Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Vibram sole wading boot

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
#1. With the chota's, you could put whatever studs you wanted in, and they sold carbide studs for them.

#2. While I agree with you about the disadvantages of the sheet metal screws, the whole purpose was how cheap and easily replacable they were. The idea was to replace them when they wore out, yes, even after a few outings.

Posted on: 2013/11/27 14:30

From State College
I ended up going with the sims freestone, I was prepared to spend more but it turns out the more expensive the boot, the more support (aka felt like a ski boot to me.) I hike too much to have that.

I have no problem with the way the tungsten star studs grip.

Posted on: 2013/11/27 17:07

From State College PA
FYI: The simms guide boot is on clearance at a few shops. I guess they are changing it soon. The flyshack has them for 149.00, That's 50.00 off. I picked up a pair even though I have an unused pair of riversheds in my basement. As the old saying goes: they will never go bad and prices rarely go down.

Posted on: 2013/11/27 18:45

From SE Pa
Quote:
....or buy the 3/8" Kold Kutter screws

http://koldkutter.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_22

Sounds like an effective tried & tested option .....

http://theflysyndicate.blogspot.com/2 ... ng-boot-studs-cleats.html

Posted on: 2013/11/27 20:04

From Nazareth PA
Quote:

springer1 wrote:
Quote:
....or buy the 3/8" Kold Kutter screws

http://koldkutter.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_22

Sounds like an effective tried & tested option .....

http://theflysyndicate.blogspot.com/2 ... ng-boot-studs-cleats.html

I just ordered the 3/8" Kold Kutter screws yesterday. When I get them, I will have enough to redo my Chotas and put them in my new Simms boots too.
Thanks for all the info.

Bill

Posted on: 2013/11/28 7:55

" It has always been my private conviction that any man who puts his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming"...John Steinbeck

From Nazareth PA
My Kold Kutters arrived yesterday, so this morning I put them in my Simms boots. I put 11 of them in each boot. I will have to take them for a test this week.

Posted on: 12/1 10:59

" It has always been my private conviction that any man who puts his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming"...John Steinbeck

From Eastern PA
I bought a huge sack of the 3/8" Kold Kutter screws a couple years ago and have installed them in 3 or 4 pairs of my boots as well as giving them to a lot of other people. IMO they have a better "grip" than the Simms tung carbide studs (the single ones, not the star ones as I have not tried them). To my knowledge I have not lost any of the Kold Kutters. The Simms got rounded rather quickly and became slick.

Andy, if you want some of them I still have a sack of them.

Posted on: 12/3 21:51

From Nazareth PA
I went fishing yesterday and the Kold Kutters were great. You can really feel them bite as you wade. I am going to refit my other boots.

Posted on: 12/4 16:42

From Lancaster
Quote:

whheff wrote:
I went fishing yesterday and the Kold Kutters were great. You can really feel them bite as you wade. I am going to refit my other boots.

You would be a great salesman, Bill. You definitely sold me. I guess I'll be getting some of those Kold Kutters before next season. There has been a lot of good information provided on this thread.

Posted on: 12/4 17:33

From Bucks County
Thanks for the feedback Bill. I ordered some this past weekend.

Posted on: 12/4 18:02

From WNY
http://www.solespikes.com/fishing/

It's all the rage out west.
$20 for 30 spikes is a bit steep.

Posted on: 12/4 20:44

From lebanon, pa
i have a pair of the simms riprap shoes. by themselves the soles are horrible on anything but the hike in and out. so i studded them with the simms studs, that made things much better, but lost studs like they were going out of style. i then upgraded to the simms triangle tungsten or carbide dealies. i've been very happy with them and only lost one in about two summers now.
just today i received my pack of 250 kold cutters. i'm going to leave the simms cleats in and fill in with the KKs. the cleats only came in a 10 or 12 pack. while they work great, there is plenty of shoe with no coverage, and i have found those spots a few times.

Posted on: 12/9 19:45

From lebanon, pa
Quote:
http://www.solespikes.com/fishing/

It's all the rage out west.
$20 for 30 spikes is a bit steep.

they look like a competitor to kold kutters...that somebody is putting a crazy mark up on.

Posted on: 12/9 19:48

I have and have HAD the Simms Vibram, I think it's called "IDROGRIP"soles. Compared to LL Bean's 5.10 Aquastealth soles, they are slippery death. But please, buy them if you want. Lots of people do and, as listed here, many seem to like them. I have waded the Allegheny and Oil Creek in them and, ooff! This coupled with a bad right hip made for really dicey wading. I use them for steelhead because those rocks aren't slippery. There is no rubber sole that I have experienced that is as good as Aquastealth. I saw Orvis is getting a new rubber sole material and a BOA lace. I''m in the market for that. I won't get my hip replaced until July. Bending and reaching to lace boots in waders is nearing an impossibility.

Posted on: 12/18 23:01

From SE Pa
studded felt soles and a wading stick for me. Added the wading stick, a piece of a birch branch, after I fell and ripped my knee open. For a few months afterward it hurt like hell. The stick makes me feel invincible again.

Posted on: 12/18 23:20

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com