Tippet Rings

G

GStan

What size tippet rings are good for bass and carp leaders?

I use for bass the same ones I use for trout. Think they're 2mm and rated to 15lbs. My tippet is generally less than that so in my opinion there's no real need to have a heavier ring. For carp though, might consider going up a size for the tippet ring, but really only if your tippet is going to be rated higher than the rating of the tippet ring. And frankly as I think about it, for just bass and carp fishing subsurface, you could probably just use a swivel or split ring for a lot less money if you just want the luxury of changing tippet without having your leader get shorter over time.

As with knots on the leader, the one downside to any of the options above is that it's one more thing on the leader to snag weeds, etc.

Rings with a 2mm inner diameter will give you plenty of strength and be easy to work with while not seeming too large.

Sizing can be tricky as some brands list inner diameter and others list outer diameter. A 3mm O.D. ring will be a 2mm I.D.

If three sizes are offered get the middle size. If two sizes are offered get the larger of the two.

For what it's worth I've used the very small 2mm O.D. Rings for my steelhead nymphing rigs and have never had a problem of any sort. I'd feel completely confident using them for all but the largest carp. Even then you have to consider that your tipper will probably be far weaker than the ring.

Back