Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Tippet Ring

From OH
Probably covered by a different thread but, using tippet ring. Best used for.......?

Following is a site for tying in tippet rings.

http://midcurrent.com/videos/attaching-tippet-rings-to-leaders/

Posted on: 2013/10/23 14:26

Edited by fishbaithohaha on 2013/10/23 14:56:21

Re: Tippet Ring

From New Castle, PA
They have possibilities anywhere you join two pieces of leader/tippet together. Rings allow you to avoid nail knots, surgeons knots, etc. and eliminates the need to cut back you leader every time you re-tie tippet. They also provide a convenient and easy point of attachment for droppers in multi-fly rigs.

Personally, I really like using them on the end of a sighter in a Czech rig so that I preserve the full length of the sighter when re-rigging. I've also used them on the end of a fairly heavy butt section for indicator rigs, however they are a little small for use with heavy mono. Not sure using them with anything above 20lb test is feasible. The hole is pretty small.

Notice that the video you linked also shows small swivels. Probably a better choice when using heavier mono. Either way, rings or swivels, they can make rigging easier and re-rigging faster. You can also easily do without them. Some people might have a problem adding "hardware" to their leaders but they already fish an indicator, split shot, and a weighted fly. It's really up to you, these aren't a "must have" for most people.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 14:49

From OH
Thank you for the thoughtful response.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 14:54

From Ohio
There is another thread on this topic. You should search it out, I think there was some good info there. Bottom line, tippet rings make leaders last longer. The tippet ring allows you to tie a new piece of tippet to the ring each time you replace the tippet, you won't eat into the leader each time you tie on a new tippet. The work with both hand tied or knotless leaders. They will float in the surface film so they can be used when fishing dry flies as well as for streamers, and nymphs. I use them on all my leaders now.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 21:21

From Ohio
Quote:
Notice that the video you linked also shows small swivels. Probably a better choice when using heavier mono.

Starting last year I've been using small swivels more and more on my nymph and streamer rigs. As mentioned, like tippet rings they save your leader and make re-rigging a lot easier. Haven't used them with dries yet, but as boychick mentioned tippet rings and some of smaller swivels are light enough to not sink your fly.

Another advantage to using swivels and tippet rings is you can leave the tag end on the knot and attach your split shot to it, this way if your spit shot gets snagged up most of the time you'll just loose your shot instead of your whole rig. Just learned about that last month at a presentation and have been using that method since. Plus you don't have to worry about your split shot sliding down to your flies......just gotta tie in an overhand knot or two to make sure they don't slide off the tag end.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 21:57

From Wayne County
The use of the Barbie doll in that video is really clever,cracked me up.

I use tippet rings, especially on nymph rigs. They increase the life of the leader and make changing tippet faster. I sometimes leave the tag end long and attach a nymph to it.

Using swivels with streamers reduces line twist which I sometimes (not often) get when throwing meatier stuff.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 10:21

From OH
Have limited experience, nymphing or steelhead fishing. Leaving a tag end is good.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 10:40

From Newville, PA
I chuckled when I first saw them several years back, but they have become an indespensible part of my fishing today. Let's face it. Unless you are made of money, leaders have become quite expensive and anything. I can do that extend there life is a plus. An added benefit is reducing the time it takes to re-rig on stream. Like my old man always told me, it works better then the hook is in the water.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 17:30

I have tippet rings on the end of the furled leaders I us. I use them with even down to 7x tippet and size 24 dry flies with no problem at all.

Bill A

Posted on: 2013/10/25 10:54

From Clinton County, Pa.
I tie my own leaders and ALWAYS use a tippet ring between the end of my leader and the tippet. I do this with nymph and dry fly leaders both.

Posted on: 2013/10/25 17:24

From Stevens,Pa.
I see no use for them today with our excelent mono. and Floro. their was a time when they played a role when you fished with cat gut leaders, and silk lines.

Posted on: 2013/10/26 19:36

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Quote:

brookieaddict wrote:
I see no use for them today with our excelent mono. and Floro. their was a time when they played a role when you fished with cat gut leaders, and silk lines.

Did you read any of the responses in this thread, because many of them made very logical conclusions as to the benefits of tippet rings.

Posted on: 2013/10/26 22:56

From Da 'Berg, PA
I buy them in 50's from jewelry makers on eBay. About $8 I think.

Posted on: 2013/10/28 0:23

From Lansdale
" I buy them in 50's from jewelry makers on eBay. About $8 I think."

geebee,
Got a link ?

Posted on: 2013/10/28 9:19

From York PA
Good post and video. I have some tippet rings but havent used them yet. I do have some 7.5 ft 5X and 6x leaders i have used surgeons nots on and have probably been reduced by a foot or so. This looks like a good use for my tippet rings to reuse by shortened leaders by adding the appropriate 5x or 6x tiippet material.

Posted on: 2013/10/28 16:10

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com