Tying loop to flyline--could powerpro braid work?

Wildfish

Wildfish

I want to tie a loop onto my new (crappy) fly line that will hold tight for smallies and SW fish. I don't have any mono over 30lbs, and even that seems too big to make a nice clean knot. Could I use 50lb powerpro, or will the braid destroy the leader loop?
Thanks!

I want to tie a loop onto my new (crappy) fly line that will hold tight for smallies and SW fish. I don't have any mono over 30lbs, and even that seems too big to make a nice clean knot. Could I use 50lb powerpro, or will the braid destroy the leader loop?
Thanks!

If you're up for trying something different...

I just finished making a welded loop on a new line. Just cut the line at an angle, fashion the loop, then wrap and whip finish with thread. Finish with head cement, glue, or knotsense.

I'd expect a braid to cut through the line's coating.

Maybe I'll give something like this a try. So you don't strip the coating off of the flyline? Do you tie the flyline to itself, or just fold it over and bind it with thread and cement? Does that really seem strong enough?

Wildfish wrote:
Maybe I'll give something like this a try. So you don't strip the coating off of the flyline? Do you tie the flyline to itself, or just fold it over and bind it with thread and cement? Does that really seem strong enough?

Yup, been doing it for decades.....caught thousands of fish, some bigguns too. Never came unbuttoned, not even once.

Fold it over, bind with thread, and cement. No need to strip coating or tie knots (other than a whip finish in the thread).

I'm with Afish. It's held for dozens of salmon as long as my leg. The line will break before the loop fails.

I like to make the loop about a quarter to a half inch, and the total area of thread coverage a half inch or so. Just make sure to cover the entire join between the ends of the loop.

Great! I'll give it a try tonight. I don't like how the old line-to-dacron-loop works, and I'm too lazy to tie a nail knot for every new leader.

That's a great video, thanks!

Mods--I seem to have accidentally posted this thread twice. The second post thread has no responses, but I don't know how to delete.
Sorry.

For my 5 wt line I used 8/0 thread and then apoxy over the knot doesnt sink the tip and I've caught some big fish without it breaking.

I use the same method as mentioned above and never had an issue. Slides right through the guides too.

Wildfish, you dont need to tie a new nailknot for every leader....try nailknotting a 6" section of 25-30lb and put a perfection loop at the end...loop to loop connection with the leader. hinging has not been a problem for me

jeff

Great question and fantastic info/answer. I'm gonna start cutting my double surgeon loop knots off all my lines.

govtmule--
I usually tie on a dacron perfect loop with a nail knot, but I didn't have any dacron or mono over 30#. Wanted something a bit stronger since I'm heading to the salt (though I fish for stripers with 20#, so I guess that doesn't make sense).
Anyway, this method seems great (fewer knots to catch on the top guide). Let's just see if it holds.

Added note, I bound the loop with bright red thread to serve as an indicator just for fun...

If done properly it will hold!

Back