but I think it helps. Not to mention the safety factor.

I am surprised any manufacturer would sell waders without a wading belt due to liability issues. I about drowned myself in the Lehigh last year without a belt and ALWAYS wear one now and preach the virtues of the same.

Researched and Orvis Sonic Seams comes with a belt. I think he may have been referring to how the belt loops, etc are more built into the Silver Labels. WEAR THOSE BELTS!

Back