Vehicle Rod Carriers

fadeaway263

fadeaway263

I always hate jamming my rod from the back of my jeep to the front dash board when I make a short jaunt from one stretch of the stream to another stretch. I saw this on Amazon. Anyone used this or something like it?

http://www.amazon.com/Rod-Saver%C2%AE-Vehicle-Carrier-System/dp/B000KOU0TW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_3

Attachments

• Carrier.jpg
    Carrier.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 8
Tilt has it. Seems like a decent solution.

That said, if you aren't transporting more than 2 or 3 rods, and you aren't going through ay low hanging branches, your vehicle is already equipped to solve your problem. You have windshield wipers.

Stick mine out the sunroof.

I had a home made surf rack on a pickup , mounted on the front bumper. I cut the slots a little deeper for the fly rods, then bunge cordrd the down, worked great. I only used it to go from one place to another close by. I always carry them in the rod tubes for transportation.

I suppose with some of these rigs or transportation practices you guys make sure your rods come with unconditional lifetime warranties?

Here is one from Cabellas

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Auto-ATV/Auto-Interior/Fishing-Rod-Racks%7C/pc/104796180/c/104697180/sc/104329980/Boat-Buckle174-RodBunk-Deluxe-Rod-Carrier/703644.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fauto-atv-auto-interior-fishing-rod-racks%2F_%2FN-1100768&WTz_l=SEO%3Bcat104329980

Attachments

• Cabellas.jpg
    Cabellas.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 2
fade

I have the system you pictured in my 4runner
the middle row "oh-****" handles hold the front strap
the rear strap is threaded through my headliner

perfect for the rear roll down windon on the 4runner
will fit a 9'
for 2handers, just split in half

perfect for keeping rods out of the way of dogs/people or for when you want to use a sleeping bag

P6040143.jpg

I have a fancy rod rack (Rod Loft Pro). Prior to using the rack, I haven't broken a rod in my vehicle. Since using the rack, 3 broken rods. I no longer use the rack. As long as you are careful, you'll be fine. See photo for high tech rod carrier. Lots of $$ just laying there but never broken. Yes, there are some tangles from time to time but you'll have glitches w/ technology. LOL

Attachments

• rod storage.JPG
    rod storage.JPG
    234.1 KB · Views: 5
Thats a beautiful mess krayfish

I love that picture and laugh everytime I see it. Good times

McSneek wrote:
I suppose with some of these rigs or transportation practices you guys make sure your rods come with unconditional lifetime warranties?

Yeah, I cringe everytime I see a recomendation for a hood mount or roof top rack that leaves the rod completely exposed while driving.

$500+ for rod, $200+ for a reel. Lets strap it to the top of the car and take it for a spin. Sheesh. I wouldn't even do that to a entry level rig. I'd rather break the rod down into two pieces and transport it safely inside my vehicle. Is 20 seconds of your time really that big of a deal and you need to be able to jump out of your car and be ready to cast immediately?

My vote is for the interior racks. Those rods are never going to be hit by a low branch or get struck by debris kicked up by other vehicles.

Kev

the setup I used to use when I had my van, it was awesome! gonna rig up something similar for the cap on my truck.

Attachments

• IMG_2619.JPG
    IMG_2619.JPG
    695.4 KB · Views: 2
krayfish wrote:
I have a fancy rod rack (Rod Loft Pro). Prior to using the rack, I haven't broken a rod in my vehicle. Since using the rack, 3 broken rods. I no longer use the rack. As long as you are careful, you'll be fine. See photo for high tech rod carrier. Lots of $$ just laying there but never broken. Yes, there are some tangles from time to time but you'll have glitches w/ technology. LOL

And Kramer can crawl around in that mess?

I have a Suzuki XL-7, a few ago I purchased the Rod Loft Pro and installed it in my vehicle and never take it out. Very easy to install and for me it was well worth the money and it has never broken a rod for me. I set it up for three rods and it's great. Makes it very easy to get the rods in and out quickly. Makes a big difference when your moving from stream to stream or to a different section on the stream that your already fishing. It just saves a lot of time from breaking the rod down then having to rig back up when you get to a new area. I think it's a very good product.

Biker has the right idea except needs the berkly (8.95) rod holders added. you can see one over my head. one end has a slot with a ring that turns to hold the rod.

Attachments

• DSCN0727.JPG
    DSCN0727.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 3
  • imagesCA0QSUKI.jpg
    imagesCA0QSUKI.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 4
  • imagesCAUEHT10.jpg
    imagesCAUEHT10.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 4
Back