Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Tippet Preferences

I like the Rio Fluoroflex plus for the small diameter and excellent strength

Posted on: 2007/1/31 18:54

From Doylestown, PA
Hey guys this has been a great learning experence! Thanks for the education. One last question. I fished a knotted leader a couple times, moss kept clinging to the knot sections. I guess that comes with the turf. Is that natural....

Posted on: 2007/1/31 20:31

From Altoona, PA
Yes, it's another reason some people give them up.

Posted on: 2007/1/31 20:35

From Chester County
I tie up my own knotted leaders but generally use them for special situations. One extreme would be George Harvey formula for tough situations where you need slack in the leader, and the other extreme would be a short steep tapered leader for streamers. 90% of the time I use knotless leaders and taper the last third of the leader as needed – short taper for wind resistant flies or streamers and longer taper, longer tippet small diameter for small flies.

I use only a couple leaders all season. As they become shorter from trimming, I add sections of tippet material to adjust. The leader formulas are a guide, but I experiment to see how much tippet and taper I need to turn over you fly, or dump slack into the line. As long as you stick close to the general rules: No more than 2/1000’s diameter differences between sections, and 20% butt – 60% taper – 20% tippet you should be okay.

Some use a micrometer to measure diameter, but I don’t feel that you have to be that exact. I usually use the same leader for wooly buggers cut back to 71/2’ maybe 3x, or I can build it out the same leader to a 14’ 6x for midges. If you prefer, you can carry different leader tapers for different situations. The most important thing is to cast and fish it, and adjust until it works. The next time out you will have a good idea of what leader taper will work best in each situation.

Posted on: 2007/2/1 9:23

From Delaware Co.
When I went to the Fly Fishing show there was a Froghair stand and the guy showed me the strength of several tippet company's line when a knot was tied in. Froghair was by far had the best strength out of all the tippets, but its also about 2 bucks more per spool I would recommend it for light tippet for trout but its overkill when fishing for bass. Just my short and to the point 2 cents

Posted on: 2007/2/2 1:16

From Attitudinally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
I like what Afishinado had to say. I basically do the same thing.

I used to tie all my leaders from the get-go, but more and more, I'm inclined towards things that simplify rather than mystify or complicate So now, I buy Bass Pro Shop knotless leaders because they are cheap and have good stiff butt material. Usually, I'll buy 7 1/2' 3X and 9' 4X in the packages, cut off roughly 3/4 of the tippet section and tie in my own. Then I replace sections PRN until I have to start replacing at or above 0X (like .013 or thicker) I use whatever I have handy for these middle sections, often Cabelas-branded Climax or sometimes Stren. Then, I'm partial to Orvis SS and the regular Rio for tippet. Frog Hair is interesting stuff, but I don't think it holds a knot particularly well (I use a uni-knot at the fly). But that could be me. I may not be holding my mouth right when I tie my knots...:)

I don't own any florocarbon that wasn't a gift from somebody else and generally I don't think that much of it, at least not in a value sense.

Leader formulas are very situational and while the Harvey leaders work well, I've never made a point of adhering to any given formula other than the basic 20/60/20.

But it can pay, IMO, to be creative with leaders and occasionally break some of the so-called "rules". For example, when I was fishing a lot of really tight quarters places in PA or the southern Appalachians, I usually fished a fairly short leader (say 7' max.) that had a longer butt and then went directly from OX to a 4X tippet. Usually, IMO, Afishinado is right and you don't want to exceed a 2 mil transition in your sections. But this leader was excellent for punching a short line and turned over pretty well even if it violated every rule of leader design.

Sometimes, the only thing the rules are good for is breaking...

Posted on: 2007/2/2 18:56

From WNY
Rio Power flex for air resistant flies and mid section of leaders.
Frog Hair for general purpose tippet.
Frog Hair flouro for clear water nymphing.
Dai-Riki Dynamic for tiny dries.

Posted on: 2007/2/3 11:57

From Enola, Pa.
I've never tried frog hair, going to give it a try this year!

Posted on: 2007/2/3 12:13

From Lock Haven, PA
I just use Berkley Vanish. I don't see why its so important to use materials directly made for tippet because to me they are all very very over priced. I use Vanish 2 pound for lower water conditions, 4 pound is my every day, and 6 pound when it gets higher and muddy. I love the stuff and its so much cheaper then buying regular tippet material.

Posted on: 2007/2/4 0:54

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com