Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Vest or Pack

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
I've tried many different solutions. I'm currently experimenting with a military style sling pack that will allow me to carry many fly boxes, a raincoat and water. This pack will normally carry on my back out of the way, but I can loose one buckle and spin it around my body to access the contents mid-stream. The jury is still out on this solution. Every solution is a compromise. You just need to find the one that works for you.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 8:21

From SW Pennsylvania
By far the best pack I've found. Love the magnetic closures.

http://www.riverbum.com/William-Joseph-Catalyst/

Posted on: 2012/7/25 11:02

From Philadelphia, PA
I use the orvis sling pack. I like this way more then a Vest. Very convenient and light. Fits everything I need.

Posted on: 2012/8/10 12:19

From Ephrata, PA
Sling for me. That's all I ever used. When I started C&R ffing, I just used my old creel. I tried a vest on year and hated it.

Posted on: 2012/8/10 13:11

From OH
Do packs have a waterproof pocket for phone, wallet, and license? Or, like with a vest, do you use a plastic bag for items you want to protect?

Posted on: 2012/8/10 14:42

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
I had and really liked the WJ confluence with zippers. I traded it to a board member, because I had a 50% off coupon for WJ. I then purchased the magnetic closure confluence and I love it. I can open and close it with one hand, which comes in handy a lot. I have had zero problems with the enclosure opening by themselves. I fit everything in my pack that I need.

Posted on: 2012/8/10 16:25

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From MONTCO
Quote:

SBecker wrote:
I had and really liked the WJ confluence with zippers. I traded it to a board member, because I had a 50% off coupon for WJ. I then purchased the magnetic closure confluence and I love it. I can open and close it with one hand, which comes in handy a lot. I have had zero problems with the enclosure opening by themselves. I fit everything in my pack that I need.

Why do I think I now have your old WJ?? I picked it up off another member.

Curious, did the magnetic pockets add any weight to the pack? I had them on an Orvis vest and that vest, empty, was heavy.

Posted on: 2012/8/10 16:55

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
You possibly do, don't know. I have not noticed any weight gains from the magnets compared to the zippers.

Posted on: 2012/8/10 17:02

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Pittsburgh, PA
I just recently converted from an old Orvis Guide Series Shortie to the Fishpond Waterdance Guide Pack.

Im not 100% sold. I really like the back support in the pack, but when stripping line and managing leaders they tend to get hung up on the end of the pack in the water bottle holders.

Additionally, wearing the waist pack requires that I move the pack back and forth from front to back which in turn opens the velcro belt on my waders. Its a pain in the ass. The pack itself is great. Its just the issues of the waist pack versus a vest.

I may go back to the vest expcept for hot days and use the Simms waist belt for back support.

Posted on: 2012/9/12 9:07

From Pittsburgh
I have a vest... I have a chest pack.... I have a sling pack... I have a lanyard. I love going lanyard only for quick trips. Otherwise no matter how many other ways I slice it I always seem to gravitate back to my Orvis slingpack. Love it!

Posted on: 2012/11/9 14:14

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
The price of packs/vests are appalling now a days. Spending 80 bucks for a fanny pack is ridiculous imo. Went into a brand new Dick's Sporting Goods the other day and saw an old timer pick up a pack that couldn't fit more than 3 or 4 items in it and the sticker said $60. I'll carry around a walmart bag before I spend that much on an 80's fanny pack.

Posted on: 2012/11/9 14:29

From Upper Bucks
I use waist packs. I have 3 packs set up for different types of fishing and I just grab them and go. If I am only going out for a couple hours locally. I'll just take out what I need and put it in my wader pockets.

Posted on: 2012/11/9 14:55

From Ohio
I made the switch to a waist pack a few years ago. There are pros and cons about a waist pack, nothing is perfect.

The pros: It can be moved out of the way when bushwacking and casting. it's versital, it can be worn in front, behind, or on the side. The water bottle holder is awesome. It fits more fly boxes and tackel than I could fit in my vest.

The cons: Can't carry rain gear, have to wear it. Does not work well with a backpack. pack ends up in the water when wading deep.

The wasit pack is a great piece of gear, but its not for every situation.

Posted on: 2012/11/9 19:04

From Parkesburg
Ryguyfi suggested a really nice vest from ll. Bean. Lots of carrying room and a lumbar support belt tjat transfers the weight from your shoulders to your hips.

Posted on: 2012/11/11 7:47

From Mount Joy, PA
For you guys that are using the Orvis sling, are you able to attach a landing net to it? I'm really contemplating making the switch to the sling...

Posted on: 2012/11/26 19:57

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com