Trend in waders...advice?

M

mgh-pa

I know the subject of what waders to buy has been beaten to death (I did search and read lot, hence the reason behind this posting). I'm in the marker for breathable chest waders. I'm still fairly new at this sport, and I'm still using Cabelas neoprene waist heist waders for even late spring/summer fishing (can you say sweaty?). I'm still very new to the sport, and I will admit I'm still not fishing with extreme regularity (I may get out a few times in a month during the spring). Now, that may change depending on a lot of things, but it has be a little hesitant in dropping serious $$ into something like Simms G3's (which seems to come highly recommended by quite a few of you).

I feel that just a year or two ago when I joined this site and was reading about waders, a lot of members suggested not spending a ton on them, since they all seem to wear out, and leak within a year to three of hard use. However, since that time, research on here, has shown that a lot of you are suggesting higher end waders due to the fact that you get what you pay for (obviously).

My question for you is this. If I have Cabelas bucks I want to use (so I prefer purchasing from them), but I'm still unsure how much I'll be hitting the water this year, do I go for the top of the line? If I don't, what kind of life can I expect out of the Cabelas line?

I won't say money isn't a factor, it is. However, I'm willing to spend what I need to if it means doing it right (or right in the eyes of those giving advice in this thread). Thanks for any input you may be able to provide.

I have Cabela's Dry-Plus breathables. Cost me $119 and I'm on my 3rd year with them and I fish at least once a week and sometimes more. Yes, I've had to patch them a few times but nothing outrageous and they are comfortable. Just my 2 cents.

Foxgap239 wrote:
I've had to patch them a few times but nothing outrageous

Does outrageous involve a paint roller? ;-)

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Does outrageous involve a paint roller? ;-)

Don't be jealous because I'm making a fashion statement! :cool:

My cabelas Dry plus have lasted about 7 years now, and the only thing wrong with them is I threw the shoulder straps away on accident.

+1. I just bought another pair Saturday on sale for $99.00

My cabelas Dry plus have lasted about 7 years now, and the only thing wrong with them is I threw the shoulder straps away on accident.
Mine are 3 or 4 years old, I fish weekly, and I've only have to repair 1 pinhole from a briar.

And I don't baby them, go thru nasty places ... even dusted them up with camo paint - which has worn nicely and acquired a admirable patina! I really like them.

I was a contoler at the NE regionals at dpring creek and watched 2 guys saturday fish a 150 yard section almost all on there knees. Talk about wader wear. They had knee and shin and knee pads on. And they finished the Qualifier 1 and 3.

Rothco knee and shin

21KTrhPNs0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I like my Cabelas waist high breathables. Comfortable, roomy enough to make bending and kneeling easy when stalking. If only my knees and back worked as good.

Honestly, I don't work for LL Bean - I'm just 100% sold on them an the life-time warranty they offer on everything they sell.

For not much more than the $119 for the Cabela's, you can buy the quality LL Bean waders.

They are offering 20% off a lot of their fishing gear this weekend

Thanks for the information, guys. Very helpful!

Back