WF 3 wt. floating fly line opinions

S

SoYoCoTransplant

I am in the market for a WF 3 wt. fly line. I have narrowed it to two fly lines from two different manufacturer's. They are listed below:

Scientific Anglers Mastery Series Trout Taper

Rio Freshwater Series Selective Trout II Fly Line

I would like some feedback on both lines. I have decided on weight forward line and it will be floating.

The rod I am using is a Cortland Brook Series 6'-6" 3 wt. with an Okuma SLV reel. Nothing too flashy but something short for small stream applications. Light nymphing and varied dry fly presentations.

So I am looking for opinions (good or bad) on both of these lines.

I have the Scientific Anglers Mastery Series Trout Taper on my 4-wt, I like it. It is very "slick", noticeably more so than some other lines I've used. I can't comment on the Rio though.

I bought my first Rio line two years ago for my 3wt, works fine, I would buy another. It's the one your looking at the SS trout II.

Never owned a SA line!

PaulG

When I get below 4wt...it seems line brand matters less in performance. Buy a nice cortland 333.

I own the rio selective on a 4 wt and the SA XPS DT in a 3 wt. My opinion is that rio lines float a bit better but SA lines are a bit more durable. Own several lines of both brands.

I'd definitely choose the SA trout for the application you describe. The Rio selective has a long front taper which makes turnover at short distances, especially with larger flies, more difficult. Not what you want in a small stream rod used to cast big attractors, stimulators or roll casting in tight quarters.

I just noticed you are from wellsboro...sandfly has a shop at teh top of pine...go ask him since he fishes the same waters as you do, most likely.

Yep I know Sandfly. He is very knowledgeable. I appreciate your opinions gentlemen.

A very underrated and little known line is Ridge AirFlow Tactical Trout. I use this on my 3-5 weights.

The Rio Selective Trout was the first 3 weight line I used. It cracked and became useless within the first year and I take excellent care of my lines. (I still have very useable 35 year old Cortland 444 lines.) I then bought SA Exact Presentation Series line, which worked very well and is a grat line. I only replaced the line with the Ridge becauase I like Ridge better but the SA XPS line is a really good line.

Where can I get this Ridge Airflow?

THis thread would be incomplete without me stating that I buy my lines for $10-12.00 at WallyWorld. They are made by SA in generic looking packages. Ive bought my last expensive line.

SA Mastery Series ($60) cracked in one year (3 years ago)

Airflo ($50) was like a slinky. (10 years ago)

You know a good line is the cortland fair play on their starter outfits. If it wasn't that god-awful orange color I'd line all my rods with it.

Here's a DT3F Airflo Ridge line for sale

I have an Airflo Ridge line from this source on my 5wt and I absolutely love it. My wife ordered me a ridge line for my 4 wt for Valentines day and I'm anxiously awaiting delivery. It shoots like a dream.

I use the same Rio on my 3 and 4 wts. They replaced SA mastery trout. I like the Rio, but can't say they are better or worse than SA. Both are high quality products.

no love for hook and hackle lines? Sometimes they go on sale for $25! Many have said they're identical to cortland 444 lines:
http://www.hookhack.com/flylines.html

I just love this supplier. No affiliation, just have gotten great service from these guys.

I've used both. In fact, SA and Rio are the only fly lines I've used (but never the 3 wt). Truthfully, I can't really tell the difference. I had the SA line. After two years I bought a new line, it was the Rio selective trout, and it casted much better, I immediately saw the difference. But this winter I decided to change again, and bought the SA mastery because it was on sale, and now its light years ahead of the Rio. So, I think what I'm getting at is that I was seeing the difference between worn out and new, not between the brands. Probably has something to do with me not taking very good care of my lines. I'd buy either again, and I'm not sure there's much of a difference, you can't go wrong.

"THis thread would be incomplete without me stating that I buy my lines for $10-12.00 at WallyWorld. They are made by SA in generic looking packages. Ive bought my last expensive line."

Maurice,
You are a smart man, my friend. I spent $100 last year for Sharkskin. This stinkin' line cuts my fingers and makes noise when casting. I had to take it off my reel.
I've also purchased Orvis Gen 3 Double Taper line. Now that's a good line but I guess no better than the $10 stuff at Wal-Mart...... and it cost me $69.

I agree 100% with Maurice and I maybe able to out cheap him with equally good results. There are factory second lines floating DT & WF at $9.50 ea, full sinking at $9.50 ea, and sink tips at $10.50 ea. Order them at http://www.fortackle.com/order/CategoryProductsStore.asp?CategorySystemId=212&ParentCategorySystemId=17. They're in Denver and been in business for over 10 years. I have this line in 3 4 5 6. It is excellent line. Very durable and easy to cast. I've been using them for 10 years and they are still in excellent shape with very little care on my part. When other fly fishers cast this line, they say it casts and floats like $60.00 line. Of course this is before I tell them the price. Subsequently, they have also purchased this line with equally good results. It is made by Northern Sport in Guelph, Ontario Canada. They private label fly lines for many others, esp. Orvis. It is sold in the US under the name Aquanova, but hard to find. I was turned on to this line many years ago by the old time regulars fishing the Little Lehigh; they all used and loved it. It was sold by Dale Clemens in Allentown before the store was closed by their owners Gudebrod. Trust me you have nothing to lose and will be pleasantly surprised and smiling after you begin using it.
Tight lines, Larry

Oh, BTW, while I'm at being cheap, here are 2 excellent articles on Fly line winders from our friends at Fly Anglers Online. http://www.flyanglersonline.com/. then just search for fly line winders. I got my reel at Wally's for $6.85 Home Depot was 7.95. And used the spring loaded clips screwed into a plywood base to hold my old fly rod handle and clips to hold the electric cord reel so I could use more the 1 cord reel.
Tight lines, Larry
P.S. On fly fishing stuff I'm also tight with money. Not just lines. Don't get me started on the ridiculous prices and bullshit about large arbor reels.

I have some 3wt, for under 30.00 here

If it's for brook trout -- buy cheap!

Bob,
What 3 wt. line do you have thats under $30?

Back