Traditional battenkill reels are no more...

PennKev

PennKev

FYI, the good old Battenkill is no longer being offered by Orvis for 2012. Only the BBS reels will be available. A cast aluminum large arbor reel is now filling the old Battenkill's price point. Just found this out yesterday. A check of the Orvis web site confirms that this is true.

Kev

Yep and there goin for closeout prices @ my local shop.

bummer! great reels, my 20 year old one still works like new!

Hell, I got to get some on closeout. I have 4 and have never owed a better reel!

Thanks for the heads up.
I've always considered the bat reels to be one of the best values out there.
I'm currently using one that's about 20 years old, and still in fine shape.
But I'll try to pick up another one before they're gone

The last Battenkill reel I looked at had a jagged edge on the line guard. It was new, and still in the shop. The Cortland Retro might be an option to explore for a small, light trout reel.

I have a Cortland Crown II. I have been doing some research and just today found a Crown II that was connected to Orvis. Is there a relationship between Crown and Orvis - past relationship because this reel is 25 years old. It's made in England and has an Orvis reel case. I'm not the original owner as it was given to me by a friend in High School over 20 years ago. It was old when he gave it to me and I just assumed that the Orvis case was from a separate reel.

Cheers,
Mike.

Sorry for the threadjack.
RichK wrote:
The last Battenkill reel I looked at had a jagged edge on the line guard. It was new, and still in the shop. The Cortland Retro might be an option to explore for a small, light trout reel.

orvis and cortland were both made by hardy back in the day. I have 2 cortland 444 reels that are identical to the old hardy multiplier reels. some of the old reels have inter changible spools.

Back