Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: WF or DT

From Bozeman
Quote:

pete41 wrote:
assuming one knows how to play fish.

You're the guy that always preaches unsportsmanlike light lining for the "sporting" aspect of tiring a fish out, right?

Do tell.

Posted on: 2009/11/24 15:51

From Pgh
Quote:

pete41 wrote:
unless your fishing for steelheads you will never see backing in Pennsyltucky-lol

Pete,
Don't tell that to the heavy fish on the Yough, especially when hooked in heavy water.

And if you go after hybrid stripers, make sure you have ENOUGH backing!

Posted on: 2009/11/24 15:56

no-when I was child in my 20s and didn't know better but I grew up-
face it trout,even rainbows aren't fighters-

Posted on: 2009/11/24 15:58

From Bozeman
Quote:

pete41 wrote:
no-when I was child in my 20s and didn't know better but I grew up-
face it trout,even rainbows aren't fighters-

Start a new thread. Stop hijacking this one. It's got actual info.

Posted on: 2009/11/24 16:03

From SEPA
Quote:

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
I use WF all the time

When I bought a 3wt, I bought a DT line because I felt that it was expected of me.

I'd like to try out a different rod, specifically the 4wt that's my standard, with a DT versus a WF and see which I actually prefer. On my 3wt, there's too many differences between the rods to actually get a feel for what causes some of the differences I see, as its lighter and 'boo. I do know I can roll cast it like its nothing, but my casting distances are significantly shorter, and I lose accuracy with the 3wt DT.

I've also been told that out to the length of the front taper, there's absolutely zero difference between a DT and WF line's castability.

Posted on: 2009/11/24 16:19

From Greensburg, PA
If you begin with a 90ft line and you cut it in half you have 45 ft. If you subtract the 9+ft you keep in the guides so you can manage the line with your hand you now have about 35 ft. That's 5 ft further than the distance between the down markers in football. I can spit that far. If I bought a reel that was too small for it purpose I would take off all the backing first. The backing doesn't help you cast so it has little use as you will get into your backing from any casting over 35 ft rather than from any fish taking you there. Now if all you make are 20 ft casts, you're set. But as the saying goes MOST of your fishing is done less than 20 ft...not all.

My advice is to never cut a line in half. Do what you like but that's my advice.

Posted on: 2009/11/24 16:42

From Bozeman
I'm with tom on this one. I think cutting the line makes sense in most ways, but I would never want my rod to become a specialized tool. I would hate to hamstring myself to short casting, because if a 20 inch brown was rising just out of reach, I'd probably throw the line in the trash afterward.

Posted on: 2009/11/24 16:50

From Gunpowder River, MD
How did we end up with 20 foot cast?

90' of dt split in half =45

I do not own a rod over 8 foot at the moment. I just do not see the need for the kind of fishing I do..So subtract 8 foot for the rod lenth end up with 37, add 10 foot leader =47 foot casting lenth, call it 45 if you want..

I just want to underline I through mostly drys..If I ever got in to steelies or fished out west I would invest in longer rod, but for now I just haven't the need..

Posted on: 2009/11/24 17:39

From Bozeman
Quote:

sundrunk wrote:

90' of dt split in half =45

I do not own a rod over 8 foot at the moment. I just do not see the need for the kind of fishing I do..So subtract 8 foot for the rod lenth end up with 37, add 10 foot leader =47 foot casting lenth, call it 45 if you want..

I just want to underline I through mostly drys..If I ever got in to steelies or fished out west I would invest in longer rod, but for now I just haven't the need..

Some of us just fish harder than others.

Posted on: 2009/11/24 17:44

From Gunpowder River, MD
Is that like "working harder not smarter"?

Posted on: 2009/11/24 17:46

From Gunpowder River, MD
:)

Posted on: 2009/11/24 18:04

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

sundrunk wrote:

as the saying goes MOST of your fishing is done less than 20 ft..

Others have often said that they do most of their fishing with 20 ft casts. Thats how.

If you only fish for 4 inch fish in 12 ft wide streams, by all means, cut all your lines in half. Add 150 yards of backing you'll never use rather than just leave the line you paid 50 bucks for in one piece.
Then go out and spend another 400 bucks for an outfit so when someone invites you to fish a bigger water you can go.

Posted on: 2009/11/24 21:52

From Gunpowder River, MD
I understand the "saying" and the practise...All I'm saying is I cut my dt line in half, and can cover a 40 foot cast with it...Like I stated before, If I'm casting over 40' I'll use my wf..Half a dt line will cast further then 2o feet..For dry fly work the progressive double taper offers a more subtle presentation..The wf has belly bulk which detours from effective roll casting, imo..

DT- for 80% of type of fishing i do.
WT- for remaining 20%

The biggest problem with pvc line is memory. Anglers who throw weight forward lines may recognize the compressed condition of the base line, as it gets squished down by the constant pressure of the line over top..With The Double taper line, the angler wants to utilize both tapered ends over time, so as to avoid perminat line ,compression, memory, resulting in ruin...

Posted on: 2009/11/25 8:38

i am with jayl on this one , alot of times fish are rising against the far bank in high pressured area , dt line is good for light presentation midge fishing this time of year if the stream is right for it , most of the time wf is all u need , most of the time brookie fishing the water is moving fast enough the fish don't care how hard the fly hits the water , its those frog pond pools u gota worry about , but some don't fish this kind of water , me included

Posted on: 2009/11/25 11:41

From Dutchess Co. Ny
I've been fishing a little tailwater up here in NY for 17 or so years. I've tried rods from 3-5 wt with WF and DT lines. I've developed a taste for shorter whippy 3 wt rods that don't deminish 6" native fish, lend themselves to creative casting, and protect 7 or 8x tippets from the 14-16" fish that i have the pleasure of meeting on occassion. I find that DT line tends to load up the rods better at shorter distances allowing for easier and more accurate shorter distance casting and more manageable roll casting. Now recently I aquired a 7' 3wt hardy marksman rod that is quite light and needs a very light reel to balance out. The featherweight reel is about the only reasonably priced reel i found thats light enough, though it won't fit a DT3 and much more than 5' of 12 lb dacron. So I cut the DT3 in half and put on some backing to help ease memory issues. I never gave a second thought to my casting distance being limited to 40 feet or so untill I was out on stream and making about the longest cast I'd ever need to make on this stream and happened to glance down at the reel. Not a lot of line left there. It won't ever be a problem on this stream or most of the other tail waters in lower ny though I'm bound to screw up and take it out on a bigger stream some day and I'm hoping when that does happen I'll just be able to laugh about it. I suppose I can see cutting of a DT in half as a specialty tactic for small streams and light rods. Can't really say that i'd recommend it for a 5 weight and probably not even a 4wt.

Posted on: 2009/11/25 11:54

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com