Uv

J

JohnPowers

I did a quick rewind on the hook keeper of my IMX 4wt years ago. Never coated the wraps. Last night I ran a bead of the loon UV around them and hit them with the light and they look great. I wonder about the durability in this application. I've build a lot of rids and love the highbuild epoxy. One coat turn on the motor and bobs your uncle. Is there any buzz among builders on the uv for wraps or is it just too fragile?

The problem I see with the UV cure products are 1) It's brittle and chips easily. 2) It peals off of hard surfaces easily. 2) it is hard to cure the resin that get saturated into the tying materials or in this case, winding threads.

I think that a fast drying epoxy adhesive that's been thinned or warmed a bit is a better option for quick repairs. Durability, and adhesion are much better IMO.

It was just an experiment. Didn't feel like digging out the motor and epoxy. Your right on brittleness.

There was a uv cure wrap finish on the market about 10-15 years ago. I cannot remember the name however. I think it cured very quickly and held up well, but was hard to get as level and clean as 2 part epoxy or varnish.

The Hi Build stuff that would give that glass bubble with one application was the breakthrough to me. My rods trace my ability. I have a six wt IMX looks like a Cub Scout made it and a three wt im6 looks store bought. Needless to say you have to have a motor. Handy for turning those epoxy flies for the surf that never ever catch fish.

Back