Tip-top

albatross

albatross

I broke my rod Tuesday right below the tip-top. Its a clean break and I've only lost about an inch of rod. I'm thinking I can just replace the tip-top and live with an 8 foot 11 inch rod. I found this kit online (http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/OR-001160-0000/45300/J.-Stockard-Fly-Rod-Tip-Top-Replacement-Kit.html).

Can I do this myself with no rod building experience? Will this kit likely give me what I need? Any other sage advice appreciated. Comments on how many rods I've broken in the last 3-4 years will be tolerated provided they are accompanied by sage advice...

Alby,

Tip Tops come in sizes measured by 64's of an inch. In other words a Size 4 TT would be 4/64" a 4.5 = 4.5/64, etc. Measure the tip (with a micrometer) and order the correct size. Also many builders use 5minute epoxy for TT's rather the Flex Coat stuff. See if a shop in the area has a TT. The shipping would cost more than the part, which sells for $1.50 - $5.00, depending on the mfg. Good luck. BTW, the thread wraps below the TT are just for decoration.

http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/XFT-Fly-Tops

Just wondering Alby which rod was it that you broke?

Absolutely. Just make sure and inspect the break to make sure there isn't a vertical fracture you haven;t noticed yet or you'll be doing it again. A buddy of mine broke his tip off when I went to visit him in 1996 and last summer when I saw him he was still fishing with that same repaired rod. The hard part will be buying the correct size. I have a little gauge that came with my rod building stuff. I have a stick of the "thermal tip top adhesive" (hot glue stick) as well. It only takes a little and I just heat it up and roll the rod tip on the stick to pick up the glue and slide the tip top over the glue covered tip and wipe off the excess before it dries.

Of course I can't find my rod building stuff right now...did I lend it out again to anyone? There might be a tip top in there.

Student wrote
Just wondering Alby which rod was it that you broke?

Its my 9 foot 4 weight Redington CPX. Part of my motivation for repairing it myself is to get it ready in time for the Jamboree, can't be without my 4 weight for sulphers...

Thanks Tom and Tom for the advice and encouragement. I'll get my micrometer out tonight and make sure I get the right size.

If the rod is still stuck in the tip-top, use a match or lighter and the rod will pop out like a turkey temp thing that comes in your turkey.

I'm guessing your original tip-top will fit the rod still.

Super glue or epoxy will work. Borrow ferrulle cement, or go to a shop and they can pop it back on for you. I used to do it for free as long as they didn't want a thread wrap up there (which isn't needed 100%).

Alby.........Depending where you are in these Laurel Highlands , there are several shops around that can fit you up and help you out , there is one in Rockwood , there is Gander MT. in J=town , ther is a shop on rt 22 near Ebensburg , the local folks need our business too. keep in da house. oh yeah there is an orvis shop in Ligonier.

If the top still fits, I've got the adhesive for ya. Lemme know.

Alby actually has a Gander mtn. near him but I don;t remember if they have tip tops...I may go there today for my own purpose...would you like me to check?

I have seen three broken rods on three different rivers. :hammer:

I'm going to try MKern's idea of recycling my old tip-top. I should have time to try this tonight. I really appreciate everyone's input.

Bruno wrote
I have seen three broken rods on three different rivers. :hammer:

Thank goodness you weren't around for the other two I broke...
:oops:

Most of their rods have a lifetime warranty. If you need it right away you can do it yourself, but I'd take some pics before you start repairs and contact them about getting a new top section.

Alby to be honest I'd call Redington and explain the situation. I'd just tell them this is the 2nd rod in the series you've broken and you need it for a coming trip(try not to mention if it was your fault or not.)

I've had really good experience with their support dept. A friend had a rod break a couple times. Called them up about the tip breaking, they sent him a new one within a week. Didn't have to return the rod or anything for exchange.

Give it a shot, they're pretty accommodating usually.

Not familiar with Redington's return policy... but I broke my TFO rod that I use for steelhead and got it back in 8 days. I've heard nothing but good reports from them. Might have enough time to get it back repaired or with a new section.

my redington broke about 10 inches down from the tip and i sent it back they charged me 30 dollars and sent me a new cp rod, it took about 2 weeks

$3 worth of epoxy from Stuff-Mart and its good as new. I am now the proud owner of a custom Redington CPX 8 foot 11 1/4 inch 4 weight rod.

Bruno..............3 rods on 3 rivers , is that some kinda Yinzer burgh thing? I think that would be a good name for a band or a song title. It could be the theme music for a PAFF video about fly fishing in SWPA , i think ya might have something there.

Nothing like a custom rod,imo.

I am curious. How far from the tip is the first guide? Did it break while fishing or was it an accident? Rods will not normally break there while fishing unless the first guide is too far from the top and the rod is high sticked under load. Even then the break is usually further down. Right above the ferule.

Back